Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical when you're not a natural artist/custom painter, but want it bad enough.....you find a way.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Merge, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Merge

Merge

So my 54' is getting pretty close to finally seeing some road time, but the body will need many many more hours before it gets a finished paint job. I thought I'd add some flames to the current paint to take some attention off the rough body work for now.
    Well after wasting almost $30 on 3M fine line tape because I just couldn't lay out anything I liked, I found an idea online for painting murals. Basically I made an overhead slide projector out of an old cardboard box, clear piece of vinyl, tape, and my cell phone light. The "projector" has a hole in the box at one end to tape the transparency across. The cell phone light is on the other end of the box and broadcasts the design onto the wall or car in this instance. In a dark room or garage, trace your design onto the surface you want to paint. You can change the design's size that is broadcasted onto the car by moving the "projector" closer or farther away.
    Like I said in the title, I'm not an artist so I thought this was a very handy trick! Hope it can help others! 20160909_182033.jpg

Attached Files:

JOYFLEA, wraymen, 54reno and 2 others like this.
  2. JoeyF

JoeyF

Very clever idea, great results too.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

those actually don't look half bad. Neat trick

jeffd1988 likes this.
  4. Merge

Merge

Thank you!

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Neat idea...............
    Time to (cough) start painting (cough, cough)
    (Where'd everybody go??) (cough)

Attached Files:

6. Rough body work? I wish mine was as "rough" as that. Nice idea, I would proudly drive that car.

7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Desperat times meet desperate measures. This looks pretty damn good tho

8. 1pickup

1pickup

A home made Projectoscope. Nice.

9. Ingenuity, well done

10. aaggie

aaggie

I have seen sign painters use an overhead projector to project their image on the side of a building then trace it with pencil lines. It works well and as he said you can adjust the scale to fit.

11. Sporty45

Sporty45

Wow! I like that idea. :cool:

12. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn Mike, you're just wearing a dust mask while painting??? Yikes! :eek:

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

That's my neighbor- I offered him whatever he wanted for equipment, and that's what he bought! ( I can still hear him coughing, but he hasn't had to comb his hair for 4 years now!)
    (And I DO like bacon)

Sporty45 likes this.
  14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hopefully he survives that time, next time spend 20 bucks and get him a respirator, Ive seen guys not wear anything but to be honest thats just stupid if you know better.

Sporty45 likes this.
  15. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

BAD BOB is gonna want some kind of royalties...ha!

Merge likes this.
  16. Merge

Merge

I've liked Bad Bob's flame job since the first time I saw it and always wondered what it'd look like on a Chevy. IMHO, flame jobs have to be just right to work on a car and that isn't the easiest to pull off, but Bob's are perfect to me.

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You need one of these....

[​IMG]

18. Merge

Merge

I may buy an actual projector. I can see a lot of projects in the future using this technique.

19. Merge

Merge

Got everything laid out, now my six year old son says he needs flames painted on his walls in his bedroom.........guess I can't argue with that!

Attached Files:

cactus1 and jeffd1988 like this.
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Practice on his wall,if ya mess up you can always go back and paint over or outline fix it

Merge likes this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They turn up at yard sales and thrift stores once in a blue moon. You can build your own with a light bulb, mirror and lense. The generic name is 'opaque projector' if you want to search out more information. Here is a link to an article on building your own.

http://www.retrothing.com/2007/08/diy-homebuilt-o.html

Merge likes this.
  22. Slopok

Slopok

Everybody knows you can't put Mercury Flames on a Chevy but I'll be darned if you didn't pull that off perfectly.:cool: Looks really good to me but I believe that you will now gather MORE attention than without the Flames, I'll bet that you will spend a lot more than $30.00 on tape.

Merge likes this.
  23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You mention 'transparency' you mean like a slide? If you can produce suitable transparencies you could use an old slide projector which is going to give a better result than anything else. The question is how do you make transparencies or slides at home?

24. Merge

Merge

I just used a piece of clear vinyl. You could use anything that light would pass through. Even a zip lock bag in a pinch, but next time I'm going to make a projector that uses an image on a smart phone and broadcasts it on the car through a magnifying glass lens.....check YouTube for details.

25. Merge

Merge

Thank you, honestly I haven't seen too many Chevs that I really liked the flames on. They just never seem just right to me, but I think it has something to do with the side molding breaking up the flame. It's a delicate balance to make the flames work with the body and those moldings. With that said, I'm really thinking about just having these flames done in a white pinstripe and no fill color in the flames. I think the pinstripe compliments the quarter panel white stripe but doesn't take away from it either. Too much color in the flames and it may be just too over the top and start looking "clown" car.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How do you print a picture onto the clear plastic?

27. Merge

Merge

Check out my photo in the first post of this thread. I took the clear vinyl and laid it onto the screen of my laptop and traced the flames on to the vinyl.