Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods DOES YOUR HOT ROD SQUEAK & SQUAWK?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

OK, my 2 cents worth. My 48 Chevy P/U has 66.000 miles since I built it in '03. It rattles, also moans and even groans. Over the last few years, on occasions, I've ridden in some DAMN FINE Hot Rode, Street Rods, Custom Rods, Muscle Cars. What ever category you wish to put them in. EACH and every one had a NOISE or two. From a clutch THUMP to a differential SOUND to a door SQUEAK and a convertible top FLAP. My wife's TAHOE has an annoying rear quarter window NOISE. It really does happen. When it comes to OUR old Hot Rods----It comes to the point of identify the noise and fix it. OH WAIT----Too many noises---TOO little time. Back in '03 when I put the truck together I shortened the front bumper to body gap by 2+ inches. The original bumper valance did not take well to shortening. So I made a new piece, sandwiching it between the grill and the "chin panel", making brackets to hold it off the bumper braces and made SURE it didn't touch the bumper. It doesn't rattle, it "resonates", sort of MOANS. Drives me NUTS------has since '03. Recently (last 10,000 miles or so) the drivers window rattles at low speed. Quick solution, don't drive slow. Not always practical. Seems the "cats whiskers" have settled or simply worn down. Gonna address THAT problem this winter. Actually, I think most of the NOISES and stuff are part of the personality of my '48. Pain in the BUTT sometimes but I still love her----HHMMM----- sounds like my wife. LOVE her too.

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Don't know, exhaust too loud.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Ditto. The updated chassis takes a lot of the rock and roll out of the body so it doesn't squeak as much. Part of the ambiance and charm of old Chevies ;)

4. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Shake,Rattle and Roll a quarter mile at a time.

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Before we took the coupe on vacation, I tightened everything that was loose, put weatherstripping in any place I could identify a wind whistle and chased down every squeak and rattle I could find.
    So what did it get in return? Higher pitched wind noise and reoccurring rattles as the screws loosened up as the miles added up. Then, in the mountains on those curvy roads, the steering wheel developed a squawk between it and the column every time you turned it past center. Old cars are suppose to make noise, so you know they are still moving. Gene

6. Well I am probably more of a "White collar conservative, pointing your plastic finger at me. I'm the one that's got to die when its time for me to die, why don't you let me live my life the we way that I want to."

But it is all about freedom, hot rodding or biking our roots go deep and we are fruit from the same tree.

It is shameful to admit but that old bike looked like this more often than it looked like the bike in the B-Ville pic. But it did squeak and rattle a lot in the 7 or so years that it was my home. Kind of rough and edgy.

BloodRun80.jpg

clunker likes this.
  7. Sing on brother. I love Jimmi. I love that bike. And you are 100% right, man!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto, just add a big solid, 3" magnaflows and a holley blue, you wont hear any of those annoying squeaks and rattles, especially if you are like me, and half deaf from driving shit like that for 4 decades.:rolleyes::D
    Hell, you will be lucky if you can even hear the sirens behind you...:eek::p

Merlin likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Classic...:p