Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mooneyham/Sharp #554

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 12, 2008.

1. this is the way I remember it. smoking the tires clear thru the finish line

2. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

all time favorite car

3. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

Here is the link I tried unsuccessfully to post on the previous page. I am getting better. This is a bitchin video. That's the Champion Speed Shop twin engine dragster he is racing. Watch it all the way through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8MhmS8A20

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  5. Well, needless to say that car was the inspiration for my coupe. The 554, the coolest hot rod ever built!

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

7. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

8. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Agreed! This coupe is one of the Baddest around! So many cool renditions of it too!

9. pila38

pila38

One of my favorite hot rods of all-time. Loved the video.

10. The last day the car ran in California. Gene had sold the coupe to Emmit White.

[​IMG]

11. Look how far Larry is out on the much lighter tube framed "modern" altered roadster of the Cedarquist Brothers. He should have been nicknamed "Lightning Larry". Many of Larry's title defense races were won on hole shots like this.

[​IMG]

12. [​IMG]
    I never knew the car was a sedan or looked like this cool version. A replication of this car in the photo would be very interesting to see along side the 554 in its Cacklefest State IMHO

13. Gene and Dorothy Mooneyham in the pits at Pomona, 1960. Two of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of calling friends.

[​IMG]

14. tedbrine

tedbrine

15. onefaststude

onefaststude

Well I hope I havn't already posted it on this site, but sometime in the mid to late eighties I was at the Nostalgia Nationals at Fremont.
    After having seen Gerry Steiner make a couple of full length "hide boilers", I decided to take my new Minolta 35mm with a big telephoto lens and sneak down the return road to the finish line for his next run.
    As I shot a series of photo's from the start to the finish, I couldn't see him in the car going thru the light's.
    After they got back to the pit's, I aproached the "Mad Austrian" himself and told him that I could swear he wasn't in the car thru the lights.
    Gerry looked at me and smiled, and then said: "I forgot to put the return spring on the clutch pedal and when I neared the lights I couldn't find the pedal so I had to reach down and flip it up to disengage the direct drive".
    And I swear that he never lifted....................... Bob Drury (headin out to the W.F.'s at Bville to burn up some Nitro)....................

16. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

AA/FC Freaks

In the late 80's I had the opportunity to restore the AA/FC of Mooneyham and Sharp 554 coupe. Just working on that car, I would catch my self day dreaming about all it had seen and been threw.When it was finished I was approached to go on tour with it and drive it in the Nostalgia Drag Racing Tour that was going around the country. I jumped at it, and for 2 years I had a blast. When we were done it went to the Don Garlits museum.
    I honestly don't know how many passes I made in it, but we went every where. We went all the way to New Jersey south to Florida, Indianapolis and every where in between.
    We ran it hard, it would blow up, catch on fire, and give me memories I will never forget.
    It was a very hard car to drive, a normal pass would be in the low 11's, 176 mph smoking the tires all the way threw the lights. I never wreck it, but came very close many times.
    There was no tach, I drove just like those guys did back then. No front brakes, just a hand brake for the rear, to control the rpm of the engine and a clutch pedal to slip the clutch to keep it from bogging the motor, no transmission, direct drive.
    I let it hook up a few times at the 1000 ft. mark at it ran 205mph, what a ride.
    If you ever got a chance to see it run I don't think you would ever forget the sound it made, it had a sound of it's own. It was the way the headers were made.
    For insurance reason, I suppose, we were never allowed to race against each other, It was strictly exhibition.
    Well, one weekend we were at Sacramento Raceway and the Champion Sport twin engine dragster was there after being restored. These two cars were usually in the final race for Top Eliminator. So they let us race, I wanted to beat him so bad, but I got crossed up and he went around me, but I never completely lifted I stayed with it, straightened it out, and smoked the tires all the way threw the 1/4 mile. I will never forget that race!
    The next race we put the motor on kill, we normally ran 60% nitro and 40% alcohol. We tipped the can and bump the timing, but it didn't work, the old 392 gave up. I swear it felt like the car came off the ground when it blew, parts of the blower went threw the blue Plexiglas grill insert and the bottom end destroyed itself.
    So, I thought I would share this memory with you.
    Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8MhmS8A20
    YouTube - Mooneyham and Sharp

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  17. tedbrine

tedbrine

I built a fuel coupe in the 80's and ran it at Goodguy events etc. It was an un-intentional clone of the Mooneyham car and ran on the east coast. I thought I'd build an old fuel coupe and, just about that time, the original turned up restored by Roy Brizio in the Bay Area. Someone said they found it in my hometown, Pittsburgh, where it was a bracket car? I lived in Philly at that time but now back "home" in Pgh. I journey out to Fremont in the mid 80's at one of the first nostalgia meets and saw the car - what a treat! Best run of the event (actually two) was by Art Chrisman in the Hustler (always runs perfectly) and then Jim Davis - he came off the line clean but started smoking the tires at about 300 ft out and kept em' lit all through the eyes - went 6.70 something at 220 plus - WOW!. Anyway, as luck would have, one of my engines (actually Paul Gold's) had been in the K&G fueler from Philly (and possibly the 554 when K&G bought it). At that time, Jerry Moreland owned the car and called me to see if I had an engine he could buy. I told him I had one that might have been in the K&G version in the 60's and he bought it. Fast forward to 1989 and both cars were booked into Indy for a Goodguys show. They would not let us run side by side but both cars put on smoke shows and the fans loved it. Jerry was a gentleman, invited our crew over to his trailer to see the engine we sold him - gave us all T-shirts too. I sold my car in the late 80's and just last week bought it back after a couple of years searching - Walt Austin had it in Tacoma and only sold it because he learned I built it - nice guy! It's still very much as sold and had not been run (and only started a small number of times) for 25 yrs. It is in remarkable shape so, we'll run it again soon. Here's a photo or two from Indy in 89' of the two cars in the pits. And, as it now appears in my drive (along side of my original 69 hemi Roadrunner that I bought back after 43 yrs (another neat story - see Mopar Muscle July 2012 and Feb 2013) after a long time away!! It ran in B/MP back then and close to NHRA record - sold in 70, bought back from same gentleman (passed away) that owned it all those yrs - 7000 miles, comp hemi, 4 speed - a time "warp".

Attached Files:

18. tedbrine

tedbrine

Attached Files:

19. fantail

fantail
    from Vancouver

The dream is still alive.....a near perfect replication of the Mooneyham and Sharpe 554 coupe. Built with the blessing of Dorothy Mooneyham this coupe is making appearances at local British Columbia (Canada) dragstrips and will be at Pacific Raceway (Kent Washington) on 12-13th July and 25th July.
    Here is a teaser photo taken a couple of weeks ago at the Ashcroft Drag strip in BC.

Attached Files:

kiwigasser and Stogy like this.
  20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Alright, now I have a new desktop picture!
    Eric

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. I love that the clone was built with a beam axle and split bones like Gene first built the original. Never liked the tube axle and hairpins it has now.

22. KKrod

KKrod

x2 on the front end. The dropped axle looks great.

23. Johnboy46

Johnboy46

I met Gene and Larry at their shop on the way to the airport (flying back to England) in 1992 . Two of the nicest guys you could meet. As I was leaving Gene went to a drawer in his desk and gave me a pin badge depicting the 554 , it is still one of my most treasured hot rod memorabilia. I returned in 2000 and stood waiting as they talked to an elderly gent. He left ,and Gene and Larry turned to me and as we talked it turned out the "old guy" was Gregg Sharp!!!! I don't know if Larry is still with us,I hope he is. As I said two real gentlemen. RIP Gene.