Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Clifton Hill Climb Racing the Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cac646, Sep 5, 2016.

1. cac646

cac646

This is the second year my local town has ran a SCCA sanctioned hill climb event up a local road. This race has history back to 1966 but has just recently been revived. It has 22 corners over 1.9 miles with 586 feet of elevation gain. I had prepared an off topic Camaro to have some fun with this year but a starter solenoid took me out after the practice session.

My hot rod has a simple 4 point cage and a 5 point harness so I asked the race officials if they'd let me substitute cars. They did so I ran the hot rod! This was way more fun than driving the Camaro even though it was slower. Best time was 145 seconds or an average speed of 47.5 mph or so. Not too bad on a road that is 25mph speed limits and bias ply whitewalls and drag slicks! Especially considering the other racers are semi-pro Pikes Peak hill climbers. The silver car behind me is a Townsend Typhoon with race history back into the 60's.

Everyone in attendance was astonished I'd race my car but they all loved it. Numerous people said throw away the Camaro and run the hot rod again next year with some decent tires. I just might have to do that!
    055.JPG IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1245.JPG IMG_1243.JPG

Jet96 and need louvers ? like this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Looks like a blast. Little coupe looks to have good handling.

3. Ralph

Ralph

Love it! They had some SERIOUS looking cars show up. Yep, throw the Camaro away, and blow the cobwebs out of the Little Chevy instead. Loved the "Shakeycam" video, too! Looked like it rolled at the end, but I'm guessing (hoping!)the camera mount fell off.

need louvers ? likes this.
  4. Fun! Thanks for the ride!

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Now that looks like fun! Gary

6. cac646

cac646

Here's a few more action shots. Phoenix or Tucson HAMB'rs there need to be more hot rodders show up next year. This is a ton of fun and the racing association is pretty flexible on letting our old stuff run which is pretty rare.

Attached Files: