Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CD Player

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Sep 4, 2016.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Sorry not really related to the Model A but it is actually. I like listening to the 50's and 60's music,the old tunes while cruising in my old cars like most, reliving those good old days I spent several hrs looking on the internet tonight for the following with no luck.:
    CD Disk player only ( no radio as part of it)
    to be built into the dash or attached to the bottom of the dash in it's own frame
    very plain clean looking -no fancy lighting or frills,just a disk player

Have any of you ever come across such a CD Disk Player as I mentioned ? gene

2. squirrel

squirrel

About 15 years ago, I started "ripping" my CDs, turning them into data files. I can now copy them to any digital device, and play them lots of ways....including my phone, or copying to a CD as .mp3 files (you can fit about 20 normal CDs onto one CD this way) and play in an indash CD/mp3 player, or copy to a tiny mp3 player or iPod and plug it into an amplifier, or plug it into an FM transmitter and listen to it on an old in dash AM/FM radio...the possibilities are endless.

The only stand alone CD player I've used in a car is a Discman, which was the hot new replacement for the (cassette tape) Walkman, back in the late 80s. I don't know if they even show up in thrift stores any more.

3. They were rare when you could find them 25+ years ago, no such animal exists anymore... in fact, finding any sort of CD player is getting difficult; none of the medium or hi-end stuff has a CD player anymore. There's this.... http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm ...that you can get with an optional CD player or changer but these guys aren't noted for either their reliability or quality, so beware. As Squirrel noted, it's all about Ipods or smart phones these days; everything has a USB port now, with most in lieu of a CD ... You can still get a reasonably-priced single CD receiver but most all have faces like a jukebox. I've had good luck with the JVC units...

4. blazedogs

blazedogs

I feel like us old guys are getting left in the dust with all these new electronic devices that I know nothing about. I don't even know what all the terms and items are that you mentioned. don't even want a radio just a unit to play my old music with a couple of good speakers behind me so I can hear them over the load exhaust. gene

5. squirrel

squirrel

If you want to buy something new, that will play a CD, you can get one at walmart for under $100. It has all kinds of other features that will drive you nuts, but it will do what you want to do.

Other than that, you're kind of out of luck.

6. az2bc

az2bc

Bluetooth streaming audio is what you want. With that, anything you can get on your phone, you have on your stereo. USB port on front is also really good, probably better than BT if you don't have a smart phone. But if you are putting a normal stereo in your car, spend the extra and get BT, BT streaming and front usb. If you can use a computer to see this board, you have enough skill to get music online.

CDs are dead. Every cd you have ever listened to can fit on a cheap 16gb thumb drive as mp3. BT streaming audio, a smart phone and pandora, the musical world will open up. Seriously. I just today hooked my mom's smart tv to pandora I asked her to name a band she liked. She said Kingston Trio. It started playing them and other groups like it. All sorts of stuff she had forgotten about. She loved it. You will love it.

I have really liked Pioneer and crutchfield hooked me up with everything on my last install. If you are getting a a din sized stereo, I bought and can recommend the pioneer deh-x8800bhs. It does everything. I installed a sony recently and didn't like it as much.

Be warned, these radios are complicated and you will need to look at the instructions to get the fancy stuff to work.

I will be putting in a retrosound in my new old car https://www.retromanufacturing.com/ , but my car is 58, not a rod, so it should be almost unnoticeable. Otherwise I would get another pioneer 8800.

I don't work for any of these companies I mentioned. I have been really happy with crutchfield and really unhappy with frys electronics.

Good car stereos with good speakers are all loud enough to cause hearing damage. You should be able to hear it. Amps and additional complication is only for showing off, but a sub is nice...

Stereos and smartphones can do amazing things. The first time Waze and your smartphone helps you avoid a speedtrap... You will never go for a drive without your phone again, no matter what you think of phones and driving. Hell, if it saves you once it paid for the stereo and then some. I love that app! I don't work for google, either.

Although, google deepmind alphago, I will be at the robotics conf in san jose shortly, we can talk...

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think the thing which bugs us middle-aged-plus guys is the realization that twenty years isn't a long time. Nothing is absolutely permanent, but when we want permanent data storage we have the sneaking suspicion that the kid selling it means something completely different by "permanent". Vinyl is fairly permanent, given physical storage under favourable conditions. So are CDs. But I dug out an old cassette to play something for my wife the other day and the sound wasn't what it had been. I was expecting the gummy tape to tangle at any moment. In the end it was the perished drive belt in the deck that brought that session to an end, luckily not before the song I wanted to play had ended. And I've still got it on vinyl; I just need to get my late grandmother's hi-fi going.

Apparently solid-state memory drives are pretty permanent, moreso than hard drives, but we are of the generation who has seen too many stiffy discs (remember them?) go corrupt due to looking at them sharply to trust anything solid-state intuitively. But they have the advantage of being easy to access and easy to hide. I tend to prefer PC-end stuff over phone-end stuff.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get the whole MP3-BT-flash drive thing, the size and ease once you get it sorted, etc. In my not so humble opinion the music isn't nearly as clear, nowhere near vinyl or cassette quality of the past. It's muted, like to much Dolby noise reduction or something. Play "Ina Gadda Da Vida" through one of these new gigs. Some of the echo, the duration of certain strings, it's gone. What do we do? Suck it up and keep looking for audio "good stuff". New music is sort of tuned for electronic delivery but a song like "La Grange", and I mean the original vs the remix, it just doesn't deliver 100%. I'm also aware that the majority of listeners don't have a clue as to what I mean but I can hear it.

