Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Ford Flathead to S10 5 speed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rfstx1010, Aug 19, 2016.

1. rfstx1010

rfstx1010
    from Bear, DE

That's what had me confused when I look at the adapter and was trying to figure out why this was $20 more than the other one which looked exactly the same on line! I also can't figure out why a plate is as much as a new bell housing?Something is wrong with the pricing! The problem is that is sucks when this is the only one made anymore! WTF you can't beat them F'em!

2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i was just doing something dangerous--thinking! the early full-size chevvies with four speeds had a similar problem. the shifter came from under the seat. and, if you've ever noticed the shift lever on a cobra, it's a mustang unit rotated 180* to get the knob forward where it belongs!

3. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I have a 53 ford truck engine and the top loader transmission in my avatar. I'm considering switching to a T5. Will my clutch linkage still work, will my starter still work? I understand the earlier S-10 has the shifter in the forward position. Would you buy an 82 thru 88 T5. Any ideas appreciated.

4. rfstx1010

rfstx1010
    from Bear, DE

The clutch can work with the trans adapter for the Chevy trans bolt pattern, you just need to get the correct clutch disc to match you original pressure plate. The 82 to 88 transmission are the good but not for any real horsepower. The yoke for the trans is a 27 spline and you can match up to your driveshaft uses a 1310 u joint.

5. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Good information thanks rfstx. It looks like everything I have will work, because my engine and transmission is all from the same 1953 PU. My transmission has the has the parking brake mounted on the transmission. I have a 1950 ford rear end and and when I redid the brakes I threw away all the parking brake parts, because I didn't need them. Now I will have to go out and source them again, because I'm in the mountains and you need a good parking brake. I have a 3:89 rear and at 60, I am at almost 3000 rpm. I don't have much HP, only additions are a 500 Edelbrock and a Bubbas centrifugal distr. I don't plan to go fast, it's still a model A.

6. rfstx1010

rfstx1010
    from Bear, DE

Hi, everyone! Well I found the correct T 5 transmission from an S 10, 1352-145. I tried to order the adapter plate to my Ford bell housing but it's on back order until November! Nobody has one in stock, Does anyone have one they would like to sell? Otherwise I'm stuck for 2 months waiting on a the adapter!

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

You say the correct transmission is a 1352-145, does that transmission have the gear ratios you are looking for? You have a 3.73 open rear and I have a 3.89 open rear. Not really critical, but I would like to pull 2000 or less RPM at 60 MPH.
    One more dumb question, will you be using the S-10 clutch plate to match the transmission shaft splines, I think your transmission is 1" with 14 splines.
    Thanks

9. 504640

Is there only 1 correct transmission for your application? My projected scenario is similar: a 40 ford that will have a 51 merc engine. the transmission i have is a 1352-216. I was given this Identity
    GM 1993 MY 2.2L S-Truck WC
    from the website http://www.5speeds.com/t5/
    I am hoping my T-5 is applicable to 40 ford/51 Merc powered project.

This brings up another question. Can anyone refer a reference guide that will have gear ratios and other specs?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Borg Warner switched ALL T5's, irrespective of what brand of vehicle that they were installed in, to the modern Ford bellhousing pattern, in 1993, to save money.

If you have a T5 from 1993 S10 2.2l, it has the Ford pattern, not the GM/Muncie/Saginaw pattern, has the 4.03:1 first-gear gearset, and an electronic speedometer drive.

The S10 T5 with the 145 suffix is just one of the more common, and thus readily available units, that has the GM bellhousing pattern, the 3.76:1 gearset, and a conventional mechanical speedometer drive.

504640 likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Do you really want to shift? I can't shift anymore and went with a C4 trans for my 8BA motor. The kits are around $400 and can be found at almost any speed shop. All you need to do is buy a starter. Very easy set up and least expensive from a T5 set up.

Summit Racing Part Number:SDK-T5PLATEKIT6 $155.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missing the point of having an overdrive.

504640 likes this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

True, but if you can't clutch, you can't clutch.

15. blackanblue

blackanblue

My 48 8ba speedway adaptor s10 clutch plate shorter drive shaft with the t5 easy peasy oh and I built a new x member gear ratios are perfect for a flatty.

16. av8

av8

I have a lengthy T-5 technical document (The Ultimate T-5 Swap Article) that I snagged here nearly 10 years ago. It's 11 pages of text and pictures -- a bit large for posting again as part of a thread. Also, I'm unable to get the pictures to print in any form other than a hard copy.

There may be better info guides by now, but this piece from Flat Ernie was a great problem solver -- and avoider -- when I installed a Mustang WC T-5 in my '48 F-1, including the change to an S-10 tailshaft/shifter. Begin with the HAMB thread (which no longer has the pictures) and maybe someone will chime in with the visuals.

Mike

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have a s-10 5 speed in my 1931 . the adapter is a simple piece of 1" steel . you counter sink the bolts to the bell housing , and nuts & bolts for the t-5 . the t-5 pattern is bigger so its pretty much ez . now the clutch disc can be a bigger problem , splined for t-5 . clutch I use is V8 9" , flywheel cut , drilled for V8 pressure plate

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my little set up. Most of the parts, like I stated above, are from Wilcap, though the starter plate is from Flathead Jack. Both were awesome to work with! The T/O is McLeod, as is the clutch and PP, Hurst shifter adapter to accept bolt on stick. T-5 is out of a 6 cyl, 2 wheel drive blazer. NWC. I polished the adapter (don't ask me why). I used the fork holes to run the hydraulic T/O bearing lines but added some heater hose in the holes to take up the slack and protect the hoses. I heard that shiny bolts always makes a car faster so I added a bunch of em for insurance. When installed in the car the shifter sits comfortably in front of the seat for easy reaches to 3rd and 5th.

My flatty will throw a bit over 300 HP through the T-5, occasional hole shots, burn outs on a closed QC rear and lots of double rev down shifts. I've beat on these NWC transmissions plenty of times in the past, as long as you don't toss over 400 HP to them, they work fine.

Fine print: please overlook the copper fuel lines, didn't like them and replaced them with tidy aluminum ones (in avatar) but this is the only pic I could find of the trans assembly.
    upload_2016-9-20_13-57-35.png
    upload_2016-9-20_14-19-27.png