Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Speaking of pictures, you haven't posted a pic of your truck in a while. Did I you get those grill bars to work?

2. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Do they make 50 lb. rolls of mig wire.

3. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

HA!!! Speed holes for the push bar.......my Jedi mind tricks are working!

Runnin shine likes this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that's a lot of holes in that car. Is that sorta like an oral fixation type of thing? ;) ;)

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes master, you've learned me well.
    I'll have some pics of the whole thing finished soon. It will show it's blatant plagiarism in the gusset between the stainless push bar and spreader. I hope you don't .
    Young student Wyatt

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Ah man, I missed seeing you chop the top!

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Rick you didn't miss nothin. It's not chopped yet, I'd say it's cut. I cut the top off last year then took out 3.5 inch when I had a chance to get it sandblasted. Well technically I was getting the frame and other bits blasted but I had room on the trailer to just take the roof with me and see if I had any time left to get to it. It's not totally clean on the inside. The in tire body is being cut apart shortly to be soaked in molasses for a couple weeks.
    Now I've taken out another inch but it's not fitted at all. It still will be coming down a tad more while dialing it in for the best look with the downward angle I want and the leaned back A-pillars. I want to be around five in all at the front and whatever it takes in back to achieve something truly aggressive and that will stand out. I had to remind myself I'm building a Hot Rod and I have to be taken back by it as much or more than anyone when finished for it to have been worth the trouble and sacrifice. I at minimum require it to look as good as anything out there in overall stance, shape, and proportion from say... Oh across the street on an overcast and foggy day.

volvobrynk and Tim like this.
  9. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Ok, your off the hook. I probably read that you chopped it last year. I'm Mr. Short time memory.

Runnin shine likes this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Can't make any promises that I'll clean up the last 14 of the 19 holes anytime soon, it's annoying. Besides I'm way too busy trying to finish cutting this thing down. It still needs at least another 3-4 hours.
    [​IMG]

wedjim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Wooooo. Pump the brakes on that crank.... You get it to light and it will over rev, and kaaaa powwwww. Those are weights your grinding off and it's gonna take some major time at the machine shop to rebalance that nice merc crank. Iv seen them shaved some but not like that. I hope it works for you. Good luck keep us updated on that. Crazy you are...

dana barlow and Runnin shine like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I am being extra careful on the big weights Bruce. They are Flathead magic I've read. There'll be heavy metal put back in it though I'm sure. I've seen the two inner weights next to the center main(where I've spent most of my time) almost completely removed.
    [​IMG]
    I'm almost done cutting on it with 40 grit. Just have to finish the flywheel end journal's throws. Then it's getting at all the hard inside stuff and polishing it out some. I may only go to like 120grt.
    I've mostly been copying this guys work.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not trying to make it super lite now that I have the AL flywheel, just smooth. Keep it from cracking and and creating to much turbulence. I'll make a scraper and windage tray next after I get the dry sump plumbed and a aluminum pan with trap doors, lol. Gotsta squeeze everything I can out of this 286, I mean 287ci to keep Elmer in sight. The 287 is 1 more than you, lol. Actually I thought about seeing if I can get the crank offset ground another .010" after the .125"to get'r up to 288ci cause I like the sound of it.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Was hoping for an update :) looking good man

Runnin shine likes this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Wow after all that grinding it looks almost like a flathead Plymouth crank! Zing!

Looking good. Did you put the body in the molasses yet?

Runnin shine likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No Matt, have to remove the old paint from the outside of the panels first. I also should take the wood out of the roof since there's sure to be rust behind it. I should probably brace the two halfs first so I don't bend them up to much.
    I do have a 55 gallon drum full of smaller stuff going right now. It's been about four days. It's really nifty stuff. If it works out I will just be speechless. What a lips sealed secret, think of all the money and personal effort I've wasted on sandblasting!
    Was watching a kids Train show with my son and saw a old riveted tank car that was used for Molasses in some sort of industrial setting not cooking. I was like why the F has no one ever shared this with us rodders forever ago?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I've seen hamb guys doing it for at least a decade. @Rocky was the first person I can remember having a jumbo vat.

It takes time but it does work

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. Hey Wyatt please note: on your 49-53 crank you will need to run your 42-48 crank timing gear. On 59a motors the thrust is towards the block and on 8ba or 8cm motors the thrust is towards distributor. Two different cut gears. I'm diggin the push bar.

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well... I'm not to concerned with all that ballyhoo. Ever since getting all red while reading the negative stink that goes on with the Rolling Bones '32 coupe thread. I am going to break every stupid "rule" imposed by others who claim to know rodding.
    First step is to run a Jesel belt drive left over from my drag boat days. This way I can adjust the cam timing at every intersection to gain like 40 horse down low or 60 plus on top depending on what gold chaining hoarder pulls up next to me judging my fake ass aged paint and unworthy hot rod since I haven't earned my right to own one or the education to stop an enraged run-on-sentence.
    Some of you may not recognize my humor or sarcasm through their dial up internet connection or poor wifi signal in their outhouse
    P.s. I'm still bummed out every time I see that my PU build thread was pulled out of the Traditional section of this forum. I was probably going to ditch the rear axle but now I might have to go against the man if I am being rejected or put into a box. I was busting my rump to make that thing bad to the bone but since it will have a sbf instead of a Chevy and a T-5 like way too many others I guess I'm a dork and it will be a Street Rat "long live www radials!"
    Yes I'm being passive aggressive. I actually edited out a lot of negative ranting that probably was too intentionally directed at the Aholes that seem to outweigh the good guys I look up to here, sorry, but not sorry.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    jerseyboy likes this.
  19. it is still in the traditional hot rod section, fyi.
    carrion!

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I never find it there or at least gave up when I only could find it in the other.
    Damn it are you trying to stop my rant?
    Where's my red rattle can? I got some rims to tag!!!

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. Lol. :mad::mad: :D Keep hustling Wyatt. Those of that are into it get it.;)

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Movie quote... "I said what gear are you in?!" "Gear???"
    thanks!
    In all seriousness I have a major hard-on for Daka-Ware and Bakelite but I suppose a Aluminum cam gear would be more appropriate.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Find a steel cam gear. I had one out of an old sawmill flatty.

Tell the chainers the whine is from the hidden blower.......

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  24. Sir, step back from the keyboard. Don't do it! You have so much to live for. Just step back, take a breath, and come with me.
    Time to go out to the garage. The internet is getting you all wound up today! :)

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

HaHa SC! Yeah I get a touch hypocritical sometimes and mouth off. I climbed down off of the monitors edge once you guys chimed in.
    I'm back on the beast today. I really want to squeeze something in on my truck.
    Oh man how I can't get my mind from thoughts of that dern Hill Climb!

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Technically this is off topic but...
    [​IMG]
    I've had this amp for 25 years and only just realized why it's so special to me. If only it was a roadster I could get crazy money for it right?

27. That cord reminds me of the good ol days when we had house phones. We can't even choke people out any more with are cordless phones.:D

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

And I miss the feeling when you hang up in anger and slaps the handle back in its cradle, and you can hear the ringer do a slight ding.
    You can't hang up in a dramatic way without breaking your shitty smartphone.

Not all aspect of life gets better with evolution!!

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So you drill some holes in anything lately?

When I've been trying to sneak in my few minutes here and there your build always pops in my head and wonder how your progress is coming along.

Getting ready to stick everything in the vat of goo?