Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 15" caddy rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andrew Sutcliffe, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Hi gentlemen. New to this. I hope someone may help me. I'd really like to put 15" caddy caps on my 48 poncho. I'd like to know if late 40's early 50's caddy rims are a different offset or width to accomodate sombreros? Or if I can just use 15" Chevy rims and caddy caps? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Andrew.

2. threewindow

threewindow

I put them on my 51 merc on 15 inch chevy wheels, but it takes a lot of work. nothing alike

Andrew Sutcliffe likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

They're wheels ... rims are the outer part of a wheel.
    Chev wheels don't fit Pontiacs. Olds & Buick fit, but the Cad covers won't.
    Any '47 - '55 Cad 15'' wheel will fit your Pontiac as is.
    '47 - '50 will have the spring clips already riveted to the center, '51 up have the slots but seldom the clips.
    After Dave posted, I remembered '53 covers are made in 2 styles, so clips are common on '53 wheels.
    38, I know better ...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

These are stock 53 Cadillac Wheels ( with the clips ) IMG_0845.JPG

5. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Ok, This is what I have learned about Caddy Sombreros and Caddy wheels. The Caddy wheels from 1941 to 1947 are 15"x 5 1/2" wide with a 5" bolt circle. In 1947 the first Sombrero cap was released, it will fit the 41-47 wheel. It can be identified by having one drain hole on the part that snaps into the clips of the Cadillac wheel. In 1948-52 the wheel was widened to 15"x6" (same bolt circle) but the part that snaps on to this wheel was made wider and deeper to accommodate the wider wheel. This Sombrero can be identified as having 2 drain holes. The 48-52 cap (2 drain holes) will stay on a 41-47 wheel but the cap will stick out about 1/4 inch from the rim. If you try to put a 47 cap (1 drain hole) on a 48-52 wheel the cap will pop right back off in your hands or on a hard turn. To sum this up, Sombrero's were made to fit Cadillac wheels with the retaining clips (5ea.) on the inner part of the wheel in between the lug holes. I'm not saying they can't be modified to clip on the outer diameter like regular hubcaps mount, it's just that they were made to mount differently than most full wheel covers. They are now making repo SS Sombrero's, not cheap $200 a pop for the 48-52 wheel. McVeys in Kansas has them and I've also seen them on ebay. Hope this clears up some questions!

Andrew Sutcliffe and 302GMC like this.
  6. ...and the items in question are wheel covers. :rolleyes:

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

So .... the coveted '47 - '50 wheel cover ... many believe it was used in '51 - '52 as well, but all literature & real live cars I've seen have the J. C. Whitney looking covers. Can anyone verify any '51 or '52 Cadillacs delivered with "sombrero" covers ?

8. It does thank you very much!