Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Perfect Four bar at the Junk Yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Sep 18, 2016.

1. For those of you looking for a ready to go Four Bar rear Suspension. for your project, this may save ya time. On
    2009-2015 Dodge Ram pickup truck

Easy Air Bag install. Relocation of air bag mounts back and lower may be needed.

[​IMG]
    This standard suspension delivers tough capability without sacrificing comfort and handling. The coil springs and heavy-duty shock absorbers combine for a lightweight design that soaks up bumps and provides more resistance during jounce (upward wheel motion) and rebound (downward wheel motion), to keep you in control.

2. What size ring gear is this? looks heavy but would be perfect for a big sedan or pickup.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm guessing it is way too wide, heavy, big for a hot rod unless perhaps it is from a Dakota or something. Would it fit a 50's truck? Gary

4. alchemy

alchemy

I think I'll remove the worn out old banjo rear from my 32 and put one of those in. :rolleyes:

49ratfink, kiwijeff, clem and 4 others like this.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I was under one of those the other day and thinking how adaptable those arms are.
    Cheap as dirt at the pick a part. Decent Panhard bar too.

6. This sounds like it's straight out of a dealers sales pitch.

kiwijeff, clem and X38 like this.
  7. That seems the most useful parts to use. I think the rearend itself is likely too wide for most older car or truck swaps. What bolt pattern are on those new Dodge trucks?

8. Volvo 240s have a small Dana type rear, disks 4 bar with panhard. I used one in my HenryJ

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  9. dan31

dan31

Its good info to have ,may come in very useful,thanks for posting.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see using the 4 link setup on Pickups or larger cars but around here you don't see many trucks that new in the wrecking yards that aren't seriously damaged or totally stripped.

11. Plus, a RAM truck is WAYY too wide.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The usual reason a late model vehicle gets written of is multiple air bag deployment (and the damage that causes) combined with a solid front hit that also takes out a load of expensive parts. The cost from multiple bags and pre-tensioning seat belts having to be replaced gets high quick.
    Usually, the rear suspension remains intact. Usually...so you still need to check things over well of course.

IIRC Jeep Libertys also had a 4 link, but with very short arms, that could also make for good swap material.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Wouldn't mount bags over axle

14. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

The chevy trailblazers and gmc envoys had a four bar with panhard bar as well. Much narrower than the full sized ram, and a six lug wheel pattern.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016