Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mounting fuel filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffgies, Jul 7, 2016.

1. jeffgies

jeffgies

Any suggestions on how would you mount a fuel filter such as a Fram G3727? I'm planning to install along an un-boxed frame rail. I would think that the filter itself should be supported with some type of bracket rather than just relying on the clamps securing the fuel line to do all of the work.

thanks

Jeff

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. I have a smaller version before my elect. pump and just the lines support it fine. My OT truck came like that from the factory. A horizontal coil bracket(adjustable) might work for your filter if you think it needs it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

ewww....metric.....

:)

The metal lines will support it ok, although you can use a big clamp to hold it if you want more reassurance.

clamp.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  4. jeffgies

jeffgies

Uh oh! Didn't realize that it was metric. That's odd that my 3/8" fitting (sample) threaded in just fine. hmmmmm

5. squirrel

squirrel

I could be wrong. But I got the metric thing from the online Fram catalog page.

6. jeffgies

jeffgies

yeah, I see that too there and at Summit. Crap

7. Don't know what diameter your filter is but this and some rubberized tape makes a secure mount. edit- I type slow...maybe this will fit the new one you buy
    iuNVGWY2HT.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. jeffgies

jeffgies

I stressed over this for a while and then got to thinking - if I'm bending my own lines and flaring the ends, what difference does it make if one end of the line is standard (English) inverted flare and the other metric? Now I just to figure out what is involved with bubble flares. I've got one of those Eastwood Pro flaring tools and it does these, but is there an additional seal required? Do I just use a normal flare nut (mind you 16 mm size)?

That G3727 filter is the only one I found that has 2 threaded ends....and is used on a number of common GM applications.

Wraymen: could you tell me where you found that coil clamp. I like it

thanks

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. jeffgies

jeffgies

Wraymen: do you have any info on this coil bracket?

10. Its a standard horizontal coil mount. I don't remember where I got the picture. Here are a few at Summit. FMS-M-12044-A2_HX_ml.jpg SDK-C4DZ-12043-A_ml.jpg
    M-12044-A2 and C4DZ-12043-A
    These types are very common and you should be able to find them at most parts places. I don't know what diameter your filter is but this should work if its close to that of a standard coil.

11. H380

H380
    from Louisiana