Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Know anything about these car flippers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bird man, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

In at least one instance, they lift a seller's photos and post them up on their site without the owner's knowledge. While being somewhat short of the epitome of virtue myself, that smells a little fishy.
    http://www.classiccardeals.com/Page/FAQ.aspx

LostBoy likes this.
  2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

no its all good ...trust em...

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

buyer/seller beware

4. LostBoy

LostBoy

I had a guy do that to me on two separate occasions when I had two motorcycles for sale. My buddy tried to buy it from him but he must have caught on because we were going to roll him hard if he showed up and he never did.

5. Yeah, really. I had a photo I took of my old 37 Pontiac show up here on the HAMB in the for-sale classifieds. I'd sold the car years before but still.......the guy could have used his own photo if he even owned the car. I think he was scamming and didn't own the car at all.

6. jdownunder

jdownunder

Ok so I was keen on a 65 mustang on egay 10 years ago so I placed my
    Bid.what do you know I won the bid. Turns out this was a guy in the Netherlands selling photo's of a car in Georgia .when he told me to western union the money and the only way of communicating was by FAX
    Because he was hearing impaired from an accident the alarm bells started to ring. It's when he told me that it would be shipped to my door step within 9 days I new he was full of shit.i live in Tasmania so that's just impossible .the bid was for $10000"the fucking asshole"

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

'Caveat Emptor,' buyer beware!

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

"So in most cases the owner only wants to talk with ClassicCarDeals and we deal with the buyer, but there is a rare occasion where we can do a 3 Way phone Call with the owner. "

Hey Herb, pick up line 2, and sound elderly.

pat59 likes this.
  9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Funny, but that, in and of itself, is not really a problem. It's like asking a Realtor to speak directly with an owner, or asking Wayne Carini if you can speak with the car's owner.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

True, if you are able to see the car and have it inspected, as in real estate.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  11. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Thanks for the input guys.
    "Turns out this was a guy in the Netherlands selling photo's of a car in Georgia" The sort of guy that someone should go "ISIS" on :)

12. i bought a car through CARS-ON-LINE, it was basically an on line want add, called the seller direct and paid him direct. i bought another car on line (don't remember the site) called and talked someone from the site and after a few questions he put me in touch with the seller. only dealt with the seller after that. some people list their car on several sites with the same pics.

13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I bought my Edsel last November through Gateway Classic Cars in southern Illinois just outside St. Louis. They had it on consignment from a retired Army vet in his 80s (who served two tours in Vietnam in the '60s) from Linn, MO. When I called them on it I was told that I couldn't negotiate on the price at all unless I gave them a $1000 non-refundable deposit. (I had read through the BBB feedback system that another guy had done that and had not bought the car and after many emails and phone calls he finally got his $1000 back so I figured I would do the same if I didn't buy the car.) I obviously bought it and later that week called the owner (named Al) to get more info on the car. Al said he was very unhappy with Gateway because they told him they would keep $2500 and give him the rest of the money they received. I paid $15,500 for the car and they only gave him $10k so they obviously kept $5500 instead of $2500. As a fellow Army vet that really pissed me off. The salesman told me that he called Al twice during our negotiating process when in reality he never called him at all. When I found that out I emailed the salesman and told him what I thought of their dishonest practices and also asked to speak to the Middle Eastern owner of the company but of course he wasn't available. I won't be recommending Gateway (who have about a dozen locations all over the eastern half of the US) to anyone in the future. Is it even legal for them to charge $1000 to someone who lives too far away to come in when they want to negotiate on a car?

14. slack

slack

Even us "dumb hillbillies" know better than to buy a pig in a poke. Especially if there ain't no pig or no poke. And tryin to sell me somebody else's pig? Fuhget about it. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    FinnishFireball likes this.