Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member. watch me section my Desoto.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rytang, Jun 29, 2016.

1. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Fucking killer post man! Loads of talent!

rytang likes this.
  2. On your profile page under albums you could create a album and put the pic's of the sons bike there. They are pretty good about that.

3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I built and ot Squareback years ago. I slotted the bumper brackets where needed, then took a 1/2 spacer, with a sharpie taped to it and drew it out and kept trimming and sliding the bumper in a bit at a time until it was about 1/2 inch off body. I only had to do a small filler pan. I did not bring out anything from the fender to meet it, it didn't need it. I will look and see if I have pics. Yes I was worried about the bumper meeting the body in an accident, but since the car was low enough I don't imagine the bumper would have done any good.

rytang likes this.
  4. dicer2000

dicer2000

This build has totally inspired me. You obviously think long & hard about what you want to do next. Then you go do it! Great job

rytang likes this.
  5. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you! I love weird... Do you have any pics of the door idea? And a tig setup?? I'm not that far away!! :)

6. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you!

7. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

If I get rear ended in this car... They'd run right over it! I'd love to see pictures! I'm hoping to start working on it tomorrow.

8. matter

matter

Google Kaiser Darrin. The Kaiser Darrin in the first couple pics might be not quite right on your car but the Darrin Packard in the last pic is along the lines of what I pictured. Maybe work in a partial fadeaway...
    I have a friend that has some old 400 lb 250amp Hobart Tigwaves that are no longer being used in his shop. I will try to hunt him down and see if he still has any good ones.
    Kaiser-darrin-4.jpg
    darrin 1954KaiserDarrinRoadster.jpg darrin 1941_Packard_Clipper_Darrin_Convertible.jpg

kiwijeff, timmy2times and rytang like this.
  9. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

That shoots down what I was thinking which was finishing out the sheet metal in the rear and then run nerf bars.

I was also thinking of finishing off the quarters the way you want, cut the ends off the bumper and fit the center nice and tight to the body. Then use round bar and sheet metal and fab new ends that fit nice and tight to the body keeping the same width across the top (looking straight down at it) as the center of the bumper around the quarters and taper small as it goes around the quarters and heads toward the front of the car, keeping it tight all the way around. Maybe French it into the quarter on the side of the car.
    I don't know if that'll make any sense to you or not. I can see it but can't explain it too well.

Kevin

rytang likes this.
  10. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

So I'm getting ready to start the bumper area... I think I'm gonna make a pattern out of a 2x6 then heat and shape round bar to that, so I'll have the same curve as the bumper... Without messing the bumper up. Does that sound like it'll work?

11. Yeah that should work the benefit will be you can do all heating and bending on the 2x6 pattern without touching the chrome on the bumper. Just take your time and make your pattern as accurate as possible and allow for shrinkage on the round bar after cooling. Basically check all fitments many times and post pics so we can enjoy the process!! Hobo Jim

rytang likes this.
  12. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

So today I fully shaped the round bar, around the bumper. Which allowed me to measure and mark around the taillights onto the bumper. So the bumper could be trimmed to fit the new taillights. Then I installed the bumper, and checked the round bar until it fit perfect. Tomorrow I'll take the bumper back off. Then I think I'm gonna cut the bottom half of the car off... Like the roll pan i made years ago, cut that section off. So the new apron will be the bottom of the car. (I hope that makes sense) I just think it will look funny if it has a molded apron, and a roll pan too. (Even tho you can't see any of it when the bumper is on) Then start building the frame for the apron.

*I want the car to look good even when the bumper is off

**Any thoughts or suggestions for cutting the bottom off?? 20160924_162150.jpg 20160924_174029.jpg

kiwijeff and uglysteve like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'd have to see the area your thinking of chopping off first, though I like the direction your headed

rytang likes this.
  14. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

This is a photo of it when i made the roll pan, before the section. I made the roll pan years ago (was going for a different look back then)
    Now I'm making the apron go to the edge of the bumper, and extend from the new (sectioned) trunk area.
    So I'm making an extended horizontal apron to meet the edge of the bumper. But the car already has the roll pan going vertical. That's where I wanna cut.
    You won't be able to see any of the below portion when the bumper is on. But, I want the car to look right when the bumper is on or off. FB_IMG_1467481835300.jpg

RockinRivi likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So your talking about cutting the pan just below were the apron meets it?

I'm cool with that but I do know some 40's cars had more or less a full roll pan even though a splash apron bolted on so you couldn't really see it.

I say cut it if you think it'll look more flattering with the apron. If your just doing it because you think it's weird to have a pan and the apron it's not at all. But still feel free, not like it's the first time you'll have cut into it lol

16. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Yes. But the car looks different now. In that photo, I took 4 inches out in the area where the gas filler used to be... So that whole area is gone now. I just think it will look better with out the roll pan. I gotta cut it now if I'm gonna. I think I'm gonna.

RockinRivi and lurker mick like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Then by all means chop away :)

rytang likes this.
  18. choptop40

choptop40

not much to cut off...id keep the doors the way they are...maybe a Duval style windshield....mmmm.

rytang likes this.
  19. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Well today I got the old roll pan cut off and trimmed, and started making the apron frame. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the frame. It's hard to tell in the pic, but I got a nice even gap all the way around the bumper. 20160925_184507.jpg

RockinRivi, kiwijeff, AndersF and 5 others like this.
  20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Fit looks great, is the new apron going to be flat from the body or are you going to flare it out?

rytang likes this.
  21. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

It's going to curve up to the trunk, then I'll make another curve on the bottom side too.

22. Neat to watch someone with a vision and the talent to put it into being.

whiplash1923T, Johnboy34 and rytang like this.
  23. Whats funny is ive seen tractors and other old style stuff. But a almost ed roth style chop is tabu. I dont understand not saying there should be a build thread on it here but hey kids doing a good job and work was going slow anf in the development stage why not see eye candy while thinking

Sent from my LGMS330 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Got the frame made. Gotta take the bumper back off and finish welding and start sheet metal. 20160926_121534.jpg

25. Heck, one thing I have just noticed is the raw steel around the new tail lights is still looking like it has just come from the manufacturer where as here in New Zealand, just touching that with your bare hands and then left it would be covered with surface rust within a day. I really really need to move to Arizona ,USA for some humidity free air. Even the chrome on the T Roadster will have to be done again due to surface rust so yeah, I'm jealous of your climate.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's so hot there it just burns the rust off lol.

I like the idea of the curve into the body on both the top and bottom. It wil look finished from both sides and in my head it should make it stiffer so you've less chance of it having a weird resonance on the highway

27. mutant55

mutant55

Hey man, I just came across this thread today, you have some mad metal forming skills. I am not a custom build guy normally, but this car is coming out SICK! Keep up the great work, it looks like you enjoy doing it for sure, you have a great vision that your making come true here, I am subscribing to your thread, I have to see the finished product.

rytang likes this.
  28. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Got the frame welded and ground. Ready to start playing with cardboard! The sheet metal is gonna be tough on this one. I have a feeling it's going to test my ability.
    You can also see I cut the roll pan off in this photo. You can see now how I plan to have this be the bottom of the car.

It's quite a small body now.
    20160926_165010.jpg

29. Just found this thread, good shit! Keep it up.

rytang likes this.