Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Temp. Gauge

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jerdan, Sep 15, 2016.

1. On a 53 ford flathead v/8 with dual temp. sensors,what would you recommend as an after market temp. gauge, keeping in mind a reasonable price?

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

What are you trying to do, add a gauge, replace it or....?

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

In my '49 tudor I found the stock senders weren't giving me too accurate of readings so I installed a mech SW temp gauge under the dash as extra assurance, worked great.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I don't believe you can hook up two senders to the same gauge. Would be great to have an aftermarket gauge that reads each bank on one face.

shawnsauto1 likes this.

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

When Ford used two senders, one had one terminal and the other had two. The sender that was hotter fed the gauge to get the hotter readng. A better way is to use 2 single pole senders wired to a switch that can be switched from one sender to the other thus reading left head or right head. The passenger side normally runs hotter than the drivers side, so that is where you normally install a mechanical gauge unless you want two mechanical gauges. As far as accuracy, I check all my gauges and then check coolant temps at gauge pickup with laser.

6. burninfatties

burninfatties
    from Ocala, FL

Why does the passenger side typically run hotter than driver side?

7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Has something to do with the design, I knew once but forgot. All of my flatheads run 5 to 10 degrees hotter on the right.