Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Quickchange Parts for Old Style Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Jan 5, 2016.

1. blackout78666

blackout78666

Investors = partnership=price goes up= and they usually end up owning the poor guy that concepted the thing/need in the first place. Or leaves him holding the bag like the fellow you mentioned above. Shit he got 40 verbal commitments almost 2 months ago and is only halfway there with deposits ?! I think it's a solid effort to take the time and effort to reproduce a part that you just can't find. And at a very decent price to boot. I think he's going about it the right way. Short run. Doesn't have to bet the farm on it. And then see where it goes from there.

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I hope all the others step up, my full payment has been with Bruce for a while and I am not worried! So please step up if you want some! Gary

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Hey guys,
    Officially passed the half way point. We are gearing up. If you want to get in on the introductory prices you need to step up now!

4. lucky13

lucky13

I'm interested, what's the pricing on a pair?

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump. C'mon guys, order some plates. I got my down payment made, and am ready to put a rear end together.

6. blackout78666

blackout78666

Bumping this back up for the beer thirty crowd......

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

Hey Bruce. What's up?

8. Bump this thread and order some plates boys! I have my money and order in . . . we just need some more guys to pull the trigger.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cmon guys, lots of those QC center sections out there, order some side plates and build one.

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Okay, here we go. I have decided to go ahead with the casting and machining of the side plates. Those with deposits are locked in. Anyone wanting to get in on the initial order will have to act now! Once the castings are poured we cannot add to the order.

I will have a couple of extra sets, but these will be priced accordingly.

Special thanx to all those who trusted me and sent deposits. I was not, nor am I now, in a position to finance the entire project. But, with the help of the HAMB this will be a reality.

Thanx again,

Bruce

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOOHOO!!! Glad to hear you're moving forward with the side plates. I've earned a little interest on the money I set aside for them, so if you decide to charge a few bucks more per plate I'm OK with it.

Thanks again for taking this on!

12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Thanks Bruce, Great News! Gary:D

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

14. blackout78666

blackout78666

This is great news!!! Nothin gets done if nothing gets done. Bruce you have been a solid individual during this whole process, regular updates and checking in with your depositees ( even a word??) appreciate your efforts. Can I request that you stamp or identify my plates with your info, run number, or whatever. Can't wait to see em. Good on ya for seeing it through!!

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Our intention is to put a raised "Quickchange Exchange" on the inside of each plate. Hadn't thought about any type of serializing. Probably would be nice to have a month/year date, too. '916' or '92016'. Wouldn't want to run into another Y2K fiasco at the turn of the century. But, who would care?

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Nice work guys, glad to see this vision becoming a reality!

17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Maybe now you should produce the center sections! I received a call from someone saying they were going to repo the CAE units but I never did receive the information for my blog.

18. Rand Man

Rand Man

And or the trumpet endbells. Maybe good originals aren't hard to find, but I need a set.

19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I contacted him before I started on this project. He told me to look for something this fall. It takes a lot longer to get these things going than anyone might think.

The center section would be a bit of a trick. If anyone wants to pursue that, send $$$$$$$.

A little teaser for y'all:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Winters makes new trumpets but they don't bolt up to the Ford center section. So, they won't work with the Halibrand, CAE or my plates.

There might be a product there, but old Ford trumpets would have to be really scarce to have a market. They could be made fairly easily as they don't require the bearing pocket with the adapter plates.

21. ScorpionR

ScorpionR
    from UK

Thanks Bruce. That is good news. What kind of timescale are you anticipating?

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Right now it looks like we will be shipping about the 1st week in November. The master should be machined in about 2 weeks.

23. All good stuff . . . can't wait to see the final result! Question: what CAD system was used for the designs? I do a lot of work with SolidWorks, so just wondering. Are you having the toolpath/CNC work done by the same folks that designed the plates, or is this being done someplace else? If you get hung up on it, let me know - as I know a lot of folks that have CNC capabilities - direct from SolidWorks part files (though the tooling, toolpath and machine information has to be added and the gcode generated).

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't know much about the program used for design. The guy that did the design is the CAM guy too. Tool path is done, waiting for machine time to make the master. Hopefully this week.

25. RDR

RDR

Just read
    Bruce,
    Just found this thread and have a 12 bolt Champ and a nice set of 11 bolt plates....was headed for the Redmond, OR swap meet in the AM with the Sprint car Champ on board to sell.....BUT.. if 12 bolt side plates become available....I believe I'd better get on the list and let these 11 bolt find a new home and hang onto the Champ..
    Tell me what I need to do to reserve a set ...
    Thanks,
    Randy

26. 31rat

31rat

I'm very interested in a set. Are they still available?

27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, still accepting orders at the introductory price until the castings are poured. After that, we'll have to wait for a second run.

28. 31rat

31rat

I need a pair for a Halibrand 301 if they're still available. What do you need from me to order them? I'm also gonna need a differential .

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Here is the ordering information,

(Updated 7/30/2016)

Please forgive the form letter:

I’m sending this to you because you expressed interest in adaptor side plates for a Quickchange rear end. These are used to enable the use of a large (3/4 ton) Quickchange center section and early Ford V8 axle trumpets.

The plates will bolt up to virtually any common, Champ size, Quickchange. There are actually 2 basic types made from the same casting. These are designated by the number of bolts required to secure the plates to the center. The 12 bolt fits Halibrand, CAE, ARC and some Benson’s. The 11 bolt works with the 11 bolt cases from these manufacturers as well as Winters, Frankland, Lynn, Jones, Coleman, Speedway Eng. etc.

Both types are drilled for 3/8” fasteners, but we can drill them to 7/16” at no charge, if this is what you need. 7/16” is pretty standard for current 11 bolt Quickchanges.

Each plate will be drilled to your requirements and will include the 362A bearing cup and seal. (installed) The 10 holes for the axle trumpets are tapped 3/8”-16 as is the smaller six hole pattern. It is our intention to keep all these holes blind so as to prevent possible leaks,

Fasteners are not supplied for the plates or axle trumpets. A list of available options will be sent to those purchasing plates.

Pricing:

List - $235 ea.

HAMB Alliance member price - $211.50 ea.

Shipping in Continental U.S. - $25.00 (ea. or pr.)

All orders must be prepaid including shipping.

Example: 2 plates - $423 + $25 = $448

Please be aware that if you intend to use a differential in any of these combinations, it will have to be narrowed to fit correctly. Normally, this is only required on the left (ring gear) side. Also, note that there are two common center section widths. The Halibrand style is 4 3/8” wide and the Winters etc, are 3 ¾”. This affects the amount needed to be removed to center the differential. In either case a spacer may be needed to avoid an excess number of shims on the right side of the carrier.

I can provide narrowed differentials new, or used. when I have good cores. I normally charge $350 for a good used TruTrac type, plus $100 for the machine work. I also will cut your carrier for the same price. Iron lockers etc. are more. Or, I will give you dimensions to have the work done locally.

To order plates, I will need:

Your real name

A ‘Ship to’ address

Personal email address

Number of plates needed, number of bolts and diameter and YOUR PAYMENT!

I will accept your personal check, USPS money order, or cashier’s check, made out to:

Bruce Schneider

11958 Davisburg Rd.

Davisburg, MI 48350

Sorry, no PayPal or Credit cards at this time.

Expected delivery is 8 -10 weeks ARO.

An order has been placed with the CAD/CAM company. Additional plates can be added to the order until the castings are made. I will keep everyone posted on current status. No refunds from this point on.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope to supply you with all your Quickchange needs,

Bruce

30. Rand Man

Rand Man