Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Frame, Box Or Not

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Archie Jalopy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the board and starting a new project. I have a 1930 model A roadster, I'm planning on putting a flathead motor and possibly with a blower optimistically 300 hp.

I'm debating on the frame, I know I need to add some cross bracing but is it necessary to box the frame rails as well. I searched the site but only found threads where everybody is boxing their frames, maybe that's my answer.

Anyways, are there guys running 300hp motors without boxed rails and if there are previous threads on the subject please help me out and direct me to them.

Thanks in advance.

2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Anything more than stock necitates frame boxing.
    Also, you will most likely need to straighten the frame first. They sag in the middle, at least all the ones I've had.

F&J and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

By all means, I sat my engine in before boxing and as I let it down, I could see the frame give.

4. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

I was taking the running board braces off yesterday and was surprised at how much the frame flexed. Boxing it is I guess.

5. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

How do you check for sag, run a straightedge along the rail?

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get yourself a 6 foot level, if your doing frame work it is going to come in handy! Place it on the frame along the frame rails in different spots and you will see quick enough if it has sagged. Check it across the frame from side to side in different areas. Also measure it from a point at the right front to a point at the left rear. Repeat for the other side to see if it is out of square. I felt regardless of what horsepower the flathead is going to make it is WAY heavier than the original 4 banger so boxing to me is just a common sense thing to do. Especially if you think your motor could possibly twist it. I am also doing a 31 roadster with a flathead.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Box the frame and add a decent K-member to stop flex and enhance the torsional rigidity. You won't regret it.Easy to mount a transmission cross member to it.
    upload_2016-9-20_11-14-53.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-20_11-15-9.jpeg

F&J and Hotrodmyk like this.
  9. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

10. My '31 roadster frame, unboxed, has been carrying a 331 Cad and early Hydro around for the last 50 years or so. Seems to have held up fine; but when I go through it again the first thing to happen will be straightening and boxing the frame...

11. Another way.
    a-V-8 (Small).jpeg

bundybiker, patmanta and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. Aaron Franck

Aaron Franck

Rich, that pic is what I'm doing, where'd you get that? Sorry for the hijack.

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

14. I don't know the original source, I had a photo copy from a while back, came across it again, scanned it, and cleaned it up a little. I've posted it a few times when the subject has come up.
    Post up a thread on how it went; when you get it going.

15. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

Hey Rich,
    Thanks for the diagram, I like it.

16. Mo rust

Mo rust

I've boxed the frames in all of my cars and always thought it was the way to go but I recently looked over organgrinders coupe at the hamb drags and it runs an unboxed model A frame with a monster of a big block pulling wheelies and I left scratching my head wondering if my gutless small block really needed a boxed frame to hold it together. organgrinder.jpg

mike bowling likes this.
  17. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

Yeah, not really planning on doing any wheelies

18. Take a bare Model A frame and put a concrete block under the front right frame horn and sit the back of the frame on the other block on the left side,then you and a buddy stand on the unblocked sides and it will amaze you just how much the frame twist.

The frames were built to flex and twist because the roads were mostly unpaved and extremely rough & rutted.

I prefer to box the frame. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. I don't think anybody has mentioned it; but if you plan to use a cross steer set-up, you probably will need to box the frame. Cross steer really torques on the frame.

patmanta likes this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Also helps keep doors shut on inclines... Went in the driveway in my old bud's channeled 'A' Coupe, un-boxed Model A frame, 21 stud flathead and '36 box, F-1 center crossmember. Passenger door opened on the slightest twist.
    I had picked up his grandmother walking home from the store...she didn't like me, but accepted the grocery-saving ride.
    Her story: "That hoodlum Mike picked me up in your car, all polite, then turned in the driveway and tried to dump me out!"
    She was an old 'country type'...

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. eddie1

eddie1

If the frame is sagging in the middle how can I correct this?

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There are a lot of good reasons to box a frame, and if it was my car, and I ran and original Ol' Henry frame, that seem a lifetime of use/abuse between you and Dearborn, I would box it.

The reason to box a frame to make it live up too it's best under load AND cornering.
    In a drag car it's a matter of load and stability, but mostly in a straight line, and coming down from that highed, flexibility means soft landing, and less cracking.

There has been almost endless debates on here about the boxing and how. I've even heard talk about good looking frames that when put on 4 stands and someone stepping on to it can make it flex out of shape, and that old rivets that looks tight can even wiggle. One guy even claim, that welding all the joints between crossmember and framerails makes the car handle better.

EDIT, it might have been HRP, I just wasn't sure, but after reading his post it all comes back. Welding up the crossmember idea, was that also you Danny? End of edit.

I would remove all rivets, sand blast, line up with good bolts, install boxing plates and then weld it up very slowly (Boxing plates and crossmember), but only "chain link" weld the frame (slowly and far apart to prevent it go out of shape). Reblast, powder coat and fill inside with linseed oil or undercoating wax. And never ever have second doubts about not doing it. Because the extra weight doesn't matter that much and even if it only makes a small bettering, it gives piece in mind!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Cut, grind, align, weld, grind and get on with the rest

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

300 hp would certainly warrant boxing and bracing IMO. You might do OK with a stock flathead and no boxing but most folks will tell you better safe than sorry.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sorry didn't get past 300hp flathead lol

patmanta and volvobrynk like this.
  26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I read the 300 hp as an example of Fast/full race (by 1954 standard) and then 10% on top for safety/good measure, not a firm value!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Volvo even that would be terribly optimistic

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

29. walter

walter

I am running an unboxed frame with a 32 center cross member and torque tube. no flex!! without the closed driveline defiantly box the frame.
    Walter

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

I know, I did say "Optimistic"

Tim likes this.