Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on 327 motor and 4 speed Muncie for c20 truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

What an incredible waste of money. A truck that you are going to look at mostly, screw around in, literally, and the kayaks? Just get a rack for that Chevy car you have. You think you need it and want it, I doubt both.

2. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I see those points but the girl really wants me to get it. I can use it to move furniture and other stuff which I occasionally need to do. I don't drive the Chevy all that much and want a truck that I can beat up a little and not care. I like the look of the early 60s c10s and c20s

3. Tell her to buy it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    lewk, cretin, belair and 2 others like this.
  4. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

You have the blinders on. The C20 or C10 you're looking at is not worth what they are asking and will not do what you want. Keep looking, and find a new girl friend, this one will be nothing but heat ache!

5. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Haha you may be correct on both accounts.

6. Hell i got the cure for ya! i have a 64 big window short bed, 4 link 12 bolt full on built by curry, Z'd rear frame 68 front suspension, roll cage, big block 454 built 700R4, and it wont have any problems getting up the hills down there!

7. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

That sounds great but I'm sure you're not selling it and if you are it's well outside my spending range :)

8. No kidding !
    However, since the last one wanted a house, a old truck isn't too bad

squirrel likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I was driving a old truck when I met mine. Still got her, decades later. And the truck!

10. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Awesome and I have some uses for a truck! Surfboard racks suck!

11. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Exactly! Live and learn is what I'm trying to do!

12. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Anyone think I should make a move on this? I'm considering offering $3500 and give the motor a little tlc and leave paint as is. I'm hoping no rust holes on the roof. Does anyone have advice on what to look for? I'm going to see it later today. I figure I could buy it for $3500 and enjoy it as is for a while and unload it later for not much loss. Beats going the $5500 to $6000 route.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wife says She's got to go!
    Don't miss this opportunity!
    Great truck!
    IT DOES NOT NEED ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN WORK!
    IT'S READY TO DRIVE EVERY DAY NOW!
    IT NEEDS PAINT, THEN TAKE IT TO THE SHOW!
    350 V8
    Large drum brakes
    350 turbo transmission
    Engine & most parts have only 5k mikes on them
    All windows replaced with laminated glass (except from windshield)
    Clean title and current registration.
    Lots more details to tell you.
    Some of the other things I've done to it.

New radiator
    New Carburetor
    New Brakes
    New master brake cylinder
    Oversized brakes
    New bearings in front wheels
    New water pump
    New alternator
    New turbo 350 transmission
    New radiator fan
    Headers
    New 3" exhaust system

Rear end is original (sorry, I don't know the size)
    New 350 "crate" engine

Like I said, it's in good shape, ready for someone to take over. Needs points and plugs which I may go ahead and do myself soon.

13. squirrel

squirrel

"needs points and plugs" means there's something serious wrong with the engine :)

Could be a good starting point, beware that the combination of the TH350 and the original rearend will indeed keep you from wanting to drive it much on the highway. Which you've said is Ok with you.

14. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Are "crate" motors alright?

15. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks! Yup I know. I can take many back roads to do errands, the beach and mission bays fiesta island where you can drive onto the sandy beach. I don't anticipate much highway driving more than a couple miles at any time. My 53 has the 350/350 and I have been ok.

The green truck with the 350 and th350 was loud on the highway but doable and it had a stock rearend (to best of knowledge with the current owner)

The needs plugs and points might be interesting. The guy said the engine and trans have maybe 7k since rebuild.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The 60-66 trucks are notorious for rust, not just the roof, but also the front of the hood.
    Very common to find rust in the rockers, and especially where the front fender meets the rocker. Another area to pay attention to is where the cowl drains are, these get plugged with debris and causes floor rust which many times goes unnoticed due to the factory rubber floor mat hiding it. I have a 66 Suburban that had many of these issues but was fortunate to get new fenders and a rocker when they were still available from GM.
    The truck pictured is a 62 or 63 and by my memory have one year only front suspension parts and IIRC the spindle is a difficult one to find. The good news is these trucks accept later suspension swaps as well as disc brakes.
    BTW, you might consider a Suburban, safer to lock up things like surfboards and gear.
    They also make good camping rigs and whatever "activities" that includes. ;)

17. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks for the advice! On the phone the guy said it has some rust by the fender (I forget where) but not much else that he knew of and he doesn't think there are any on the roof.

I'm expecting rust but as long as the cab doesn't leak when it rains I'd be fine. My current expectation is to have it maybe a few years and unload it for nearly the same I paid or even a little less. I'd only do some tlc to the motor if it needs plugs etc.

I want a truck and not a suburban but those are cool too.

If I was going to put much money into a truck id see the value in finding the best body possible and not caring as much about the driveline etc. this one for $3500 (if he accepted my offer) would be to just play in and discard later if I wanted a better truck. I don't think I'll find something with no rust for under $5k and then it will probably need a bunch of driveline mods etc.

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

If I were you, I would ask the seller if you can give it a compression test. Check all the fluids for anything out of the "norm" Check the spark plugs. Check underneath for leakage and rust. There's plenty of replacement parts for those trucks and a Earl Scheib paint job will clean up its appearance.

19. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

It's a 1962 truck

20. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Take the truck for a test drive, take the girl and let her test out the bed. Return the truck, put your money back in your pocket, and say you'll have to think about it...on to the next fantasy.:)
    Of course if she REALLY likes the truck thing, you can always go back and buy it. Good Luck

21. squirrel

squirrel

60-62 used the torsion bar front suspension, 63-66 were coil spring. If the front end is worn out, it could be expensive to fix. But test drive it first, see how it looks/feels.

The engine could be fine, I just wanted to remind you that sellers are always optimistic, if it has a serious problem, some guys will say it just needs a tune up.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  22. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks those seem like good points. If the suspension is ok I figure maybe I'll lose $1k in buying the truck and selling it later but having some good memories to come from it with the girl. I've spent 4-5 times that on 2 week surf tips alone in the past!

The guy seemed alright on the phone and said he would look to see if it had rust etc as he doesn't want me to get stuck with any issues. He's an older guy (assuming it's him in this photo of the truck)
    image.jpeg

23. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Haha. She went on a test drive with me in the green truck and she loved it. She wants to use it for going to fiesta island and driving on the beach there and taking her dog along as well. I also intend to use it for occasionally moving stuff.

24. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Just get the truck man. Like you say your looking for something with the least rust. Drive train will come as you go with it. At least your not driving long trips as you said at begining. Just to beat it up and put your stuff on it.

25. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yup. I will blow more on a single surf trip and I haven't been on one for a while so I think it's a sound plan. When I want a nicer truck for a project I can unload it at some loss and not care.

26. amadeus

amadeus

Is there a reason why you want a C20 ? Or you just happen to find C20's when looking at this body style? There are a few people that I know that have C10's for sale (Long Beds) These are easier to modify and in my opinion more desirable for customizing (not knocking the C20's in any way!)
    Even if you find one with no engine or trans or a bad motor the 350/350TH combos are dirt cheap. As a matter of fact, there is an AD on CL on your neck of the woods for a crate 350/350TH for $600 bucks (You can hear it run)..

27. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Those are good points. I just happened to find those c20s but was looking for a c10 or c20 mainly under $6k

28. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

The guy with the 62' doesn't want to take less than $4000

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Make sure he has your number, you will find out if this is true fairly soon. Keep looking and let him know you are looking at a couple of others, he may rethink his bottom dollar.

30. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Sound advice thanks! I'll let him come down on price if he wants to sell it to me.