Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drivinford, Aug 15, 2016.

1. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I like it man! Nothing ratty about it. Maybe different, but we cant all build the same shit. Keep doing your thing

2. Drivinford

Drivinford

What do you mean featured?

3. Drivinford

Drivinford

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm building this one the way I want it, it being called a rat rod doesn't bother me, thought someone was a little jealous to be honest.... anyway here's a pic of a cowl steering arm cover I made up IMG_20160917_202940.jpg

4. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Nice build. High quality craftsmanship. Most people can see past a difference in opinion on style and still admire skill. Sadly, some can't.
    Featured indicates a moderator or wheel here on the HAMB appreciates your thread.

5. A nice quality build is just that no matter what it is called. Unless someone has lived and understands where we here on this board are coming from, they will not understand and use all kinds of terminology to describe our rides. I just smile and give them a short explanation, showing them the light. Convert them one at a time I say - with numbers we have on this board, it shouldn't take too long!!!!

Back to your build, I like the wicked but slick look you seem to have going on at the same time - very nice work, very nice indeed!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    keywestjack and Danekejt like this.
  6. Drivinford

Drivinford

Oneside of the visor smoothed to the body IMG_20160918_191807.jpg

7. Never2low

Never2low

WOW! Damn that looks nice!

OLSKOOL32 likes this.
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's a Way-Cool-Hot Rod.
    Beautiful craftsmanship.
    Love the engine placement, has the style seen in the mid-50's and later Altered Drag Coupes.

Dodge Coupe 1929 1.jpg

BradinNC, clunker and kiwijeff like this.
  9. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Looks good, what's the reasoning on the motor placement?

10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Awesome metal work. A's rule!

11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

It's too nice to be a rat. Mind sharing how you smoothed that visor to the body ? Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Drivinford

Drivinford

Motor placement is high because I like the "I gotta look around my carbs while driving down the road" look, that and the car will sit low and I don't want the risk of oil pan fracture from road debris

kiwijeff, Inked Monkey and AHotRod like this.
  13. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

14. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Car looks great ,it's about time some one builds a car the way they want.
    Instead of them all looking like the same guy built them.
    Blvdbill

clunker, Danekejt and DdoubleD like this.
  15. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Header tag on main page. Congrats. Featured post. P.S. kick ass work.
    P.S.S. Even better your first feature!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  16. oldsboy

oldsboy

This is great work. I'm excited to see how it comes together.

17. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

It seems to depend who you ask, as to what actually makes a rat rod. I think they are "art cars" with everyday items re-purposed as components, but some may disagree. Either way, I envy their creativity. Our '28 RPU has been called a rat rod, although i think it is more traditional....ish.... whatever..
    Drivinford, your fab skills are great and I really dig your build thread. keep the updates coming.

18. Drivinford

Drivinford

Thanks alot guys!! Glad u dig it!

19. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I think different people have different ideas of what a rat rod is. The stance you have mocked up is low like a rat but you are doing top notch fabrication and sheet metal work. This car is not a junk pile welded together with skulls and spider webs all over it. Put a nice paint job on it and some interior in it this car will be bad ass. definitely not a rat based on your quality workmanship. Keep up the nice work. HAMBers are a little sensitive to the word rat rod.

20. Love_The_Lifestyle and Racer29 like this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

I like it and will continue to watch the progress. Great Job!

22. 55chevr

55chevr

When anyone invokes the phrase "Rat Rod", it inspires venomous reactions from some of the purists that are active on this forum. In short, it brings out the worst in some. This forum focus is on old time hot rods and perhaps some participants are over protective of that concept. I think the real focus is that we all build in our garages. No Richard Rollins Ass Monkey hired fabricators. We share knowledge and concepts. I personally appreciate SAFE good work, good imagination, be it old time, modern, or rat rod. My model A coupe is planned for an LS1 4.8 engine. Old time 6" chop, straight axle, track T nose, modern engine. I am straddling a number of genre's. Some will like it,. That is great. If they don't, I can live with that.
    Joe

23. Drivinford

Drivinford

The rear end is just sitting there, the car won't sit that low, frame is welded and clamped good to the frame table while I finish cross member welding, wheels and tires just showed up so next week I will hopefully have a pic for you guys of where it's gonna ride! Car is going bare metal for now! Thanks

24. Drivinford

Drivinford

One more piece of the puzzle 20160921_233716.jpg

25. Drivinford

Drivinford

IMG_20160922_132940.jpg Painted the wheels today and messed with front brakes... #expensiverat IMG_20160922_113456.jpg

kiwijeff and AHotRod like this.
  26. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

27. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Drivinford Please ignore the ass holes who make stupid remarks like Rat- Rod. I drive a Rat - Rod every day, it is a fun car! I will never understand the mind set of some people. Do it your way, It looks great!

28. Drivinford

Drivinford

29. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Hey Don so you gotta share a pic of your daily rat now. Im curious to see what you got. Drivinford great build and skill.

30. Drivinford

Drivinford

Ya Don let's see this thing