Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is your neighborhood hamb friendly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timmy2times, Sep 10, 2016.

1. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

No car guys around me and I do have close neighbors. I don't run my stuff with open exhaust and when I bring junk home, it gets put away out of sight. I get along fine.

Gary

kbgreen and timmy2times like this.
  2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live out in the country on 5 and 10 acre plots. My "neighbor" directly north has a '67 Cheville and a '60 Cadillac sedan. My neighbors to the west (I'm on the corner) have a '67 Camaro. Next to them is a guy that still has his first car, a '70 Monte Carlo which he is just finishing a body off restoration. Two doors down, a guy has a 70's Corvette.
    And then there is my junk.

Yeah, you could say we have a great neighborhood. Maybe not completely HAMB friendly, but friendly just the same.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    timmy2times likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There are no hot rods in my general area of Houston. There are a few old rides, but they are garage puppies. They hit the local shows and that's about it. The idea of just, driving around, seems foreign to them. There's a group of new model Challenger and Mustang owners, around the corner, who are constantly slipping by to see how my builds going. But the idea of building a car from scratch seems crazy to them. I like it that way.:D "There can be only one!"

Jerrybigbird and Runnin shine like this.
  4. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

It was for the 30 years Ive been there. Before that ,it was an area rich in race boat history. That is until this summer when the new PRICK next door bought the house that has sat for a couple years and he has been trying to change the way all the neighbors work on projects and and have gotten along for so long. Even after fences,tree lines,lights,cameras etc,this jerk still complains to the town about what he thinks is going on ,on the other side of those. I never knew I had an "Engin Shop" and had "Engins" all over my back yard lawn????? Said so on my complaint letter.
    Big money,modern day and most likely Liberal jackass.We all will just go about our business at our HOBBY,and keep fighting the good fight.I wonder what color I,ll paint my old dealership sign post Ive been planning on putting up for four years. I hope he likes black.

5. Rodders

Rodders

I live in a small subdivision about 25 homes there are is 3 guys with hotrods on my block, so there is never any issues. Most of the couples walk past and want to see what your building or working on. Everyone waves so I got it pretty good.

pat59 and timmy2times like this.
  6. With three cars in the driveway and one in the garage, my neighbor's put up with me okay. Grinding and welding late at night has garnered no complaints yet. On my street there is one guy with a '62 T-Bird, but it sits collecting dust in his garage.

timmy2times likes this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Lou, LIKE that Chevelle.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm on 9 acres of a 40 acre plot all owned by family, brother in law has a Fox Mustang and a 55 Ford and I have my 47 Lincoln coupe and a 86 Vette. Now the surrounding community, I'd say within a ten mile radius of my house, is a guy with a 40 Ford, another with a 54 Chevy Bel Air and a 59 Apache pickup, a guy with a 34 Ford streetrod, a couple of guys with 67 Camaro's, the owner of the parts house has a 58 BelAir, a 55 Corvette, a 36 Chevy coupe, a 48 Chevy pickup, and another 67 Camaro, another one with a 34 streetrod, and yet one more that has a 55 Chevy Belair hard top, a 64 Impala convertible and a 55 T Bird. The community is well represented! All of them may not be HAMB material, but are still nice rides.

timmy2times likes this.
  9. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

No neighbors for about 1/2 mile here. I got out of town when I got a letter from the city for my "junk"rods around my garage. Said there was a complaint. I sold the old house as commercial property and now the old hood has a rotting spoiled food smell to it and lots of traffic. Now when I bring something home, it goes into the shed just in case the county has a crackdown. Ya never know.

LOU WELLS and timmy2times like this.
  10. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Within a quarter mile of my house, there's a 55 Studebaker, a 53 MG, a 62 Ford Pickup, a couple odd Austins, a 68 Volvo, and whole bunch of motorcycles from the 60s and seventies. There's also a 53 Ferguson TO-30 tractor and an even older Case manure spreader. (Can farm machinery be HAMB-friendly?)

And then there's FULL disclosure: I own all the land within a quarter mile of my house. I also own all those old cars and bikes and equipment. The house is located just right amid the rolling hills so that I can't see any of the "next door" neighbors from my house, and only one of the neighbors can see a couple of my cars if I park them outside my shop. No sweat with him, though: he loves the earliest Ford Broncos, and has several around his place. I do look forward to finishing the floor in my shop, so I can park the whole fleet inside for once.

I once heard a friend's "redneck rule" that suggests, if you can't piss off your front porch without offending the neighbors, that you need to move your front porch farther out in the country. I guess a part of me subscribes to that rule. The closest neighbor who could watch me piss from my porch is the one off in the distance in this photo, the one whose house ALMOST interferes with my view of Pikes Peak. He doesn't complain, so I don't either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  11. I'm a bit remote with no neighbors that close to me. There's a few car guys on my block, one with a Vette, another with an Olds 442, guy around the block has a Road Runner. One of the big shots at work bought the house across the street from me earlier this year and he's cool.

I get a lot of thumbs up when I go down the block although the Ford is loud. I soft pedal it on my block just to be a good neighbor. I don't work on the car late at night and the yard & driveway is always neat.

12. next block over has an early 50s chevy pickup, slammed hard with a V/8 rumble. There's Roger who lived across the horse pasture but passed away last winter...drove a yellow T-bucket built in the late 60s.
    Then, there's the guy who drives a pale yellow 33-34 ford chopped 5 window across the ravine to my east. He does a drive-by every few months but I never see the car anywhere else. It's non fendered with an unmuffled flathead sound.
    George use to live down at the bottom of the hill but moved a couple years ago....had 64-65 chevelles and el caminos. My old paperboy grew up and bought a 66 Riveria....keeps it in his driveway on the same street as the 50 chevy pickup guy. Guy 2 blocks to my south has a black 68 'vette with a tri-power big block/4 speed.
    Johnny 4 blocks up the street had a 41 ford coupe and a 32 ford 4 door with a later flathead...he died 3 years ago and the cars disappeared. Acorss the street from Johnnys old place is Ron's....had a 55 tudor, 30 chevy coupe, 55 nomad and my old deuce coupe dirt racer. He moved but his som lives there with his own 32 sedan.
    ROCKYS32.jpg

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

upspirate, amazing as it seems the president of our POA is also a vintage Corvette owner. I doubt he puts 20 miles a year on it.

14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

My old neighborhood had several folks with older HAMB friendly vehicles with one across the road that is always building them. The new neighborhood I'm not sure about but will find out shortly as we are closing and moving in next weekend. I have heard something down the road a bit but haven't seen anything.

I can't wait to get in this. ;)
    IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

15. I am right in suburbia, on a corner, so when it's time to do the 6 car shuffle , I have to park them in the street and sometimes get people stopping to take photos. Most people around here couldn't care less about a car that was more than 20 minutes old.
    I kinda like it that way, because no-one is interested in the contents of your shop, if you know what I mean. I'm still the local "nut-job with all the old bombs" , but when someone wants something fixed, welded, etc, guess who they come and see?

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes ! I was a little concerned when moving to Northwoods Wi. (St Germain, Eagle River, Minocqua, heart of tourist country) When I retired and much to my surprise, alot of car activity here amongst us retires and again surprised, some hard core HAMB younger guys here. Perfect Neighborhood for us, SnowBird concept growing stronger every year.

Max Gearhead and timmy2times like this.
  17. Any triumph parts im building a 67 on a amen savior frame. Hahaha

Sent from my LGMS330 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. I live in rural Arkansas so I don't have a whole lot neighbors close by. When we bought this place, about 10 years ago, I still had my Peterbilt, 3 Harleys & my hot rods, I have since sold all but my Model A & '57 Chevy. H.a.m.b. friendly neighborhood? No, not really. Just tolerated!

timmy2times likes this.
  19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live outside the city limits, but on a "rural" street with about 20 houses, most are on about one acre lots, across the street one neighbor owns a really nice 40 Ford coupe (383/five speed/ flames) and a 50 Chevy Gasser, another neighbor has a 54 Chevy that he has had since high school, another had a 57 T bird, another had a 60's era bird (both birds are gone now) and another has a early 70's Nova on a trailer. When I first fired off my 38 Chevy one of my neighbors was across the street to hear it run:) He had a 47 Indian to ride to high school back in the 50's. My wife makes more noise grinding and hammering than I do, we are lucky to be on a big lot. My one next door neighbor parks his boat in my back yard and asks occasional car/boat related questions, nice young guy with three boys and he spends most of his time at a ball game so he isn't around much!

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think me and one other are the only two with old cars,there were two others but they moved out years ago.

21. I just know of one other in my neighborhood, he has '49 and '55 Chevs, sometimes we will hit a car show together. He's on here, but I don't know his handle. Other than that there's the occasional muscle car going by.

We live in a working class/inner city neighborhood, so we always get big positive reactions "NICE KAAAHHHHH" (Boston accent).
    I fit right in, people are still driving minivans from the 80's held together with duct tape, I admire the ingenuity.

When I drive to a more affluent area nobody even looks twice. I can't even tell what brands their cars are anymore, they all look like black Priuses on steroids.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 6-71

6-71

Not all HAMB friendly,but within a mile radius of my place there are 3 T-buckets,a 32 roadster,37 chevy,39 chevy,40 chevy all driven Hot Rods.

LOU WELLS and timmy2times like this.
  23. donno21

donno21

Nuthin' HAMB friendly in the neighborhood. Lot's of street rod's and muscle cars in the surrounding area. Get togethers Friday nights and Sunday mornings. Neighbors allways say we love your "Classic Cars". 57 Starchief drop top, 46 Ford coupe and 48 Merc coupe ( street rods). Live on the end of a culdasac and garage is not visible from the street.

timmy2times likes this.
  24. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I live in an area zoned "agricultural one" which means you cant build on less than ten acres and "farm buildings" (pole barns ,sheds etc) do not require building permits or inspections.The road is a private dirt road(As a matter of fact officer I DO own this road).The few people that live out here leave me alone and I return the favor.I bought this property in 1980 because I wanted to be able to shoot,build motorcycles and cars,etc without leaving home.So far,so good. :)

Speedys Garage and timmy2times like this.
  25. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

We just got a complaint last month about the "junk" cars on our property(which is completely enclosed with a 6' privacy fence). We are the only car people left in our town. I kindly reminded my code enforcement officer that they are not junk cars and gave him a guided tour and asked him which one he would like to take a ride in. He was cool about it and left me his number incase I ever wanted to sell my 69' Camaro or Nova. The older stuff he didn't even look at.

Now, we keep our yard clean, no parts outside, etc. I have kids, nothing is left out that they can get hurt on. I know which neighbor complained, I'll deal with him later. I have a lot of trees, Fall is coming up and leaves are a bitch.

26. Heres the 58 im trying to talk the mechanic at the end of my street out of got a quick pic while i was walking for a pac of squares [​IMG]

steinauge, oldsjoe and wraymen like this.
  27. Some one used to love this truck it has flames but still has the stock suspension. I want it now haha. Didnt see the old dodge truck when i walked he musta been out in it

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

OMG!:cool::)

timmy2times and CowboyTed like this.
  29. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

My neighbors are into derby cars. They are really nice and, they have a couple kids. I'm glad they live next to me, because nobody bitches about my stuff now. :p

30. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

My 12 year-old daughter and I have a junior dragster (see my avatar.) It lives in my garage, but I do have a golf cart that we use to tow it on the driveway. The junior dragster is never left out and is only out on the driveway when I am prepping it on a race day. I may idle it for 90 seconds and then it is quickly loaded on my trailer. It is a 38 HP flathead (highly modified Briggs type engine), runs on alcohol and because it has a straight pipe it is sort of loud.
    My neighbor complained to the HOA, but somehow it is OK for him to have an un-assembled tractor on his driveway. Because the HOA is a secret society I never know who is even on it and he or his wife may be on it again.
    The complaint isn't about me starting it and running it. It seems to be because I simply own it and they have seen it! Idiots! Most of my neighbors have no idea we even have it, but my nosey neighbors next door have complained about anything and everything for 22 years.

clunker and timmy2times like this.