Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Av8 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lodaddyo, Sep 17, 2016.

1. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

So im pretty far along on my av8 build now i figured id start a build thread. I been working on this for the past 9 months or so.
    Ive been building a traditional style hot rod in my head for years, im not getting any younger so i figured theres no time like the present. I called up a buddy of mine and scored a stock model a frame for free. My buddy was storing his 1935 ford truck at my house , in exchange for the space he gave me the stock rolling frame, axles and wheels
    Heres what i started with

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Got the axles pulled out from the truck and the a frame on jack stands. Frame is in decent shape, minimal pitting. Crossmember and horns are straight and the frame is prettt square

image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

The engine ill be using. Yanked out of a 1951 f-1. Been sitting in the corner of my shop for about 10 years waiting for its moment. The time has come

image.jpeg

4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Cut the spring hangers off the wishbone and cleaned it up
    image.jpeg Cleaned up the 35 axle
    image.jpeg Whittled up some motor mounts
    image.jpeg

5. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

In the mean time i Dropped off the wires to get powder coated, ordered some new rubber from coker. 6.00-16 in the front and 7.50-16 in the rear. Also some new caps
    image.jpeg

6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Got the brackets cut off the banjo and picked up some model a bells from a buddy and cut the hangers off and fit them to run a model a spring.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Sitting on the new rubber
    image.jpeg

8. I like where this is heading.

Stogy and lodaddyo like this.
  9. Never2low

Never2low

I'm in!

10. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Man, I wish I had that kind of space in my garage! I'll be watching!

Stogy, Doctorterry and lodaddyo like this.
  11. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

image.jpeg image.jpeg Thanks guys. This is where the magic happens haha. Just got a new lift a few months ago. I dont know how i did anything without it! Im going to bed. Just got home, i work shift work. When i get up from my nap ill post some more progress

12. All that space AND a lift! This guy's in tall cotton. ;)

Kreepea_1, Stogy, magnus13 and 3 others like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I'm hooked on this one. Serious case of garage envy too.. That is one nice shop.

3340, Stogy, Doctorterry and 2 others like this.
  14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

So before i started garhering parts to build i knew it had to be a roadster. After searching what seemed like forever to find a decent body , i gave up the search. After reading a few of Flop's threads on his work i knew he was the man for the job. I got in touch with Tom, the deal was struck and parts were ordered. image.jpeg

15. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Flop knocked it out the park like i knew he would! And he got it done in record time. image.jpeg

So i loaded up the truck and made the 16hr drive from South Louisiana to Pittsburgh to pick up the roadster. After i checked the body out shared a stogie with flop and got my belly full of pittsburgh's finest burger joint, we loaded up the body. Strapped her down and made the trip back south
    image.jpeg
    This is what most of my trip looked like before i got back below nashville. This southern boy and snow dont do well together. Ill take thw heat and humidity any day!
    image.jpeg

Back home on sitting on its frame! image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

16. Never2low

Never2low

Yeah!

Oh, and Flop was involved?

Fuck Yeah!

If you say Washington blue, I'm gonna loose it......:cool:

17. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Lol, washington blue was a color i considered. Seems to be a popular color as of late. I found another color i really like , 1927 ford gunmetal blue. What you think?
    image.jpeg

18. Never2low

Never2low

IMO, just about any of the medium to dark blues, look good with Firestones and black 35's, and a dark brown interior.:)
    So yeah, I'm diggin it.
    There was a Brookville roadster on Fleabay a while back, in "Duchess blue" with a lighter tan interior, that looked quite nice.

19. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Tore into the flathead. It was locked up from sitting but i soaked it for a few weeks with a mixture of acetone and atf. Turns out the main bearings were frozen to the crank. Once i got all the main caps off it broke free. No visible cracks anywhere and it was a std bore block. I dropped the block off at the machine shop for cleaning and magnafluxing just to make sure. Turns out she was good to go with a clean bill of health. When i got it back i Turned my attention to making her breathe a little easier. Opened up the intake and exhaust runners and polished it up. What a messy dirty job. I also notched and drilled the lifter bores for easier valve adjustment. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

20. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I had put a local want ad on craigslist for some old ford parts. I got a hit on it and made a deal with the guy for some nice parts. Ended up with a 4" merc crank for my engine and a nice 39 3spd that had just been gone through image.jpeg double detent with the 3" fork image.jpeg
    Pile o transmissions image.jpeg

21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Wow. Off to a flying start. Great decision to get Flop involved, he does great work from what I have seen. Nice collection of parts. I will be watching this progress for sure.

lodaddyo likes this.
  22. sharpmark

sharpmark

great pictures and progress , thanks. looking forward to more.

burtrido and lodaddyo like this.
  23. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Got the call last week that my Engine was ready to be picked up. Nice shiny parts! image.jpeg
    Assembled all the valves with lincoln zephyr valve springs. Cam is an isky 400jr, johnson lifters
    image.jpeg
    Got the bottom end and the valve train all buttoned up tonight. Its been a while since i built a motor. Took me a while, but i managed to get it together.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  24. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Managed to get a little work done this weekend. Got the block prepped and painted. Installed the head studs and got the heads torqued down. Wont be much longer till i can hear this sucker run
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

25. louisb

louisb

Looking good man. Keep it up!

--louis

lodaddyo likes this.
  26. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Thanks man!

1947knuck likes this.
  27. 117harv

117harv

The Mona Lisa has nothing on this, makes my knees weak. You can't go wrong with a traditional A roadster, straight rails and perfect ride height.

I like that blue, always liked the blue grays, great color. image.jpeg

28. Never2low

Never2low

Go man go!
    Wish my coupe was moving along this quickly:(

29. brady1929

brady1929

Damn that's nice