Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA roadster show to Back to the 50s driving mission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok correct me if I am wrong but I believe the LA roadster show and Back to the 50s are on consecutive weekends in 2017 . June 16th to 18th. And June 23 to 25 .
    We would like to attend both events and as we from NZ wondering what sort of mission it would be to drive from LA on the Sunday Morning to Saint Paul MN. In the few days available in between. Obviously we will be in a rental. I will slip in a birthday just before then being 60 so can my old body handle it, I know my young wife can. Or should we fly ? Then pick up a car for a week or two of road trips there.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Both shows are HUGE and there is a lot to do. You might be better off flying, or you will just be totally worn out before you get to the second show. Gary

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. A Boner

A Boner

Drive....take the northern route.....Bonneville/Wendover.....Mount Rushmore....."Badlands".....then to St. Paul. Driving will be fun.....lots of open road. Fun, if you don't have to drive back to LA.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Better off flying just for saving time. Driving with over night stays will probably take four days or so.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. A Boner

A Boner

Probably about 2,000 miles....4 days. If you like driving, just rent a comfortable car. Speed limit should be 70mph most of the distance. Between walking the LARS show and BACK to the FIFTIES.....the travel days will be the easiest .

FalconMan likes this.
  6. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Do it all the time in 2 days....and I'm 60 as well :) wonderful drive!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. toml24

toml24

Best suggestion is to fly as driving would take a good 5-days. Distance is 1,930 miles and 27 hours of driving. Driving almost 6-hours a day will be a supreme task. Those are the numbers. Good Luck!

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what my good buddy from Texas said though we did spend 2 weeks on the road with them last year and it was a real blast. Though we are swaying toward flying at present though open to suggestions still.
    One way car rental is a killer in costs.

U.S. visit in 2017? Excellent!!! Father's Day is June 18th. You'll want
    to be in LA no later than the Wednesday before for all the parties and open
    houses. Lots to see and do. Back to the 50's is the following weekend and
    you'll want to be there no later than Thursday morning the 22nd. Three days
    to cover 2000 miles by car or 3 hours by air. Tough call. It could be done
    by car and if so I'd suggest LA to Vegas and then head north from Vegas to
    Wendover Utah to see the salt flats. From there on east to Lincoln Nebraska
    to see the Museum of Speed at Speedway Motors and then north toward
    Minnesota stopping at Clear Lake Iowa to visit the Surf Ballroom where Buddy
    Holly and Richey Valens played their last gig in 1959. The show ends Sunday
    with an AMAZING swap meet Sunday morning. About 1100 miles from there to our new place in TX

9. A Boner

A Boner

Driving almost 6-hours in LA might be a supreme task.....
    -8 sleep
    16 eating and driving, 3 days easy

OFT and 1959Nomad like this.
  10. As said, the one way car rental could be the deal breaker... Maybe into Chicago a day or two after back to the fifties?

My wife and I did Route 66 from Chicago to LA one way, and the rental car price was very reasonable, but we were going from a big market to another big market...

Someone mentioned 1900 miles from LA to MN; easy to do in 3 days through that part of the U.S., hours and hours of nothing to see...

11. ratman

ratman

Several members of the Hamilton Hot Rod Club are going to both events, PM me

cheers
    Peter

12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Either way it sounds like a fun trip. Looking forward to see if you go for the road trip version (think Clark Griswold in Vacation and his trip to Wally World) :cool:

13. Just did that trip. Except in a pick-up fifth wheel RV, so slower than your rental.
    LA to Bonneville, through Rapid City - black hills, to Minneapolis.
    You won't have time to stop a lot and check out the small towns along the way, but you'll have plenty of time to just "get there".
    So IMHO, if you're just going to "get there", I'd fly, be well rested, party a bit and enjoy back to the 50's.
    Whatever you decide, you'll be living life! Cheers

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I will be driving my rpu from LARS to Back to the fifties, topless,and i am 71. Not that big of a deal for me. I live in MN. will leave at 4pm on Sunday after the mug give away, should be in MN by noonish on Thursday. Cant dalie around but is very do able. Might be cheaper to fly and rent a car in MN tho.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're gonna run topless you'd best put sunblock on everything from the waist up! You'll get a lot of looks from the gals, tho. :)

vic

seb fontana likes this.
  16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We whimped out from the road trip. Going to fly now from LA to MN. At least we get to see more of MN as we arrive Monday. Any suggestions as to what to check out. Hot rod shops, vintage diners , quilt shops ( yes I know but happy wife happy life)
    We are staying in Roseville for the show other than that no plans. Have not been in that area before.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

If shopping is something your wife would like, the Mall of America could be a spot to try (not my cup of tea, but visitors seem to like it.) Looks like the MN Twins are in town so perhaps a baseball game at Target Field
    [​IMG]
    www.minnetonkadrivein.com

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was wondering what you were up to when I saw this post. No pix from LA? Gary

19. BJR

BJR

He said he was 71!

20. 54stude

54stude

You should enjoy btt50's! As for your other questions, the show really starts on Thursday at the registration pick up, that is a car show in itself.
    http://www.mickeysdiningcar.com
    As far as old diners, mickeys diner in Saint Paul, and the Dari-ette drive in, also in saint
    Paul should be on your list. Wagners in Brooklyn park, and the Minnetonka drive in also? Maybe also the uptowner in Saint Paul on grand ave.
    http://m.startribune.com/burger-fri...te-of-summer-at-dari-ette-drive-in/329540271/

Quilting, not sure, but have her start here.
    https://www.quiltinghub.com/Find/Quilt-Shops/In/Minnesota
    My Co worker said "grubers" is a good quilt store.

I live in Roseville, pm me And I can answer more questions if you want. I can even scan the event and shop sections of the msra line chaser mag if you want to do some rod shop plans inter woven with quilt shop visits.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  21. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

If you are going to arrive in Minnesota on Monday I would suggest joining the Street Rodder Road Tour. They are doing a complete week in Minnesota leading up to Back to the 50's again this year. From reading the articles and talking to some people that attended they had a great time.

http://www.hotrod.com/events/street-rodder-road-tour/

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2016/06/msra-tour-details.pdf

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/street-rodder-road-tour-two-northern-car-shows-annual-favorites/

I know Jerry Dixey had an article in the LineChaser a few months ago talking about it.

22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks 2MNYTYS. and 54stude for your super helpful info and leads on what to check out, much appreciated. Didn't realise the St rodder road tour was on. We have tagged along behind on one of these before in our rental.
    I think my wife did a FB message or email to a lady on BTT50s committee a couple of weeks ago as she wanted to talk to us but as yet no reply.

23. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

It was nice to meet you and windy at he 50''s today
    Hope the next leg of the trip goes well.:cool:
    Bruce

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker