Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Langdon's 235 to Automatic Tranny Adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Sep 21, 2016.

1. I have a '51, 235, dual carbs, 1959 stick 3 speed w/ overdrive, Walton tranny crossmember and a 9" rear.
    I'm seriously considering a Turbo 350, would like to know if any folks out there have used Langdon's Adapter ...... and if it worked out well and met your expectations.
    Being that the engine has dual carbs, what would I use for the detent cable ?
    I may have touched on this subject some time in the past, but am not finding the threads.
    Any input on the fit and precision of the adapter would certainly be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Friends blue flame with triple carbs hooked to a 350. He's moved interstate now so I can't look at the car to tell you what he did and how he went about it. Can't recall who who he purchased that adapter from
    . Rons 35 Master.jpg Rons 35 engine.jpg

3. Thanks, nice car, for certain.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You don't absolutely need what you refer to as the "detent" cable. It's really nothing more than a "kickdown/passing gear" cable on a TH350. In fact, the Summit and Jegs branded TH35's are sold with the kickdowns deleted, and the hole in the trans for the cable is plugged. You do your "passing gear" manually. If you want the cable, it's possible, and judging by your avatar, you have the ability to do it well. I can't comment on the adapters, other than those companies making them are VERY PROUD ($$$) of them. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. melsfine39

melsfine39

Hi I have a 1954 235 that I'm using with a 200r4 trans and a adapter plate from Langdon's for a 48 GMC pickup that I'm building.
    Also using dual carbs on a Fenton manifold. I'm still in the building stage and haven't hooked up the TV cable yet,but there are websites that have ways of doing this. Here are some photos,hope they help. The grey motor is for mock up the red motor will be going in the truck Mel 180a.JPG 182a.JPG 183a.JPG 187a.JPG 141a.JPG

6. Thanks for you info on the 350 cable. I was under the impression the cable also controlled the upshift points, based on the throttle position.
    Yes, the avatar is showing the exact engine to which the adapter will be bolted.
    I asked about the adapter because I heard of concerns, regarding the "fitment and alignment" of the adapter. For $360.00, I would hope it would be "spot on", when all the bolting up is being done.

7. Mel, thanks for the pics.
    Regarding your '54 engine.
    I read on Langdons website a caution, regarding '54 and earlier engines or just pre '54 engines (not certain now), regarding the size of the bore on the end of the flywheel end of the crank being large enough for the torque converter nose. You may want to check that, if you have not done so.

Here are the words from Langdon ....

"Hole in back of crankshaft must be 1.7" to pilot the hub of the torque converter exactly on center. (Note: Pre '54 1/2 engines are potentially problematic with this issue. If the engine was mated with an automatic (Powerglide etc) - please let us know!)"

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  8. Anyone have any experience with the Langdon adapter kit ?