Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs american graffitti clone finished

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DW55, Sep 5, 2016.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

In the beginning of the movie, when Milner gets mad about Curt going to the freshman hop, he walks back to his coupe and Curt follows and asks him: "What's wrong John?"
    2nd time is when the Toad challenges Falfa and then backs down after he hear the engine of the 55. Falfa mentions he's looking for the piss yellow deuce coupe and Toad replies: You mean John Milner, he's got the fastest"
    3rd time is when they are lining up for the final race and Milner sees Laurie in the 55 and asks her what she's doing in there. Laurie replies: "mind your own business, John".
    4th time, when Toad is trying to pick up Debbie and asks her: "Do you know John Milner? He's a good friend of mine."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. Mel's drive-in was in San Francisco on Van Ness.

It was still there in '72 when American graffiti was filmed. It was established in 1947 by Mel Weiss and Harold Dobbs. As far as I know there was never a Mel's in Modesto if there was it was not the original and not the icon that Mel's became before it was raised.

This is the Mel's of which I spoke when I mentioned "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" which was staged in the Bay Area. Ironically Mel's was also the location of a very large (for the time) Civil Rights protest.

Stogy, falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

From my previous post....

The rolling credits stated American Graffiti was filmed in the counties of Marin and Sonoma. Although, Mels drive-in was located in San Francisco County.

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Lebowski I would say you have watched AG too many times........... DW55 I hope you have a lot of fun with your 55, It sure has the American Graffiti look.

clem likes this.
  5. damn fine field car sir!

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I found this somewhere else in the past but I will watch again just because it is the best blueprint of the movie...People bring up all kinds of things that arn't right but things aren't right in most car builds either...Building a movie is way harder than building a car; back round visuals are really important and very hard to do...

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Here's a good read on Mel's. According the the write-up, it was actually still in business after the filming and torn down in 1976. http://kipsamericangraffiti.blogspot.com/2012/08/mels-drive-in-true-story-of-worlds-most_15.html

8. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I got that info off of one of several web sites that have lists of bloopers and mistakes from thousands of different movies.... :rolleyes:

9. Tobywan

Tobywan

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit."

Wait...wrong movie

flux capacitor likes this.
  11. jcmarz and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

IN the nature of bloopers, that film I posted above mentions that George Lucas sometimes re-shot scenes until someone screwed up and did or said something that wasn't in the script. Lucas would often use those screw-ups when they happened, because they gave a sense of realism that he was looking for in the whole movie. They mention several, including whole scenes where they shot the scene way out of order, without giving the actors time to rehearse. One of the last scenes in the movie, after the crash, has interaction between actors that is entirely improvised, where the actors had to make up dialogue with nothing more than a general sense of the scene from having read the script weeks before. It's impressive how genuine the improvised dialogue came out in that scene.

Another example is the scene in the very beginning, where Terry pulls up to the drive-in and crashes his moped into the trash can, then pretends like it was supposed to happen that way, and walks around the car to start a conversation with Steve. None of that was in the script. He was supposed to pull up to park the moped, slip it into third gear and goose the throttle to kill the engine, then act embarrassed over his (scripted) screw-up. Instead, he slipped it into first by mistake, goosed the throttle and crashed the thing instead of killing the engine. Lucas loved the effect, since the blooper felt much like what he had written in the first place, But with an element of reality you just can't write into a script. The blooper got used in the film.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Actually you're both right. the TLB car was painted and re used in AG. Same car in both shows.

14. thunderplex

thunderplex

My god, tlbt was a very, very low budget movie and probably didn't have anybody in charge of continuity.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

field-car-whats-pc7pa4.png

falcongeorge and jeffd1988 like this.
  17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

In the making of the movie video it was pointed out that Lucas shot film all night and edited during the day. Sleep deprivation can make you miss many details. Even though the film making was very flawed the film was a hit and made Lucas a lot of money and put him and several of the actors on a path to very successful careers. Of course all of this is off topic..... Carry on DW55 and enjoy you successful 55 build.

clem likes this.
  18. DW55

DW55

in 62 chevy had came out with the 348bb and the 409 bb. I tried finding one of those but could not find one that was complete. parts are hard to come by for them .

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

He was 30 years old, at that time. As a matter of fact, most of the actors were in their mid to late 20s, except for Ron Howard and Charles Martin Smith, who both were in their late teens:)

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know Benno, I often read your posts and just one sentence will jump out at me and I think how its really funny 1) how much we have in common and 2)how surprised a lot of people would be if they knew what some of those things are...

21. DW55

DW55

I have met Cindy Williams ,Candy Clark, Bo Hopkins and Paul Lemat a couple of times at some of the shows that had some graffiti clones set up with them. All were very friendly and answered some of my questions. The next time I can get to a show where they are at I plan of having them sign the dash of my car.

Attached Files:

CowboyTed likes this.
  22. DW55

DW55

this is how I found the car and everyone told me I was crazy to buy it. the only thing I did not do to the car was the interior and I had a friend do that for me. a few times I almost agreed with them but I wanted to save it and not cut the quarters on a good body.

Attached Files:

timmy2times, jeffd1988 and Stogy like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

from what I have heard, John Milners character was very loosely inspired by PNW racer Dick Milner...

24. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I love the car...looks fantastic!..... "American Grafitti''gave me the ''reason to be'' in a hot rod of my own someday...started me on my path with the term ''car image''....very iconic, and I just gotta tell ya', ....it looks great, and has the right look to it....sure do like it a lot!;)

25. DW55

DW55

I want to thank everyone for the nice comments, car is not perfect or a high $$ show car . I wanted a good driver and it came out better than I thought it would. paint has a few ripples in it but I can live with it.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I was only commenting to Freds inference to Dennis Wilson, who did not appear in AG.

Not sure of the accuracy, but lots of interesting reading here.
    http://unofficialamericangraffiti.weebly.com/the-1955-chevy.html

27. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'. And in this pic thats a true field car

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

IMG_1983.JPG IMG_1977.JPG

So, I thought Mel's was in Orlando, at least that's where I found it......

jeffd1988 and CowboyTed like this.
  29. flamingokid

flamingokid

Bob Falfa would be proud.

CowboyTed likes this.