Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn Find...sortta

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by melsfine39, Sep 21, 2016.

1. melsfine39

melsfine39

This my 1931 Pontiac 4 dr. sedan that I bought 3 yrs ago. It was a display car for Ed Schimdt Pontiac in Perrysburg ,Ohio. It was restored and placed in the showroom for a number of years, then it was moved to a storage "barn" on the back of the property where is sat for along time before the barn was torn down and the car was moved into the back of the body shop, where it sat again for a long time(total of more than 25 years). I was able to buy it thru my son who works there. The motor was stuck and the door handles and radiator cap where missing. The cylinders where soaked with penetrating fluid , and after 3 weeks the motor turned over and after cleaning the radiator and gas tank I was able to fire it up and drive it!. A lot of people ask what am I going to do with it? well its just to nice a car to mess with so I'm going to leave as it is and just enjoy it. Thanks for looking Mel Pontiac-1.jpg Pontiac-2.jpg Pontiac-9.JPG Pontiac-16.JPG Pontiac-30.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0942.JPG Pontiac-10.JPG

Rich B., 41 coupe, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Now, that's a NICE older restoration! Amazing it 'kicked around' outside for all that time!
    Sounds like Dodger has a good source for those handles...hard to find.
    They're starting to call ME the 'Handleman'...time to tighten up that diet...:D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

boy that cleaned up nice. Great find.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very not bad! Tires look a little "skimpy", since it has been sitting for so long you might think about putting a little more gams under those skirts. But very, very cool car!

5. Boy that is a good find and score.Drive it and have fun.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on your "find" - yep, some stuff too nice to modify -

7. melsfine39

melsfine39

Thanks for the comments. If you look close I did find some door handles at a swap meet ( they are for a Chevy,but most people won't know that!. YES the tires were small ,I had to replace them(dry rot,tubes leaked) the replacements are larger(not in the pictures shown). The car was always stored inside, note the dust in the first set of photos, and YES it did clean up NICE!. A few more pictures. I did find a replacement radiator cap(model A ford worked) and ornament, the Indian head caps go for LARGE money!!! . Pontiac-58.JPG DSCN0579.JPG Pontiac-52.JPG .

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    41 coupe and mgtstumpy like this.
  8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

PAAAARIIIMMMMOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

9. 2935ford

2935ford

That's........a nice car! :)

10. jeta12

jeta12

Nice find!!!

11. MEL,Nice find , now drive that sucker. Bruce.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Very nice. Almost too good to hot rod :eek:

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right move, other than minor improvments that's one you rock as-is. The only thing I would do besides the cleaning and tuning you did is black out that rear wheel house, where the blue shows under the fender. What's it's best cruising speed? I'd guess about 45-50, yes? Is there any back story with it like where it was sold new, who owned it, etc...?

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nice piece, enjoy!

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Leave it"? C'mon, man.