Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb Q: 5.0 Vs 289/302. What's the differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PEDDRO, Mar 16, 2006.

1. tjm73

tjm73

That is absolutely correct. '86 was a 1 year only totally flat top (no valve clearance notches) piston configuration. But since any rebuild should include pistons proper to your application they will likely be replaced anyway.

2. Just to confuse issues even more 1968 C code 289's were actually 302 blocks with 289 reciprocating assemblies ( same bore). IIRC there may be skirt issues when you try to stroke a 289 too large so the 302 block is a better block to use.

BTW the 5.0 liter designation was used way back on the Mustang II.

Stu

3. tjm73

tjm73

Not sure on this one.

This will be the 351W/302 H.O. firing order. FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) makes Mustang shorty headers specific to those heads as does Central Coast Mustangs. You may be able to use regular headers with high temp resistant spark plug boots. The GTP heads bring the spark plugs out at a different angle than the regular heads.

The FRPP catalog lists different shafts for differetn applications so this seems to be true.

4. chopndrop

chopndrop

87 and up had a slightly longer oil pump shaft. I dont remember whats different, but I think that if you are using earlier intake and dist you should be okay with the early one. Dont quote me on this, just something to research.

5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

6. tjm73

tjm73

Absolutly WRONG! Two totally different engine family's with no connection.

The 4.6 is a overhead cam 281 cubic inch engine. No relation at all.

7. tjm73

tjm73

The difference is in the EFI distributor combo with the roller cam. What that difference is exactly I'm not sure.

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ah my apologies....I've been schooled wrong. A 289 is 4.7 liters *ROUGHLY*...........OH and 302's REALLY aren't a full 5 liters.:D They about 3-4 inches TOO SHORT. Just like men to lie about the size.:p:D

9. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Okay, let's say I have the shaft from the '87-88 engine...and I want to convert to a "newer" read: "aftermarket" distributor...a la Petronix one wire. which admittedly is designed for non-EFI applications...or, for that matter, I have a rebuilt dizz for a non-HO, non-EFI car. How far off am I?

I don't have a pre 302 EFI oil pump shaft...can I buy a Petronix dizzy and use the oil pump shaft from my non-HO '87-88 302? Or should I contact FRMS and tell them what I am up to and see if they recommend something (costly). :) ?

thanks,

mercman

10. Ford calls them 5.0 because the 4.9 is already used for the 301 inline six.Plus maybe 5.0 sounds cooler! :) Stu

11. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Like I said, men lie about the size ALL the time.

Ah well it's a 305 of sorts....makes it REALLY confusing now don't it?:D

12. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I don't care what size I have, as long as it RUNS! :)

13. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

the boss 302 was used as a fix for the one year only 1968 tunnel port 302.......the tunnel port heads were too good........kept rpm high and the bottom ends couldn't handle it..........

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You can use any distributor - there are minor length differences, but most of it has to do with the distributor body end - the intake doesn't matter which distributor you use (we ain't dealing with a SBC here). There were some minor variations on the lower end, but it really doesn't matter as there's only one pump drive shaft so as long as it's fully engaged, it'll turn.

15. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Let's not forget, if you have the roller cam motor & want to use a duraspark dist, the dist gear must be changed. www.fordracingparts.com You can download the instructions there & choose the correct gear. You will want a "spare parts" distributor when you make the change. .....Don't ask :D
    The late timing covers do not have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump, the motorsport shorty kit uses 95 mustang components....odd waterpump
    E7 heads can be made to flow very well, just remember, port velocity is the key.Don't go nuts on "enlarging" the ports, just clean up the intake side. On the exhaust, look at the centerline of the port, in relationship to the valve stem....and move accordingly
    sure i'll remember more later..... just .02 for now

16. Beemer

Beemer

My '88 Cougar had a non-H.O. 302 and it had the roller cam.

17. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

the 5.0 stuff will all bolt up to the 289/302.
    SOME (after 86) 5.0 blocks were ROLLER cam but you can still use a hydraulic if you want.
    IF you use the 5.0 heads, in SOME cases you have to use the EFI manifold due to the angle the intake bolts are aligned.
    the blocks are the same as the earlier 302.
    Water pumps are a different story. they all bolt up but beware of the reverse rotation pumps (due to the serpentine belt)

you should have NO problems putting 5.0 heads on a 302. It's very common. In fact the ford expolorer's with the 5.0 (gt40P) heads are the cheap way to get some nice power as well!

mike
    engine dude

ps. firing orders are cam related and the late model firing order is good for HP!

18. tjm73

tjm73

Thsi is the era where things get hazy with respect to what got roller cams. My grand mother had a '90 Crown Vic that quite frankly blew teh dorrsof any other Crown that had rolled through my Dad's Ford dealership. It was never confirmed, but we beleive it was a roller cam car.

There didn't seem to be any ryhme or reason one vehicle got a roller cam and another didn't for a while.