Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest STATION WAGONS ~ JUST HAMBER OWNED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 10, 2016.

1. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

IMG_1723.JPG I built this in 1993 and still going strong. Still own it. The same 406 chevy and 700 overdrive. Engine and trans unchanged.

2. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

My '55 Ford Ranchwagon, I've owned for about 4 years now. Originally from Albuquerque, NM. IMG_0280.jpg

Deuces, i.rant, Smiffy and 15 others like this.
  3. Great looking car,what's under the hood? HRP

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Mine parked at the Southeast Gasser race in Brainerd Georgia this past Saturday.
    DSCN8037.jpg DSCN8058.jpg
    parked in the pit area

Deuces, 31hotrodguy, MO_JUNK and 4 others like this.
  5. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Old picture of my wagon by the previous owner.

station wagon 4.jpg

6. Chevguy37

Chevguy37

7. HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Enloe, sometimes I wish I left my Olds wagon like yours.Bruce.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. WOW!! That is one nice chevy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

11. BCR

BCR

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Contrary to popular belief that 46-48 Ford Woody Wagons were the surfer’s cars of choice, that was something that the media back then used to portray what they thought was the thing. In most of the areas that we traveled to surf outside of the Seal Beach/Long Beach,CA area, the cars were pretty much the same. (Family cars, sedans, vans, and station wagons.)

Surfers, by themselves were not wealthy and did not have fancy cars. Most of the cars were family 4 door sedans with the surfboards tied down on top by various means. Ropes around the board and looped through the side windows, the ropes pushed through the door openings and then when the door was shut, made a secure holding tension. Sure there were some people that had woodies, but to us, they were in the super small group. Today’s media would have us believe that everyone had a woody with surfboards stuck out of the back and they were all from beachside communities.

A lot of the station wagons we see in the HAMB threads portray what the surfer look was to each person. They all look very cool and have that “feeling.” That was what happened back then, too. A wagon was useful because of the sleeping space in the back and for storage. But, there were many times that back seatbacks in the sedans were taken out and the long surfboards were inserted from the trunk area. That was a common occurrence back then and it served its purpose to go surfing.

When surf racks came out, 2 door wagons could not mount the rear rack due to lack of a gutter holding spot. Remember, these were 10ft + longboards and needed ties in the tail end of the board. So, wagons like the Nomads were out, besides, they were too expensive, too. Today, short boards could be held in the 2 door gutter mounted racks easily.

But, it did not matter what vehicle you took to the beach to surf, it was the destination, not the method… besides, who ever took a 2 door black Chevy 348/280 racer/cruiser Impala with a board sticking out at least 6 feet, to the beach to go surfing? Ha! That Cinderella turned into a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery for those "Surfing Surfaris." upload_2016-9-6_4-50-50.png

Jnaki

nailz, Ron Funkhouser, Gotgas and 2 others like this.
  13. Mike

Mike

Whether or not a station wagon had full gutters depended more on make, model and year than being two or four door. My two door '57 Ford Ranch Wagon and two door '57 Chevy Sedan Delivery (same as two door wagon) both have full length gutters. My '59 two door Chevy Brookwood Wagon has partial length gutters, as do all GM wagons, both two and four door, for '59 and '60. My four door '61 Chevy Parkwood and my four door '65 Ford Country Sedan both have full length gutters. You'll find that most station wagons will have full length gutters, exceptions that I know of are the '59 and '60 GMs, and the hardtop (no posts) wagons that Oldsmobile, Buick, Mercury etc. built, and also the '55 to '57 Nomads and Safaris.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  14. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Made the side trim from stainless when I couldn't find any good pieces. Have a few extra sets. 63 ins. 2.jpg

15. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Here is my daily. 150K miles in the last 12 years. 27 States too.

Caprice89 likes this.
  16. gonmad

gonmad

So is there a second edition? That looks just like the first (with the exception of two words of course!).

17. moval57wagon

moval57wagon
    from So Cal

My surf wagon in the early 70's was a 63 Studebaker Lark wagon with the sliding rear roof.

18. sawzall

sawzall

I sorta have a thing for woodie wagons ;-)
    my 1948 olds wagon
    [​IMG]
    and my 40 ford wagon
    [​IMG]

never in my wildest dreams would i have thought Id own either of these.. lucky, and thankful.

19. My old friend Rene' has a 40 woodie that he started on about 12 years ago but suffered a stroke in February 2015 and he is talking about selling it.
    I've thought about buying it but I am no woodworker and it needs a lot. HRP

Atwater Mike and dana barlow like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"......never in my wildest dreams would i have thought Id own either of these.. lucky, and thankful."
    I had a chance to own a '49 Olds Wagon and I owned two '40 ford woodies and a '40 sedan delivery. I have none of them now. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I was that stupid. :(

21. DSmoke

DSmoke

Here is mine, 56 Country Sedan 8 passenger with 292 or 312 Y block, leaks a little oil and has rust in the typical spots. I bought it a month ago and my family loves cruising around in it. Working on getting a plan together for the build, a few minor changes but mostly just get it solid, running strong, and looking good on the exterior, then drive it as much as we can. I like the interior showing its age, but if I run out of things to do maybe I will re-do that too. The picture is from our first picnic with the wagon.

Attached Files:

22. Yamaha970

Yamaha970

1964 rambler... supposed to sell it today.kind of hope they dont call back....lol. IMG_20160511_161120563.jpg

Deuces and Speedys Garage like this.
  23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

UPDATE:
    There are times when a car is sold and owners lose track of them...I'm happy to say the fourth owner of the '60 Chevy wagon (below) my brother and I built two years ago is happy with it. IMG_2965.JPG The car was sold to a guy in St. Paul that wasn't happy with it from the time we unloaded it. He sold it to a body shop in the area and they in turn finished it and sold it to a guy in Wisconsin. He phoned me recently wanting to know about the big block engine we put in it. We chatted about the car and what all I did to it and how I built it. He told me he loves the car and can't imagine anyone else not liking it. I asked if it had been painted and he told me the body shop had done a great job on the car. View attachment 3340699
    They did the finish bodywork and two-tone paint, rechromed the bumpers and grille and put on new wheels. He loves the color combo which is what my brother and I had planned for the car... other than that the car is exactly as we sold it...and I'm happy for the guy. Sure nice to see the fruits of our labor getting finished...

R-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
    Deuces, arkiehotrods, enloe and 5 others like this.
  24. seatex

seatex

25. fol

fol

26. fol

fol

DSCN0390.JPG DSCN0579.JPG DSCN0580.JPG DSCN0602.JPG my fugly '54 rancho, imported from California a while back... unusual in Australia (maybe the only down here?) sitting next to a mate's RHD '48 Buick (ex Sth Africa); jeez that 312 sounds nice, even non-car people comment on the music from the exhaust!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  27. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

man that thing is bitchin!!!!!!
    now i have to sell my 57 and find one!

28. When I started this thread I would have never believed so many of you own wagons. HRP