Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Odd reactions to your daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road Runner, Aug 29, 2016.

1. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Last cop story, I swear.....
    My daily driver bike, I know, OT, is a 58 Triumph Thunderbird hard tail. I was working security at a car show, again, in uniform, and I had been standing in the sun for a few hours, so, I decided to go sit on my bike that I had placed in the show so I could keep my eye on it. I went over to it, and a guy was on his haunches looking at the engine. I Walked up to it and had a seat. He looked up angrily and then asked, "you always sit your ass on things that don't belong to you?" I assured him the bike was mine. He then lightened up and started asking my questions about it. He sure was angry when he thought the bike wasn't mine.

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So back in college there was this super cute, nerdy and excitable girl in one of my classes. She heard I had a pickup and asked me to move some furniture. I showed up in my 65 F100, she went on and on about how cool it was, marveled at the three on the tree, the radio delete plate, etc., so I'm thinking I might have a chance here.

Couple nights later, she comes running up to me at the local watering hole, and drags me to a booth in the back to meet her friends, and announces, "here's that WEIRD guy I was telling you about that drives that old, like 1940 something pickup!"

3. Fedman

Fedman

:oops: Not what you were looking for........

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. I usta drive an O/T 72 chevy shortbox with a new black paint job, lowered and 8 and 10 inch aluminum slotted mags when they were the hot setup.....had a custom interior and it was very nice and very low...250 with headers and dual glass packs. .
    One day I was watching "da game" at home, having a few beers..maybe more than a few and I ran out....jumped in the pickup at 1/2 time and boogied to the convenience store down the street for a new 12 pac..
    I pulled out of the parking lot and chirped the L-60s into 2nd gear [hey, it was in the mid 70s] and immediately had The MAN pulling me over and I was about 1/2 toasted! Oh damn! I pulled it over and had my license and insurance ready for him...trying to be "straight"...he comes up and says "Hope I didn't convenience you.....just wanted to check out your truck". He was a young guy and had an old chevy truck at home. He spent about 10 minutes looking and shooting the shit...never mentioned my box of beer sitting on the front seat...
    Whew!

5. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not quite! Although I did laugh for about an hour straight.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. That's a great story, now that's funny!

A hot girl walked up to me outside a club in the 90's, I just pulled up in my 57 Ranchero, I thought "right on...", all she wanted to say to me was that I reminded her of Robert DiNiro in "Cape Fear".... IMG_1473412673.629938.jpg

7. LOL!!

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Yesterday, someone asked if my old Suburban is a hearse.

20160909_065420.jpg

9. Should have asked them if they wanted to try it on for size.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

A reaction/experience, at a local car show, had a 50's band and I was parked near stage, buddy comes over and said, go check on your car, you won't believe it, So....... walk over and there is a overweight biker broad sitting on the cowl of My roadster, feet up on radiator shell, using windshield for lower back support, WOW, could not believe my eyes, walk up and say, what the hell are you doing, her reply, what's it to you, now, I'm excited, told her to get her fat A$$ off my car, her reply, do you know who my boy friend is ? NOW, I'm real excited, Don't care if he's God, again, Get you fat A$$ off my car, now the biker dude (boy friend) comes up (I'm thinking, not good, did my mouth overload my butt) and looks at her and said to her, what the hell is wrong with you, get your A$$ off of his car and apologize to him for being a stupid bitch, he apologized several times and we had a beer (he bought) had a nice discussion on respect for things, cars, bikes, etc, all in all, good guy, listened to the music, showed me his bike, introduced me to his group and did not see the girl again as she left or something. One small scratch on cowl, could have turned out differently, but all was good, not the first scratch or was it the last, in 8 years of fun.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  11. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

You have a nice set up

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Good story Wicarnut.

wicarnut likes this.
  13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Was that in Iowa City?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it was - were you one of the friends who got to meet the weirdo? :D

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Nope, I guessed that you were a Hawkeye, from your avatar. I graduated from there in 1987.
    GO HAWKS!!!

By the way, I drove my 57 Chevy when I was in college. This photo was taken about a year later.

img018.jpg

So.....Was it Joe's Place?

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You gotta be kidding me - it was Joe's! And yes, GO HAWKS!

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I spent some time at Joe's, too. By the way, when were you there?

To get back on topic......When I was still in the dorms in college, (Burge Hall), one of my roommates knew that I had a car at school. One afternoon he asked for a ride to a frat house. He also knew that I was from the Peoria ILL area, specifically, Canton ILL. So, we walked a few blocks to where I parked my 57. When he saw it, he asked "How did you get that out here?" Answer....."I drove it", although the answer in my head was......"I took it completely apart.....Put all the parts in the back of a truck......Drove the truck 2 1/2 hours to Iowa City, and put it back together". :rolleyes:

Road Runner likes this.
  18. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Ha! Not ALL Prius drivers are environmentalist jerks. Some of us just like the great gas mileage. Some of us Prius drivers like our Studebakers too, Eric! Oddly, my Studebaker was also known for great gas mileage in its day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    mkebaird, belair and wraymen like this.
  19. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I moved there in Fall '88, grad school, just missed you.

That's a good story, it cracks me up to recall how people thought cars from '50s and '60s were so old back then, heck I didn't think my truck was "old" just well used and a bit mature!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and Road Runner like this.
  20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

For some reason everybody thinks that nobody cared about fuel mileage until the 70s, and adjusted for inflation the cost is about the same... .20c a gallon sounds great, but minimum wage was $1.60? Maybe a fellow could buy more gallons then I guess.

50s cars did seem old in the 70s ... when they really weren't..

21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I had a yuppie dude check outta my '31 Ford roadster and finally ask "what year
    my Corvette was?"

"It's a 1931" I replied, to which he said, "geez, they've been making them forever."

Yessir, yes they have...

lothiandon1940 and falcongeorge like this.
  22. mkebaird

mkebaird

About half the time I'm asked "is that a kit car?"
    My response is always, "no, it's a corvette!"
    P1020369.JPG

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

What is a 69 Ford Highboy?

24. Factory lifted medium duty 4x4 pick up trucks? That's what we used to call them any way.

25. You should have immediately started screaming "in tongues"

clunker likes this.
  26. mkebaird

mkebaird

You got it, F250, a little OT, here's mine (FE, A/C, OD, FI). Not really lifted, just a 'flat' frame with straight axles. I'll leave the photo small so you don't have to look at it ;)

"Does it have a lift kit?"
    "No, it's stock!"

Attached Files:

27. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Nice older lady standing at the bus stop when I stop for a red light on Saturday .
    " Model T yeah?"
    "No mam , Model A"
    "Oh ya dragged it out eh?"
    "Nope, got here under its own power"

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  28. I get out of my car at the gym last week, some lady asks me where's the paint? I told her it goes so fast the paint won't stay on.

jnaki, clem, Torkwrench and 4 others like this.
  29. I had a car with a non-stock grille, and this bloke on a bike rides across the front of my car as I was stopping at the lights (I nearly run him over), comes up to my window and says " If you follow me home, I have a grille for one of these in my shed. It's for sale-cheap!"
    I told him I have the original hanging up in my shed, I replaced it with a hand-made one so the "good " one does'nt get dirty. By then the lights had changed, I took off and left him in the middle of the road ,scratching his head.
    Interesting pick-up line though...........

Bruce Fischer and volvobrynk like this.
  30. Coggs_n'_gears

Coggs_n'_gears

My daily is an 89 jeep comanche pick up and I get asked alot "what did you do to this cherokee?"

Sent from my SM-T530NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CowboyTed likes this.