Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. CBurne7

CBurne7

ahahaha that's funny.

2. loudbang

loudbang

One of the successful lady drivers...

Carol "Bunny" Burnett "Cotton Pony"

Carol Bunny Burnett.jpg

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Is Bunny still racing her Alcohol funny car?
    Jimbo

loudbang likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Don't know but she would be up there pretty good in age by now :rolleyes:

5. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Yes, she has a pair of Funnies, and they're still racing. Bunny has had a series of health problems, and hasn't driven herself for a few years, but is always there when they are booked. I believe she is about 73 now.

6. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

That is frikkin awesome!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thanks Bob for the update on Bunny.
    She is one very nice person and she has been racing funny cars for a long time.

Jimbo

8. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Bunny celebrated her birthday at Quaker City this year. I believe it was either 72 or 73.
    [​IMG]

9. Here's a few earlier pix. The first one was taken at the NSRA '74 Nats East in Timonium, MD. I'm not sure about the other one, but it appears to be from around the same time.
    Bunny Burkett \'74 Nats East.jpg Bunny Burkett.jpg

10. 442Mike

442Mike

Blownolds could you email me @ [email protected] please. I have someone looking or information.
    Thanks

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Otie is alive and well. Lives across town from me in Greenwood In.

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

13. counterman

counterman

Atco ?? '67 or 68 Cole& Cole ran well. That's Ed Beyer's second 60 Pontiac (987) in background. The first one (Scalper 2) was crashed soon after he built it. Ed could really make those Pontiacs fly.

loudbang likes this.
  14. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Yeah, Atco or Akco, as we pronounced it. I grew up right around the corner from the track. Got so that after a while I could sit on my front porch and tell what classes were running by the sound of the cars going through the gears.

tommyd and loudbang like this.
  15. Was Ed's car that crashed a dark red and went off the track at Cecil ? If my memory is working Ed was not driving.

loudbang likes this.
  16. counterman

counterman

If I remember correctly Dale Young was Ed's understudy. They also had a Mercury deal soon after. The Scalper2 was dark maroon. The replacement 60 Pont. Star Chief ran in primer was pretty rough but ran well. Ed was also a wiz with traction bars. His design bars really made our 55 Chevy modified car really hook up on7" tires Ed was also the Hurst "Shifty Doctor" for a while. Was also a Rep for JR headers who marketed Ed's traction bars as JR Action Bars. He was crew chief for Billy "The Kid" Stepp Pro Stock in Ohio. He was a good guy and would stop at our house. He loved my mom's ravioli.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Ed told me many times that I was cheating but had no idea how. One day at Cecil I said bring your car over and we'll see if my secret will work on your car. We ran similar cars. In the pits we knocked off between 2 or 3 tenths and gave him the jets he was using and told him what size we put in and not to vary much. I never told him what else we did and I bet it drove him nuts. I stopped racing after '68 because work, National Guard, NHRA rules changes and life in general. BTW the needle and seat valves were too small and did no pass enough gas. The n&s valve from a 287 hp carb worked wonders. Big jets made the problem worse. Ed never said we were cheating again.

18. counterman

counterman

Once Ed told us he screwed up and put the secondary jets in the primary and vice e versa the car liked it. My buddy Joe Dougherty of Doc's delivery fame told me he saw Ed stop on the return road about half track and get out of his car as the Monster Mash made a pass. Ed was checking to see how many shifts Spyder made on that run. Quite a guy

biscaynes and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Fermier Bros. D/Stock 406 cubic inch 385 horsepower

Fermier Bros. DStock 406 cubic inch 385 horsepower.jpg

61Chevy at Dover Dragstrip NY

61Chevy~DoverNY.jpg

Caddy Stocker

Caddy stocker 1.jpg

Royal Pontiac stocker 1960 Nationals

Pontica stocker 1960 Nationals.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  20. After the record meet at Cecil in '65 a few of us thought we would check out Pocono the next week, Pocono had a cash option if you won it would go up every week until you lost. The guy in my class won a lot and protested my car. He was going nuts even after the Nation Dragster listed us with a new record and the paint was still on the block/head section on the side the head was not removed. I did not like that track and never went back. The guy who protested was getting about $200 a week before our visit. I was only protested one other time and was P&Ged and found that I was one cubic inch short.

