Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Model Car Boxes... And A Break Of Sorts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 19, 2016.

1. 35cab

35cab

Great collection, I love these boxes not just because of the subject matter but also because of the fact that someone sat down and painted these, great paintings, it would be amazing if the original art work existed somewhere.
    I think they lost so much when they started to use photographs, the magic and the possibilities of what was in the box disappeared, what you saw was what you got, the painted renditions fuelled the imagination.
    Hope all goes well with the surgery Ryan, get well soon.

2. Very cool box collection.
    I started building models in the seventies, so I missed all the cool early stuff, but I have a buddy who has a few in his collection.

I hope the chassis straightening goes well, but with a Hamber on the job, you'll be back up and running in no time
    See if he can throw a new blower belt on, and tune ya carbs too.

3. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Been there and done that(twice) Good luck, Beware of the pain killers they suck.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Thanks for sharing that collection of model boxes with all of us, Doug.
    Ryan ... Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery. Hang tough, man.

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Ryan, I was looking forward to meeting you last weekend at the Hill Climb. I even put my #40 HAMB shift knob on the '40 so I could show you! I hope you have a speedy recovery and I'm sure you'll be twice as ready to head up here for the 2017 HRHC. Best of luck!
    -P40-

6. two words; physical therapy.

7. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, echoing everyone's thoughts that your surgery and recuperation will go well.
    @Mazooma1 : Thanks for passing along those photos of your collection. Great memories there.
    Hope you're doing okay, have appreciated your photo threads and talent with a camera. Please check in here when you can!

8. The back again? What is this number 3 or 4?

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks fellas. I'm in good hands for sure.

And tman- too damn many!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. Good luck buddy, get better soon!

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plastic Fantastic...and a little Hubba Hubba Hubley...Hoping for a good outcome for you on your retrofitting...

12. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Great post. Thanks for sharing Doug's great art collection. Hang in there Ryan. Prayers for a speedy recovery. BO

13. good luck with the procedure.....had a couple of screws put in back in 1998....still holdn'.....dang those big blocks !

14. autobilly

autobilly

Jay @Jive-Bomber will dig this wonderful collection.
    I'm sure the Doc will get @Ryan gear jamming over bumpy Texas backroads in the T/C coupe real soon.

15. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a fantastic collection of model boxes, I think I like looking at those more than what's inside them. I think it reminds me of looking at them at the hobby shops & not being able to buy them. BTW Aurora%20Spyder%20(Mobile).jpg Good luck with your surgery Ryan.

16. 20160817_055613.jpg

17. I've picked up a few I remember from my youth.

Dago 88 likes this.
  18. 20160817_055527.jpg

19. I collect boxes too, mostly AMT Trophy Series. I'm facing spinal surgery too, will start with a new MRI in about a week and see how it goes from there. Good luck to you!

20. I hope that your as good as new, very soon Ryan. And thanks for the Hot Rod Art! Keep these coming. Great memories, of what got most of us started in this Hot Rodding thing. Ron... 028.jpg

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello Ryan,
    Surgery of any kind is not conducive to thoughts other than to get well fast. So, get well fast... This place is a lot of fun and it takes much thought to create something like this site. Great job and happy thoughts... I have always loved making model cars, from scratch and from the kits. Here is one that I bought in the early years at a toy store in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach. But I have never opened it because... well just because...It was the only one I could find.
    Jnaki
    It still has the original wrapper on the whole box.
    upload_2016-9-20_4-46-38.png upload_2016-9-20_4-47-49.png upload_2016-9-20_4-48-56.png upload_2016-9-20_4-51-18.png

22. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking of you Boss.Hope all's well

23. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery, Ryan. I'm missing HRHC coverage that only you can provide.

Doug, thanks for your contribution, I built a lot of those. I have wondered where some of the bad rod and custom design features that we see today originate; as I looked at your collection, it hit me...from on-staff model car company artists that knew nothing about rodding!

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Doug, hope you are OK! Outstanding collection, don't think Doug ever threw anything away!

Good Luck Boss!

25. Figured you would get a comment or two on Mike's phantom box!!

Moriarity likes this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Out of surgery. Hopped up. Can't sleep. Dreaming of a 37, 40, or 41 pickup. I need one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best of luck with your recovery. I also had back surgery in January. Was able to enjoy the summer with very little pain after many years of suffering. Had a good surgeon with over 4500 surgery's . Id recommend ditching the meds if possible ASAP.

28. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Heal quick, thanks for sharing those pics. I remember in the mid to late 70's some of the kits that I use to dream about building.

29. Glad the surgery is done and hoping it was successful Ryan.
    A 40-41 huh? Will be interesting to see what you wind up with......

30. I remember building two of those models shown in the first post, the "Big T" and the "Visible V-8." That was about 1960 or 61. I built several model airplanes in the mid-50's, then changed to cars in the late 50's. Daryl Starbird has the full-size version of the Big T in his museum near Afton, OK. (And lots of other cool stuff as well.)