9. upspirate

upspirate

I just installed a mini amp under the dash with a switch to turn it on & off and hooked to existing speakers in the kick panels.
    Then I got a 3.5 jack and installed that under the lip of the dash.
    When I want to listen to music, I plug my I-Pod into the jack with a 3.5 wire , and turn the amp switch on and control the volume from the I-Pod My I-pod also has an FM radio in it.
    Amp: IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG

10. upspirate

upspirate

You have a point... to a point. If in a good listening environment , this would be true , but just to hear oldies in a loud or throaty hot rod , one probably couldn't tell much difference.

Ned Ludd and barryvanhook like this.
  11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A lot of the difference you're hearing is real, but it's not the equipment. The song is the same, but has been remastered differently. Look up "loudness wars" for details. I've been ripping my collection of vinyl to avoid this problem.

For audio, I'm looking at a "boat" Bluetooth amplifier. It can be hidden out of sight, since it doesn't have any control knobs anyway. It's nice to have some tunes for long drives, but I don't want a modern stereo head unit poking out of my dash.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Bruski

Bruski

I have a older Pioneer am/fm cd radio mounted in the glove box I my 37 chevy. Very basic, chrome face and controls. I don't listen to the radio, preferring my music that I burn from vinyl. I've been collecting lp's since 1964. I do stream music also, mostly TuneIn or streema. Large selection of music available but it doesn't sound as whole as the older analog technology..just my opion...

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

CD's are about as obsolete as 8 track tapes. In this day and age of technology its not necessary to butcher up your dash, add a CD player, amplifier, speakers or clutter up your car with wiring you don't need.
    I use my IPOD (with thousands of songs of my choice) and a bluetooth JBL Flip II speaker that I bought at Best Buy for $100. I'm also sure the sound quality is way better then most automotive speakers. The whole system is totally portable. After parking put the IPOD in your pocket and stick the speaker under your seat. Great to use in the car, garage, beach, anywhere. This is the easiest, cheapest way to listen to quality tunes without messing up your car with unneeded clutter..

Gary

clunker likes this.
  14. You could get something along the lines of a disc changer, they actually make them single disc although that would not be called a disc changer.:D The down side to a remote disc changer is that they usually require a separate head unit and amp.

If my car had a trunk or even a seat that was not flat on the floor and I wanted to play CDs while cruising, I would look into a multi disc changer and a head unit.

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I'm so old school that I don't have music in my cars. I also realise I am probably in the 1% that can get by without music.
    Several of my friends have gone the ipod route and are quite happy with a system Gman and others have mentioned.
    Small and portable.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I thought that surely someone would have come up with a source for a basic CD player by now...but no...

huh

Ned Ludd likes this.
  17. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

This one is about as plain as they come, but you still need to install an amp to power it and some way to control volume.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoust...69&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=under+dash+cd+olayer

If you don't want to install an amp and want the CD player to provide amplified power to the speakers, you might be better off to buy a regular el cheapo CD radio, don't hook up an antenna, and make some kind of cover to hide it once installed. Even the $69 - $99 units will have aux inputs, bluetooth, and a remote for when your buddies bring their fancy phones and ipods along.

squirrel likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put me in there with ya! Unless I'm by myself, I seldom turn on the stereo in any of my vehicles. I listen to the XM in my semi truck constantly, mostly old time radio programs from the 30's through the early 60's. I bought a cheap ass AM/FM cassette off of eBay that I am going to hide behind a door in a wooden console I'm planning on building for my Lincoln just so I can get a weather report or news if I need it. Might even put it on a classic rock station every once in a while, but it won't be used much. I'm more into listening to my engine purr than music anymore...

19. blazedogs

blazedogs

As one of mentioned. Go to Walmart,they have them for less than 100 bucks. Your right ,they did. Yup, they,re are real fancy ,have the AM/FM Radio blue light backgound,all the bells and whistles,and look gaudy and ugly. Maybe that's as close as I will come. I like cars to be plain looking throughout.A carry through from the old days maybe. Do any of you remember the SMOOTHY look popular in the early 60's.? The first thing we did was take all the chrome off , fill the holes and paint. Still like that look even today; the clean smooth look through out.
    From a different era I guess

I may just do without a CD Player Thx so much for the imput Gene

20. I'm with Highlander, the 'compressed' audio formats just don't get it for me, sounding at best like a medium-quality dolby-ized cassette tape and usually not that good. And early CD versions of some albums also suck big time, although these are getting better. I do wish they would quit emptying their archives and adding 'bonus' tracks to albums; these cuts didn't make the original album for a reason...

I've tried numerous times to use 'lossless' recording (uncompressed audio) to a thumb drive with no success. The computer nerds all say MP3 'sounds just as good' but it surely doesn't.

21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Is that why I can't find the version of Cream's Sitting On Top of the World with the hairy bassline anywhere except my Holland-only copy of Stirring the Cream on vinyl?

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Me too. I don't even have sound in my DD. I've found that it causes the windows to break. Besides, even that is reaching an age where I want to keep my ears open for expensive sounds.

23. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I am selling my nos 4 track player. I have a few tapes but I don't think you can buy new ones haha.

24. Different albums could have different mixes of the same song, even if they started with the same master tapes. That is one thing that's interesting about some of the better CD software; you can alter the mix....

25. squirrel

squirrel

My hearing is pretty lousy, and all my cars are pretty loud, so I don't worry much about the loss due to digitizing muzak.

But I'll bet I've listened to an 8 track more recently than any of you have :)

upspirate likes this.
  26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca