Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Barn Find....To cool not to share.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dukeb, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Dukeb

Dukeb
    from Utah

I recently stumbled across this neat old barn find located about 3 miles away from my home. I have lived in this town my whole life and had no idea that this barn even existed. A few weeks ago as I was looking through some local classified ads I saw a listing for an old gas pump. Included in the listing was a picture of the old gas pump. As I looked at the picture, I noticed some old model A front axles sitting next to it.
    I picked up the phone and made a quick call to the individual trying to sell the pump. I told him that I was admiring his old gas pump and noticed that there were a few old car parts sitting next to it. I then asked if he had any other old car parts. To my surprise the voice over the phone said..."Do I have old car parts....lets see...I have a few model T's and 3 or 4 Model A's"...My heart started racing as I asked if they might be for sale. A quick response rang through the phone..."it is all for sale". I asked for his address, ran out to my car and headed straight there. The five minute drive seemed excruciatingly long despite the fact that I was literally flying to get there.
    I arrived to a little old home that was overgrown by the trees and landscaping. I met a gentlemen at the front gate leading to the backyard. As I walked in, I felt as if I had just walked through the pearly white gates of heaven. I was amazed. There was treasures scattered everywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes. I quickly scanned the entire yard but could not see any of the cars that we had spoke about over the phone. After a few minutes of ogling, I couldn't take it any longer. I asked..."Sir, you mentioned over the phone that you had some sold model A's & T's. could we take a look at them? He then led me down this pathway to the old barn.
    As we pried open the old sagging wood door, light slowly crept into the old building. Wow! The old owner of this building had mastered the art of hoarding. Buried in this building were the 3 model a's that we had spoke about earlier. Now my heart was really racing. I couldn't dig in fast enough. I felt like Mike Wolf from the TV show American Pickers. I was digging through stuff that I'm sure hadn't seen daylight in 40 years. Treasures were everywhere. All I could think about was....."Buy it all". After the sensory overload that I was experiencing, I asked about the model T's. He then lead me to a smaller garage. As we walked in I recognized the old gas pump that was originally in the ad. Tucked back in the corner of this garage were the model T's.
    After looking at the T's I decided it was time to try and cut a deal. I pulled a wad of cash out of my pocket and started to negotiate ...I wanted to show this guy that I was serious and not just blowing smoke. As we were talking his phone started to ring...and he started to give people the same response that he had given to me over the phone earlier...."Yes, I have a ton of old car parts, model T's & A's". That excitement that I had earlier had was quickly changing to nervousness now. Before I knew it other people were starting to show up to the property. I started to get that sick to your stomach feeling you get when you feel you just missed out on the find of lifetime.
    Our conversation abruptly came to a close when other people started to show up. The gentlemen acted surprised to see others reactions as they saw all of the cars. He then chose to do nothing with the cars at the moment. He wanted to see if he would generate more interest to drive the purchase price up.
    For the next ensuing 3 weeks I continued to call him daily to see if he had made his mind up. He would only tell me that he had multiple parties interested and that I should make him an offer that he couldn't refuse. I told him that I would stick to my original offer and that that was my highest and best. This story actually has a good ending!! After 3 torturous weeks, he finally gave me a call this past Sunday and agreed to make a deal on the Model A's. As soon as I hung up the phone, I drove to his home to put cash in his and hand.
    I am in the process of loading up the cars and parts now. I will continue to post further pictures as I make progress. I hope you enjoy barn find posts as much as I do. Enjoy the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

WOW, they are still out there. Congratulations

3. Incredible! I think I see a cab/sport coupe, 28-29 pickup and a sedan, right? Good score my friend.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

5. Nice, love it. What did you end up buying from him?

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Great story and ending! Reminds me of my swap meet experiences; every time I take interest in something, somebody else walks up and asks about it.

7. simply fantastic, great score.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great score, congratulations! With just a little work, that sedan looks ready to run.

9. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That was a very well written story. If you're not a professional writer you should be. Good luck with the cars....

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

So...you..got Everything?!?!
    So nice!

11. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Man, oh man....that is a fantastic find!!!;)

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

some day I'd like to buy a forlorn property like that at a greatly reduced price because of all the junk that needs to be hauled off.... only in my dream it is 32 and 34 Fords and stacks of doors and fenders

Fedman likes this.
  13. Love this story, thanks so much for sharing!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Dukeb

Dukeb
    from Utah

Guys....I really appreciate your excitement on my behalf. I am truly a blessed man. I was there late last night digging out the 29 sedan. There is a ton of work to be done before I can dig out the 29 pickup & 29 cabriolet. There is also a ton of parts that go with the deal. At my last count I believe I acquired close to 10 model A engines. Tons & Tons of parts. I am super stoked about the deal. I don't want to come across as bragging or boasting. I simply wanted to post this for others enjoyment. I have always loved reading about others good fortunes. Keep the barn find posts coming! I love reading about them.

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was ready for "......and then I woke up !" Either that or endless posts saying "bull shit!"
    Looks like you found the holy grail, however. Congratulations, my friend, Christmas came early for you.

C. John Stutzer and Truck64 like this.
  16. That was a good read. I was getting nervous for you just reading it. Glad it panned out for the best.

17. You are not,and you have..... Good for you! Hope you make friends because there might be some other forseen treasures lurking....

18. :oops:Kinda imagining 10 hot Bangers all revving in a line..

Some prick nicked my Clymer 'A' album- so refresh a 'gettin' old type- is that an early 'A' sport coupe?

Corvette yellow it
    50 merc/'40, cap, ring & blackwall it
    chop it
    slam it

Sedan, coupe & truck- you are one fine turkey.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  19. Kick ass story. For every 1000 ''I'm gonna fix 'em up one day'' stories, there's a shining (rusty?) star
    like yours.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Man, there's sheds full of fun, right there! Good luck to ya....!

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

You have to buy him dinner for keeping you first in line.
    For the next month.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. I am so jealous. Wouldn't know what to do with such a find, but it's like King Tuts Tomb.

mmm, mmm, MMM!

23. You did well. Congratulations.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for sharing! The '29 Cabriolet looks like the pick of the litter to me. Is there a body builder tag on the T Depot Hack, nice to see an original. Wonder what all the parts will turn out to be, what a great find. Bob

25. DSmoke

DSmoke

Great find, and very exciting story, those were probably the longest weeks of your life.

26. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Great Discovery/Purchase, once in a while, I hear or read about a sale and follow up on it here in northern Wi., Have not hit on anything yet or ever, but there's always a chance, kinda like lottery tickets, one score would be big.

28. Slopok

Slopok

So.....did you get the gas pump???o_O

Toymont and 49ratfink like this.
  29. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

what a score!

Baumi likes this.
  30. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I know the odds are slim but do the cars have titles? We'll take more pics when you get a chance. Congrats! :D