Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sand cast cowl steering blister

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fourspd2quad, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is slicker than owl shit on a green hickory limb! Nice job!

2. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One piece of advice for those who would like to get into casting is to put a lot of effort into perfecting your master part. If you get excellent definition in your finished part you will also pick up every nick or blemish that is on the master. I know it sounds like common sense but you will be surprised the blemishes you may have to work out of the finished part. I finish the master as if it were something I were going to mount on my car and run through the whole process of body filler and sandpaper grades and primer, then finish up with a coat of clear and then wax. IMG_2394.JPG

Barsteel likes this.
  3. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had a few requests about them. Its kind of funny that at the rate my project is moving this part will be running on someone else's ride before mine. I am considering making a short run of these if anyone is interested pm me and we can discuss.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a request for this blister from someone with a 30-31 coupe. I had an opportunity to size it up to one this afternoon and will be making a version for those years. I will follow up with a '32 Ford version if there is interest.

6. cfmvw

cfmvw

I had a green sand foundry that I built from Dave Gingery's Shop From Scrap series...I built his lathe and a milling machine of my own design, and had a lot of fun casting and machining my own parts. I later scaled up his foundry furnace so I could cast bigger parts - I could have a gallon of aluminum ready to pour in twenty minutes, but it sure used up a lot of charcoal doing that! Definitely going to build another foundry after I get my house and garage built.

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way Kool . Very nice work .Thank you for posting the pictures and the tech info.

8. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Awesome post! Thanks for that.

9. zapp69

zapp69

Nice part, any thought to replicating this part for RHD as Id be interested

10. We did the same until the teacher caught us making some brass knucks...then we were barred from casting...LOL So where do you purchase the petrobond????

11. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can make a RHD version that isn't a problem. I will send you a pm.

12. Alger

Alger
    from Sacto

Great post, thank you for sharing this.

13. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boys will be boys won't they?
    I got my sand from a local guy that was into the hobby years ago. The stuff isn't cheap but it gives awesome detail. There are suppliers out there that will ship it.
    Obviously the quantity you need is based on the size part you want to cast and how deep you want to get into it.
    For a part like this blister I would say you need maybe 30-35 lbs of the stuff. When you pack out the mold you would be surprised how much sand you use and how freakin' heavy the mold gets.

14. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Nice work! Looks like the windshields going on the right car!

15. oldolds

oldolds

Quick web search turned up this
    http://www.petrobondforsale.com/

16. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Pat, Thanks! I was just checking out your album. I may be able to cast aluminum but the way you can bang it into shape is the shit!

17. got the '31 version of the blister yesterday and must say it is slick. Fits perfectly over the 3 inch sector shaft/pitman arm and really rounds out the installation. Going to whip a bit of polish on it and set it aside until we have the body work done then I will install it when everything else is in it's place.
    100_5605.JPG 100_5606.JPG

Thanks Dave for a quick turn around!

1-SHOT likes this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

beautiful work,there is also an opening for 38 chevy pu headlight stands.got some cast here with thicker wall and smaller openings.had to finish machine them myself..loctited studs inplace of threading bolts into the casting.made mounting them easier.stock made from poor quality alloy (pot metal )cast them in aluminium.light units are heavy and side mounted

Attached Files:

19. p__moore

p__moore

Very neat job!

20. That is a darn nice piece! Lots of detail

21. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the compliments! I hope to have an ad posted soon in the classifieds for anyone who might be interested.

22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I think they are real neat and I would like a 29 version. Frank

23. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Now that's the goods,excellent work I like it.

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Thats only half the test now you break it in half and it should break clean.
    Crude way to show proper amount of binder and moisture you have in the sand mix.
    (Been a molder in sand steel foundries over 40 years now.)

26. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh so true, not sure how I forgot that part.

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pat, there is a young runner in Temple City who is resurrecting an old Lakes racer '29 roadster. Presently, he is figuring out a windshield similar to what ran on the roadster in the '40s which looks to be a Hallock. His name is Kevin Preciado, AKA Cyclone Kevin on the HAMB. His cell is 6263292815. He is aiming for TROG in October and might welcome some input. Hope he is OK with my giving up his cell no. He is very dedicated to his curse, er, cause. LOL

28. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have posted an ad in the parts classifieds for those interested. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and compliments!

29. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I have had a few responses asking if I could supply a cowl steering kit so I may just look into doing that. I remember seeing magazine coverage a few years back on a kit but I thought it looked like ass (and not a good ass either) and marginal at best from a stoutness standpoint. If I were to do one it would be very robust. Also I have had requests to supply the pitman arm as seen in my avatar which I will look into.

30. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER