Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oil filter bypass question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikeC62, Sep 11, 2016.

1. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

The bypass spring in my oil filter mount is bad. Can I do away with the bypass hole tig welding it shut or try to find a new spring and rebuild it? image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Slopok

Slopok

I'm sure they put the spring in there for a reason, every time that I've left something out figuring that's not necessary it came back to bite me.:eek:

AVater likes this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Holy crap!! Dude, springs are cheap and easy to find, put a new spring in it. The bypass is there for a reason, if the filter gets plugged and the pressure differential across the inlet and outlet gets too great the bypass opens up to allow oil around the element, so that your bearings don't starve!!! Don't tig weld it closed! Put a new spring in it, (you have to match it up so the pressure is the same) or replace the entire assembly if you can't find a correct spring, but don't weld it closed.

4. derpr

derpr

INVISIBLEKID likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure on the Milodon and its application but most oil filters have the bypass and none of my remotes have anything but the 2 holes. You should look up the AC PF-7 filter and see what it is or was. Good luck.

6. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

Probably the safest thing to do is get a new filter mount unless I can a find a filter with a bypass. I would replace the spring but it would just a guess on what pressure the new spring would open. I was just hoping someone had a miracle cure.

7. Moondog13

Moondog13

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Find one out of a Chevy one.
    Bet that a machine shop my have one that they removed and plugged.

9. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I've always plugged them for oval track builds yet, I do run them on my drivers. I presume somehow before the days of oil filters, ex. like a babbit 235 six I'd rebuilt, stuff lasted for a while back then, with all the dirt road dust & metallic particulates scratching the bearing shells & cylinder bores. That being said, I believe above something like 5 psi, in many oil filter systems the bypass opens & lets the "dirty stuff" bypass the filter & sends some of it through the whole shabang. Flux.