Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow Marty kool shit! I thought I was good putting BIG NUTS on my 40 Ford axles.

Gary

2. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Thanks for the info. I have a set of Drum/Hubs like is on the rear of the Black number 2 car. Love these old race car parts. That's where our hot rod roots are. love to see these parts being used.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx much! Gary

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I set the body on yesterday, and made a profile template for the firewall. Once the firewall is in place and the driver side patch panel is welded and hammered, I can cut the slots for the rear radius rods. IMG_6968.JPG IMG_6969.JPG IMG_6970.JPG IMG_6972.JPG IMG_6971.JPG

5. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Oh yes, Marty! We haven't got candles yet, but this is like putting the frosting on the cake. Man, that looks good.
    I just called Anna in to see this, and her immediate response was an animated "Wow, that's so cool!" It's more than cool when your wife has that sort of opinion of your car project, yes?
    Marty, I knew I brought my car to the right place to be built. Your work is absolutely perfect. Oh wait, I didn't bring you anything, did I? You found this pristine body and hand-built all the rest. Thankyou. Big time.

Pat Ganahl

Just Gary, dumprat, Stovebolt and 8 others like this.
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

WOW! WOW! WOW!

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat, I am glad that you and Anna are happy with your car, you have been more that patient with me on this project. With it sitting on the floor and having the body on, I am relieved about the proportions of the car. To me most unique feature of the original car was the long hood, and the Ingels nose mounted ahead of the axle. From the face of the cowl to the front of the grille is going to be around 43-44 inches, which should render the long "skinny hood" look, that we are trying to achieve. Firewall coming up !

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Firewall is fitted in place, I used 18 ga Electro-Galvanized steel. Once it is bolted and welded in place, it will stiffen the cowl area, I can cut the tack welds loose and reveal the flip-up the hinged cowl piece. IMG_6973.JPG IMG_6974.JPG IMG_6975.JPG IMG_6976.JPG IMG_6978.JPG IMG_6981.JPG IMG_6982.JPG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great work!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I do love the look of a turtledeck T track roadster! Of course you're recreating one of the very best looking ones ever built.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Working late, I got the welding done on the LH patch panel. It's a slow process, I weld 3/4", a friend hammers it flat, and so on. Pat will do the final finish. IMG_6985.JPG IMG_6986.JPG IMG_6987.JPG

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  12. Man, that is nice. Pat, you sure did take the project to the right guy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Hi Marty; Talking to you at Riverdale sure got me reved up about my Roadster pickup !! think that might be my next project !! have been looking at Dean Lowe's truck on here for years ! it would HAVE to look like his, as it was PERFECTION !! Come up to the East V west Flathead run on the 17th , I'll make sure you have a Flathead to drive out there !! Chris

Dean Lowe likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Chris, I would love to come up to the Flathead run, but I have to concentrate on Pat's car. We do need to start on those 29 RP's this Winter, so we can hit the "Match Race" circuit, and that 14-71 blower of yours won't fit the rules ! Great visit at Riverdale, you have a couple of outstanding boys. Now back to the Spalding. I fabricated the 3/8 " aluminum adapters to fit the smaller A-1 shocks yesterday, when Pat procures another pair of the A-2's, it will be a simple swap. I crawled under the car and took a couple of shots of the firewall, to show how it meets the dash. It needs a little trimming on the sides, for a final fit. Next will be adding some weight in the proper places, to get the corner weights, so I can order the Torsion bars. IMG_6995.JPG IMG_6996.JPG IMG_6998.JPG IMG_7003.JPG IMG_7004.JPG

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got over another hurdle today, with the installation of the firewall. It is removable for painting purposes, just clecos for now but it will be bolted in with 10/32 machine screws. Also, I was able to clip the tack welds loose on the upper cowl, and the hinge works great, just like the original ! Now I can trim the rest of the flange off of the top body rail, hammer it over and skip weld it. IMG_7005.JPG IMG_7005.JPG IMG_7010.JPG IMG_7011.JPG IMG_7009.JPG IMG_7008.JPG IMG_7007.JPG

Attached Files:

1947knuck, brad2v, HEMI32 and 11 others like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

man, that's bitchin.
    [​IMG]

1947knuck, Drewfus, Stovebolt and 2 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I haven't been looking forward to making the body cutouts for the rear radius rods, but with some tin snips and a die grinder, here is the first one. Once the torsion bars are installed and the final ride height is established, there will be more trimming for proper clearance. IMG_7012.JPG IMG_7013.JPG IMG_7014.JPG

1947knuck, HEMI32, 41 coupe and 5 others like this.
  18. Don't know why you were dreading it Marty. Looks simple enough to me. ;)

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Marty
    I would never try to tell you how to do anything BUT I'll tell you how I did mine for the steering link. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. After the cutout and not as close as yours I tacked steel brake line tubing around the opening and then good ol Bondo.

Gary

DSCN2560.jpg

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    Don't you own a cutting torch? ;)

21. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

image.jpg Marty , awesome build ! I was lucky enough to find a body here in Australia! They are very rare as the Australian early t,s here were different and built locally. I will be copying many aspects of your t roadsters you have built . Thanks for posting

1947knuck, Stovebolt, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, I never thought of using my cutting torch, I thought a meat cleaver would do a nicer Job, hmm, I wounder where I could find one of those. Gary, I plan on adding some reinforcement to the openings on the inside, so as not to disturb the look on the outside. Asphalt Demon, That is quite find, make sure and do a build thread when you get started, I would like to follow the progress. How about some cockpit shots, and a 3/4 shot with the arms in place. I have some WW2 lap belts, I think one would look good for display purposes. IMG_7015.JPG IMG_7016.JPG IMG_7018.JPG

1947knuck, Tim, CW's40TPU and 7 others like this.
  23. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Amazing - such a well proportioned build.

Also great to see the rear suspension arms pivoting where the torque-tube pivots - engineering at its finest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mark, I just sat in it, and I am sure Pat will fit. The plus is the belly pan, the foot rests will be at least 10" below the top of the frame.

25. Love the lap belts. Kurtis had a stash of those and I ran one just like that in my 1/4 midget. Another one kept me in the Studebaker when I took it flying.

26. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Maybe i will Marty!I could use some help with references!....actuallly is there a track roadster thread?better do a search? chasing a turtle deck to replace the pickup bed as i type this from the U.S ,but I'm gunna try find the history out about the body first,just in case I'm butchering something of historical significance in OZ before i remove the pickup bed.I also have my eye on some 3/4 ton diffs for a traditional rear quickie .Johnny

27. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Maybe I should commit to finding a T body to suit the junk I have. If Pat can fit into this - anyone can.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

On the inside! DUH I never thought of that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  29. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scanning through this thread, I realize I had no clue what a jewel the original car was. I've always loved the stance and proportions but missed a lot of what was under the skin. Your project gives us a detailed look at what was an extremely well-built hot rod not only for the time but even today. Pat is right - he found the right guy.
    Thanks for letting us follow along.

slv63 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I hope that everyone reading this sees the attention to detail that Marty is giving this. It would be much easier for him to deviate from the original in order to expedite the build. The original was REALLY well done, but they didn't have to follow what someone else had done 60 years before. Quite a balancing act to say the least. Great job , Marty!!!!!

Drewfus, volvobrynk, brad2v and 3 others like this.