Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Plymouth Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Dodge Pickup, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Mudgy

Mudgy

great work, Jim. Looking great mate

2. Nice build. Looks awesome

3. Thank you Michael do you have a build thread?

4. Well the upholstery is finally done now back to the metal work although there will be a delay the shop that I get my metal from was closing when I arrived so no metal until after the fourth. That's OK I still have plenty to do. Thank you for looking Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  5. Here is the latest update I just got my carburetor rebuilt by a good friend and I installed my signature copper pipe radiator hose. The engine is know ready to run I just have to pick up a battery, then it will be time to make some noise!
    IMG_2630.JPG

I have also have completed the seat frame and the upholstery and the most important adjustment the elbow on the door comfort height. I am know working on the metal frame for the seats stay tuned. Hobo Jim

IMG_2631.JPG

1947knuck and Dog_Patch like this.
  6. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Wow looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Thank you 51 cambridge are you going to Hickory on Sunday? I am thinking of going down for a while. Hobo Jim

8. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Yes weather permitting

9. After a fantastic weekend at the Syracuse Nationals I went back out to the garage to work on the Plymouth I made the seat back bead rolled the top contour and made a 30 degree bend to follow the seat back. I also welded some 90 degree brackets on the side panels so I could attach the back of the seat. I am going to use solid rivets to attach the panels installed the traditional way using a buck bar and a ball peen hammer. Here is a pic of the seat back clamped to the sides.

IMG_2640.JPG
    The bead roll contour lined up great this will be a nice detail when this is finished.

IMG_2641.JPG

1947knuck and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. In keeping with my ultimate goal on this project by doing as much of this build in my garage and in the most traditional way possible I obtained some solid rivets for back in the 30's or 40's then I made a buck bar from a piece of angle iron used a heal dolly that I ended up taping to the angle iron so that it was easier to hold.

IMG_2645.JPG

Here the results of a lot of hammering I think they are coming out Great and very traditional look just what I was looking for!
    IMG_2642.JPG
    Here is the outside I will be installing some more soon.

IMG_2643.JPG

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    1947knuck likes this.
  11. More progress today all the riveting is completed and the trial fit is really good still needs finishing but it is really coming together nicely.

IMG_2646 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

12. The seat is really coming together nice finished the brackets tonight and I was finally able to sit in for a test the seat fells Great! Still have to finish the metal work, but I am very happy and impressed with the way this is coming out. Hobo Jim

IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG

Yes I did make motor sounds Ha Ha sure did feel good to sit in the drivers seat listening to Rock a Billy

IMG_2653.JPG

13. Worked on metal finishing this evening seam is really coming out tight after some hammer and dolly work and a little finishing with the die grinder it looks really good in my opinion.
    This a picture of the seam before the metal work you can see the wide gap.

IMG_2657.JPG

after the hammer and dolly work same seam you can see the gap that hasn't been metal finished on the bottom

IMG_2656.JPG

Same seam after finish with die grinder nice and tight now thats what I am talking about nice quality finish I am very excited to have bomber seats in this car something I wanted to do from the first day of the build. This seat was very challenging to build I learned a lot.
    IMG_2658.JPG

14. Well it has been a long process and very enjoyable, but the fabrication is completed on my bench bomber seat. Here are the finished pics it still needs prep for paint but I am very happy with the results I hope you enjoy them.

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG
    Here is a close up of the cover plate that I made to cover the bolt that the back of the seat pivots on I used copper bushings and brass screws to stay with the period look. I had a lot of time in these covers making the dome high enough to clear the bolt head and the contour tight to the side panel, but the end result is a really cool looking detail.
    IMG_2659.JPG

15. Had the motor running tonight for the first time!! Super excited that's a major milestone on the build. Looking forward to the first ride!! Hobo Jim

16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Wow, you are great with your hands! This is so inspirational! Thanks Jim

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Great work!

19. 51cambridge

51cambridge

We will be at Tioga Downs

20. I think I will be there also looking forward to seeing you and having a Great Time!! Hobo Jim

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  21. So after a year of thinking and searching every flea market I could find I have finally found a headlight bezel that I like. Last winter I bought a box with 30 random bezels for five bucks I went thru them a couple of weeks ago and I found the perfect bezel go figure I only had one and also there was no indication as what car it was off, the search continues. I was at the Watkins Glen vintage races when I saw my mystery head light bezel it was on a 1956 Jaguar. I posted on the HAMB for some help and with minutes Prewarcars4me responded with a lead on a set on ebay Thank you!! a couple of clicks later and they were on there way! I just finished the install here are some pics for anybody looking for a really cool looking ring that fits the headlight bucket like a glove check these out.
    IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG

22. Mudgy

Mudgy

They are a good match Jim.. How are you going to attach them?

23. Hey Mudgy really good to hear from you! The bolt hole on the bottom of the headlight housing lines up perfectly with the bezel just have to bend a 90 out of sheet metal then bolt on. I made another piece of sheet metal that fits inside the top of the bezel and is bent so that it holds the top like a spring. I can post some pics tomorrow I am amazed at how well these fit. I think I am going to make an arrow to pull down the headlight bucket from the bezel Jaguar had one on there headlight I just don't want to pay the price and it's more fun to make my own!
    Thank you 51 Cambridge for the like I hope to see you this weekend at Tioga Downs. Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  24. OK Mudgy here is a couple of pics of the clip made to hold the top of the headlight bezel in place pretty simple made out of 26 gauge sheet metal
    IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

1947knuck likes this.
  25. Mudgy

Mudgy

Thanks Jim, you gave me some ideas mate. I got a message from admin today... my build thread has gooone.
    Oh well, onwards I go regardless. No big deal , really.
    Cheers Mudgy

26. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Not sure if i can make tioga downs:(

27. OK so every year or so the garage finally gets to dirty and cluttered for even me today was that day. I took the Plymouth of jack stands for the first time in over a year I forgot how the stance looked I was impressed and motivated to get some other work done.
    IMG_2672.JPG
    How do you like my wheel choke? It was the closest thing I could find. Ha Ha!

I then decided to install the fenders naturally this turned into unexpected rust repair. Oh well its just another excuse to do some more metal work instead of cleaning the garage.
    IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG
    That metal glue sure does make the installation quick. Nothing to exciting but it sure was nice to see the 37 on the ground!

1947knuck likes this.
  28. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Wow, taking shape

51cambridge likes this.