Register now to get rid of these ads!

235s and Camshafts???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newstranger, Jun 4, 2008.

1. 1473550450856.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this cam that I've got a hold of. The previous owner says he used it in a stock 235 but couldn't get the engine to run well at all. ( maybe because the rest of the engine was stock) It's marked 264s at the back?

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

Maybe the 254/264 'Bulldog' cam from Delta ?
    They have a 254-S and 264-S grind pattern, and the combo which I run in my 261 with easier breathing dual intake and exhaust for a street driver.

It would be too much for a stock single carb and exhaust 235, and a sweet racer with dual intake and exhaust.

Check with them and email them the photo ....
    http://www.deltacam.com/

Here are the specs for that cam ...

254-264 cam.jpg

stoveboltswede likes this.
  3. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pontiacs made and sold in Canada from 1955 until 1962 were built on a Chev chassis and came with the 261 standard. They only came with the 848 head unlike the US 261 which came with a 850 head. Search poster 'Curt B', he has probably done more research on the 235/261 head then anyone dead or alive. There are also other 261 thread here.

Warren

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

What I've heard many cam regrinders won't offer a Hydraulic cam because poor quality new lifters.

5. I compared the markings with my 264 grind cam I've bought from Patricks antiques and it's precisely the same markings on both cams. So it must be the 264 grind mech that Patricks antiques sells. Think it's Delta cams that makes theese?

Sent from my D6603 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

Stay away from Delta. Delta was doing cams for Patrick's. We got two cams from them that when we set them up degreed to be stock. Both looked"nice" had the black coating to hide the surface (Rustoleum?) but were stock grinds instead of a hot rod cam. These were for GMC, but bad business practices, I'm sure, extends to the Chevy department too.

Swede, Check that cam!!!!! even if you start by checking the heel and nose numbers to see the lobe lift.

7. Road Runner

Road Runner

In 2007 I sent the stock cam from my 261 to Delta for regrinding.
    Runs great ever since and has the higher lift/longer duration grind as advertised.
    At the time Patrick's sold these cams and called them 'Bulldog'
    Not sure if he still does, but you can check with him and also ask if he ever got complains.
    Patrick is honest and would tell you.

8. R Pope

R Pope

If you find a 261 head, just get the whole engine.......Also, I think the '53-'54 heads are not interchangeable with the newer ones, I forget why. It's been 50 years since i threw all my Stovebolt stuff out and put a 283 in my '54 Bel Aire.

9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I bought a ton of items from Patricks but had to stop as they took my money and did not deliver on nearly $400 of stuff after over $2,000 in merchandise purchased and calls & email just got lies & promises that never resolved the problem. Buyer beware there now as I really got burned at Patricks.
    The photo in my avatar here shows my 235 engine with the Clifford dual intake with the two 2 barrel webber carbs. the Clifford shorty tube headers. Inside is the Clifford 3/4 cam with solid lifters. This is a real nice set up and I have not had any problems with it. I do not race at all but the 46 coupe really zips down the Hwy. I installed a 355 ring & pinion (one of the Patrick's items I did receive) along with increasing rear tire size from 600/16 bias to 700 R 16 radials on rear & 600 R 16 Coker's on the front. Now it handles great and I am getting above 16 MPG at 65 on the Hwy.
    I purchased my Langdon HEI distributor & matching coil & it is great. Everything Langdon sells is great.
    Jimmie

10. Road Runner

Road Runner

That really sucks.
    He used to have a great reputation around 10 years ago when I bought stuff from him.
    Back then his son stepped into the foreground and the old man stayed more in the background.
    Wonder if that has something to do with it.