loudbang and biscaynes like this.
  21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I remember the "Shifty Doctor" '57 very well. In fact, I bought a Hurst 4-spd from him in the pits at E-Town one day.
    Verne

loudbang likes this.
  22. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really?? A pair of Pontiac's on page 421!!

loudbang likes this.
  23. Rom and I split time helping each other in the early '60's. He had a red '62 Pontiac and I helped him a lot that year. I gather he passed about 5 years ago. Did you hang out at that gas station near the White Horse Bar ?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Special treat for Mopar Junior Stock fans.

A short history lesson on the early days of Ramchargers in their words.

Time was running out on doing something for the '62 model year as many new parts needed to be designed, tested, tooled and produced. These included new heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and camshaft for the engine. The car needed a better transmission and different exhaust system.
    The engine was basically the same as that run in the Ramchargers '61 car, since there was no time for engine development. The new heads had a much thicker deck in addition to larger ports. The thick deck precluded head gasket failure. The exhaust manifolds were built for best flow with no tuning.

The Engine Design Department "refined" the cam designed by Jim Thornton resulting in a cam that was not quite as good. The Borg-Warner T-85 three-speed transmission was selected as it was a known strong unit and had good synchronizers. New gears with a 2.2 low gear ratio was tooled along with different input and output shafts. A new clutch housing was tooled that was explosion-proof eliminating the need for a separate scatter shield. It all came together in May when 100 Plymouths and 100 Dodges were produced - and they were the most ready to race car ever mass produced. Change the tires and go.

The Ramchargers had assembled a '62 racecar for the Winter Nationals. The old short-long ram manifold was used that required major surgery of the inner fender wells. The old, nasty Chrysler 3-speed transmission was used. Perhaps it was fortunate that the Winter Nationals were rained out and all the guys had to fly home, except me.
    I flew my wife Carole out and we had a makeshift honeymoon in California.

The following Sunday, while the Winter Nationals were running, we took the car to Fontana along with Al Eckstrand in a Torqflite equipped Chrysler 300. We raced each other several times with our Dodge being much stronger at the top end. The new B-body being much lighter than the '61 was running in the 12s at 112-113mph.
    But I noticed that Al got a very good launch with the automatic transmission. This piece of observation would serve us well in the spring. After the Fontana fling the car was shipped back to Detroit.

The Ramchargers 1962 413 Super Stock Dodge -- the first of the factory built Super Stockers

Ramchargers1 see email.JPG

This drag race put Chrysler Corp on the map

Ramchargers2.JPG

Tom Hoover and the 1962 Dodge 413 Super Stock engine

Ramchargers3.jpg

Factory photo of one of the 1962 413 Dodge Dart

Ramchargers4.jpg

The 1962 car, not certified by NHRA running in A/FX. It was used by Mike Buckel on his honeymoon in California.

Ramchargers5.jpg

Mike Buckel and Jim Thornton just driving around Southern California in the Ramchargers new A/FX Dodge - soon to be certified as a SS/SA car.

Ramchargers6.jpg

25. loudbang

loudbang

Not enough Ramchargers ......... well we have more LOL :rolleyes:

Ramchargers article. For those of us with "Old Eyes"click on the photos and they get big enough to read the small print.

Ramchargers article1.jpg

Ramchargers article2.jpg

Ramchargers article3.jpg

Ramchargers article4.jpg

Ramchargers article5.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    1947knuck, brut4s, tommyd and 4 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

28. loudbang

loudbang

29. loudbang

loudbang

And from the same old thread

"The Fugitive" A/S chevy

The fugitive AS chevy.JPG

30. counterman

counterman

Is that Tony Pizzaz? the Fugitive I remember was black