Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Salvage yards & stuff to do in Washington

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragonknucks, Sep 18, 2016.

1. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Hey everyone,

I have a birthday coming up soon and the wife suggested we go around to different salvage yards and check them out. She knows I'm itching to find a Model A so I'm sure that's why she suggested it. I don't know too many spots up in Washington as I am still very new up here. If anyone knows of any places open on the weekends to rummage through, or any shows coming up this next weekend, please let me know. I have looked up All American Classics, but they are only open during the week.

I live up in the Everett area but am willing to travel almost anywhere. Thanks everyone!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can catch him at home (he drives long haul truck) my neighbor usually lets people look though his version of vintage tin national park south of Toppenish.
    A lot of guys come over to poke though Tee Pee auto wrecking between Sunnnyside and Outlook but they usually tend to close on Saturdays during deer season. Always closed on Sundays. But then there are the wineries if you like wine and some great and authentic Mexican food though out the Yakima Valley. I'd suggest a little hole in the wall place called Taqueria Mexicana at 105 1/2 So Alder in Toppenish (across West First from O'Reilly's where we go a lot.

3. Are the yards in Arizona pricey?

4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple suggestions: First, you might want to PM Hitchhiker. I think he's got a couple Model A project cars for sale. Might be gone, but can't hurt to check. Also, be sure to check out the AARC Swap Meet in Monroe, Oct. 8 & 9. It's just down the road from Everett on Highway 2, and there's typically a fair share of Model A stuff/projects.

Finally, keep your eye on the Hamb classifieds. My brother recently sold a solid '31 coupe there for CHEAP, just to clear the space. Good luck on your hunt! You'll find something.

Here's the '31 my brother sold. Hardly any rust! It killed me to watch it go, but I'm up to my armpits in projects.
    31-1.JPG

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You DEFINATELY want to make Monroe.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

By my memory, this is on the main highway driving north toward Yakima. Went by it over 30 years ago heading to the big Vintiques show in Yakima, holy crap, that place was packed with old tin.

7. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Yeah, prices are pretty pricey in Arizona. Everyone thinks their stuff is made of pure gold because it is mostly rust free due to the dry heat. I moved to Washington last year and just haven't had the time to get to any yards up here.

8. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Thanks for the info! Being from Arizona, I sure am starting to miss some authentic Mexican food. This could really be right up our alley!

9. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

ClarkH, thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely make sure I am off of work for the Monroe Swap. I keep hearing about it, but haven't been able to get time off to attend it. I work for Boeing and it seems like there is always a deadline to uphold. Really unfortunate about your brother's '31. That thing looks really solid and like it could be a whole lot of fun. I've been off the forum except for lurking for a while now, but I will scour the classifieds. Thanks again!

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There's a good place in Burlington, right off the I5.

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

For swap meets there is the spring (May) & fall (October) Monroe swap meets. Puyallup in febuary, then Portland in April, all great meets. Downtown Snohomish is the antiquing capital if your interested in that, many shops. There is a small place near my house called Maltby antiques, open Thursday-Sunday, great [place to check out he gets some car stuff through there and is a great guy to deal with. I moved out here 3 years ago from Michigan, and the swap meets here are huge compared to the ones back there.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fall swap meet at Portland International Raceway I think is October 14 and 15th. It is not a huge event but worth checking out if you are in town at that time.

13. The mentioned swap meets are huge, but you won't find much in the yards on the west side.

14. john walker

john walker

Snohomish car show next sunday.

15. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try Manning's yard in Burly, just north of Purdy WA. Phone 253/370-5565. He keeps most of the older stuff he picks up.