Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom headliners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjjmm56, Sep 4, 2016.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Looking for pics and info on building a custom headliner using abs. It's going in a 36 ford pu with a 5" chop.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

No ones ever made a headliner. I was thinking of covering the inside with plastic and using spray foam for around the curved sections. The plastic should make it removable.

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A friend of mine did something like that, but I don't have any pics of it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

It seems like it would be fairly easy to make 2 or 3 sections out of fiberglass, then glass them together

5. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

6. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

7. 20160903_151858.jpg 20160903_151858.jpg 20160903_151853.jpg 51' with 7" chop. ...

kustomitch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. morac41

morac41

Hi ....Would like to see inside a Carson top

9. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Thanks chopped51 for the pics I might be able to pull something like that off. I'm running a overhead console and instead of trying to curve it to the doors I'll try to make it flat

10. Reds 29

Reds 29

I used a sheet of ABS to make a headliner in our chopped 39 Dodge truck. I cut it oversize, started by putting on the outside of the top, and then heating and bending it slowly to start to get the curve. Then moved it inside to heat and bend to fit the curve inside. Slowly heating and bending all around, the back corners were the most difficult. Don't have a great picture, but this might help. I then covered it with a foam backed headliner material.

Attached Files:

11. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

12. unkamort

unkamort

Cheap...homemade...mine PIC00003.jpg PIC00004.jpg

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  13. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Thanks D Russ that turned out super. I think that were my problem comes in is the big curve in the back like on unkamorts. If I go with a flatter panel then I lose headroom. Unkamort how did you do yours ?

14. unkamort

unkamort

I got a large sheet of clear thin plexi glass. It extends from underneath the header panel above the windshield to the bottom of the rear window,and was 48" wide. After that was tacked into place with some screws I marked where the rear window cut out needed to be made from the outside. After that I glued the fabric side of the (fusion bonded) material to the plexi. At 54" it was wide enough to make the trip to the tops of the door frames. Your right about the area of the upper rear cab corners. If your looking for fault thats where it can be found... I wasn't overly happy with that. A couple of well planed sewn seams there might have cured my ills but I'm not set up for that, so I folded and glued the material.I also replaced the tack strip at the center interior crown of the roof just in case, but it hasn't sagged at all. Its' been in there for 2-3 years. There are cardboard replacements for the 38/39 trucks... at $300+ it just wasn't in the budget. Hope this helps.

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

An old coupe of mine...**clic the pic** 100_0243.JPG 100_0242.JPG

16. unkamort

unkamort

Forgot to mention... I modified a pizza cutter with some vacuum hose to make certain the bonded seams stuck firmly to the plexi. PIC00011.jpg

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  17. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Well thank goodness elections are over for now. There's plenty of plastic election signs all over the place. I talked to a guy from the county he told me I could take down as many as I wanted , so he doesn't have to.

18. kustomitch

kustomitch
    from Monson MA

I use wood in the center and shape pieces of chipboard around the curves and then cover with foam. Can't seem to find any pictures right now but it works really well.

19. unkamort

unkamort

At risk of offending the Traditional Police ('nuthin'but love guys)... I used material exactly like that for my door panels. Lite as a feather and water proof. I sealed all the edges with silver tape and hogged out the original metal panel screw holes to accept plastic retainers. PIC00006.jpg

20. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Here's a pic of my dash, trans tunnel and first layout of door panel[​IMG]

RICH B likes this.
  21. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Tried my make a one piece shell but it didn't work out. This is what I came up with so far. Also finished my center console. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]