Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheel and tire change on the ol pickup.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 5, 2016.

1. I had these wheels and tires siting arpund and since i need new rear tires on the wires... this seemed logical.

Went from these 17 in wire wheels with 5.50x17 and 7.50x17 tires

1473107698605.jpg

These 16 in steel wheels with 5.50x16 and 7.50x16

1473107681643.jpg

While obviously full fendered and ribbed dirt track tires are a completely different direction from each other. I do like the wheel change.
    What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cretin likes this.
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it, for whatever my opinion counts. It is YOUR truck and YOU are the one that's gotta be pleased with it.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. Gives the old pickup a entirely different look,I've always liked the truck and looks just as good. HRP

Hitchhiker likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like them both ways. Change them as your mood prefers. I'd prefer to see your headlights a closer color as the body. Really Nice pickup.

Hitchhiker likes this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Model A pickup ? 5.60s on '48 Merc wheels up front. 8.20s on reversed '55 Imperials out back. Black paint & baldies. Black or white tires ? Your choice ...

Hitchhiker likes this.
  6. ...please lower your headlites and paint em to match truck, I like the wires but looks good both ways,..love those A's

Hitchhiker likes this.
  7. I like the new combo. But that's just me......

Hitchhiker likes this.
  8. Yeah, I would too. But thats a tuff one for me as well. These are original black paint BLC headlights... I think I am gonna paint the truck to match the headlights instead. It needs it for peservation reasons.
    I walk out every morning and think damn it I gotta lower those headlights! It's basically a laziness problem. I need to get a another nice original to drop and I just haven't. I don't want to use a catalog dropped bar and I don't want to risk screwing up the bar on the truck currently as its my only vehicle and without headlights it would be rather useless. As far as painting them to match. I totally agree and I'm going to paint the truck to match the headlights. Haha.

Thanks everyone for the compliments and suggestions. Im gonna get on that dropped headlight bar thing asap. Just thought you'd like to see it a little different. I wore out the old 7.50x17 rear tires and decided to run these while I wait for new tires. These are meant for something else, but will do for now.

Petejoe and falcongeorge like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think both looks are period and equally weighted. My only criticism or observation is the solids look brand new as in the weathered look which the truck has just stands out in a way (just driving not washing them and letting nature take its course will take care of that perhaps). The wires match the truck as in they aged together. So what to do...perhaps polishing/buffing the buckets up will balance things up a bit. Tough decisions for sure...not for some but if you like the naturally used look and I know you do. Another way of looking at it would be back in the day farmer Joe got his raise and bought ole Betsy some new shoes...It was either new tires and rims or paint and guess what the outcome of that decision was? :rolleyes: Cool truck...

10. Nice look!
    Question - Does it feel any different driving with the solid wheels vs. spoked ?

11. avachace

avachace

12. I totally hear ya. The wires are also semi-gloss and have spent a year outside being driven on vs. Brand new full gloss. We'll see how they age. I like having both. I feel like the wires give it a tougher more truck like stance as well.

Stogy likes this.
  13. It does ride softer with the new wheels and tires. I think that has more to do with the tires than anything. I haven't driven it enough otherwise to see if it performs better. But it certainly seems to absorb road bumps better.

14. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

They both look good to me. I saw a vehicle once with different wheels/hubcaps on each side. I don't think that will work with your tire sizes though.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I really like the solids. Looks like a hot rod now.

1927graham likes this.
  16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Love it both ways, ya lower the headlights.

17. Rodders

Rodders

Looks good both ways.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

19. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The new 16 " wheels look much better, proportions have improved greatly in my opinion.

20. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

I agree with draggin GTO.