Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Shoebox of a Different Shade

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 2, 2016.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

A Shoebox of a Different Shade

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

504640 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Rem

Rem

That looks pretty nice and all the front chrome seems to work together, although the lower side spear and/or the skirts need a re-think.

504640 likes this.
  3. 504640

I am totally with you on the side spear. It is not symmetrical with anything else on the car and is out of place, resulting in dreadful clutter. There is so much to brag about on this car, but my initial focus was on that lower spear. I like the way the nice hood bead drops into the void of the 2 piece grill. and the rounded hood corners are in symmetry with the curvature of the neat headlight hoods. The bumper is interesting, with the upper, narrow extension.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

Lose the grille and the spear and you've got a nice looking ride.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  6. 504640

Yeah! I'm not too keen on those 2 piece grills either. What would you use? 54 Pontiac grill? Teeth?

Gabe Fernando and flamingokid like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree about the lower side trim and the skirts, but I really like the grille treatment (perhaps because I owned a '55 Dodge in a former life).

8. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

It might not be the most elegant part, but, I'll defend the lower side spear.

I think with the upper trim being so high up the body there's too much blank, empty real estate until the bottom of the rockers. It's a whole lot of sheet metal with nothing to draw the eye.

Maybe a thinner spear, or shorter/longer one would have looked "better," but it works well enough to break up that expanse.

I like everything about this one.

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'd probably go with teeth.

Gabe Fernando and 504640 like this.
  10. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Over all great stance and proportion. I agree that the lower spear has to go. And a little different skirt treatment might 'clean up' the sides.

flamingokid and 504640 like this.
  11. ahshoe

ahshoe

I was going to use the 55 Dodge 2 piece grill. Actually had one and held it up to mock it. But changed my mind as the center space looked as if something was missing. It is amazing however how close the front fender on the shoebox matched the Dodge grill.. Instead I went with '53 Chevy center bar and teeth on my '50.

Attached Files: