Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Small Block Chev Alternator/ Starter Combo Unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goleafsgo_12, Aug 29, 2016.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The center register hole is an easy fix. That ring is for sale from multiple vendors, or a good machinist can make one.

If the ears on the transmission did not match the bellhousing on the early Camaro, then the T5 was not from a Camaro.

From the late 1940's, until the early 1990's, all GM/Muncie/Saginaw/BW transmissions for V8 use had the same pattern:
    [​IMG]

2. I wasn't real worried about the register, I could make an adapter easy enough, but the ear issue was another subject. I could only go by what the customer brought me. ^^^ This is good reference, Thanks

But this does bring up another question, what small block stock bell had a starter mounting provision that would still be available in a junk yard?

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the yard. Where I am, not one single yard has anything old. They are only interested in vehicles 15-years-old or younger.

It would depend on if he needs an easy hydraulic clutch provision, or not.

If not, probably my junk pile.

4. Same down here ;)

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I wonder IF he means TRI-FIVE (T-5); that would have bell-housing mounted starter? Se4ems there were LARGE Chevrolet/GMC trucks that still used a bell-housing mounted starter into the early 80's (Not that they would be practical for a car application)? Just a thought. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There is a Johnny Cash ring to this thread . If all else fails with all the good answer's that may not get used. OP could install a blower adapter. [​IMG]

7. Thanks for the replies. The bell I have I late 50's chev from what I'm told. Its a 327. The aluminum T5 bell takes a standard 10.5" clutch and a 13"/ 150 something tooth flywheel. My original problem was finding the combo of parts to make the system work because I only have 1 starter choice (bellhousing mounted style) as my block doesn't have any bosses in the block for a starter. That starter only works with a 14" flywheel but I couldnt get a clutch with the spline count to suit a 14" flywheel. In keeping with oem parts, I've solved this situation with an 11" 26 spline clutch from an 82 camaro z28 (the only year for this clutch), 14"/ 168t flywheel (very common for 30+ yrs), 50's cast iron bell with starter mount (common from 50's cars to early 70's trucks). This also places the trans back in vertical registration, and I can keep the camaro tail stock since a 34 ford is 10" longer than a model A, and the shifter is in perfect position as is.

The problem has been solved with stock parts and I'll use a will wood master and slave with oem throw out bearing and common gm clutch arm