Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Odd reactions to your daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road Runner, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Man, I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing. I was ready to buy one once with visions of the Munster's car in my head but no body would sell me one.

2. Right now it's sitting in my yard under a tarp. My father and I have dreams of a Dragula but there's 6 other projects ahead in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wraymen likes this.
  3. and old men with deep pockets;)

4. spags

spags

These stories are awesome! Thank you all for sharing, it's been fun reading these between phone calls here at work.

5. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

When a younger person asks what model year my Edsel is I tell them that it's the same year that JFK was elected President. So the next question is usually interesting, like who is JFK or it's a 1983 model? Last month I was at a big cruise and a kid about 10 pointed to the curb feelers and asked his father what they were. His dad said that when the two metal pieces touch each other an alarm goes off inside the car to warn the driver not to hit the curb and he wasn't laughing so I guess he was serious. Another time some kid asked why my AM radio didn't have pushbuttons. When I told him the manual tune radio was $3.50 cheaper than one with pushbuttons (which is true) he gave me a shocked look and walked away shaking his head. There's more but you get the idea.... :D

brad2v, Bruce Fischer and jeffd1988 like this.
  6. LostBoy

LostBoy

I feel like if I had a hearse, I'd have to always keep a coffin in it. Always.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Lostboy.That would make disposing of idiot Prius drivers much easier:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

LostBoy likes this.
  8. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

sometimes driving an older car works against you........
    as stated earlier I drive my 46 ford pickup a lot and pretty well get used to people waving,giving thumbs up or flashing there lights....well I live 100 km's from the big smoke and driving home one sunny day with my wife , got the usual flash of the lights from an on coming car so gave a smile and a wave back and kept going......straight into a speed camera:oops::mad:

pat59 and clem like this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

It's not my daily driver, but I was putting gas in my 37 Chevy one nice Sunday morning, when a guy came over to chat. Old cars seem to draw people in. He asked what year is it, I told him it's a 37. Asked what brand, I told him Chevrolet. He gives me this funny look, says "oh, you're a Chevy guy, I can't talk to you", walks quickly away, jumps in a rusty Dodge something, and drives off.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer and Fedman like this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

As a rule, I don't believe in corporal punishment, but that "kid" needs a good beating, as does the "adult" excusing his behavior.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, Bruce Fischer and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Pulled into the mall one day, blower wheezing, straight pipes..shut it off, a kid walking by looks up from his phone long enough to ask "is that thing electric?". I replied no, he looked back down at his phone and kept walking.

PoRodder and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. Fedman

Fedman

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

A few summers ago a 72 Eldo convert was my daily, I sold it to buy my 59 Merc. Anyway, while waiting at a light a car pulls up with parents and their teenage girls. One of the girls says "Oh my God, that's the car from that movie!" She had no idea what the car actually was, but I didn't know what movie it was either. 72 Eldorado.JPG

Fedman likes this.
  14. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

I know what it is! cool truck! Most people don't know or care but motorcycle guys seem to love it, they always give a thumbs up. (took this pic in west texas driving it home from phoenix last summer) Truck.jpg

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Neil Young, early in his music career, drove a 1948 Buick Roadmaster hearse. The reason, was because he said it was much easier to load and unload guitar amplifiers and gear. His song "Long May You Run" describes the love he had for "Mort". Hm.

chriseakin and wraymen like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"Mort" that's funny.

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I'll get asked "Where's the front bumper for my car?" My reply is..."In the basement, where it belongs".

55 Chevy May 2011.jpg

The other day some guy thought my 59 GMC was a 1948 something. He also tried to tell me that they never made a truck box as long as mine. He got kinda pissed when I said that it was a 1959 GMC longbed stepside, and that there were many of them built.

59 GMC B.png

18. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

About the missing front bumper on Tri-five Chevies. When someone would ask my wife what happened to the bumper on our 57, she had a one word answer "Ron!". When a fellow club member asked me why I took off the bumper, I said: After much research, I found out the front bumper on 55, 56 and 57 chevies was an option. I then told him that after checking my 57's build sheet I found that it didn't come with one. I stated that it must have gone straight to being a Gasser. About an hour or so he came back and asked me if I was pulling his leg. You would not believe how many people (even tri-5 owners) believe me when I tell them about the bumper delete option.

If I ever get around to doing a window sticker, it will have the Gasser Package:
    Radio delete
    Heater delete
    Front bumper delete
    Carpet delete
    Auxiliary fuel tank (moon)
    Towing package (front brackets)
    And anything else I can think of and the build date will be April 1, 1957

Everyone enjoy the weekend and drive them hot rods and customs. No matter what odd comments we get when driving them, most people have a big smile on their face when they see our cars. Ron

49ratfink, volvobrynk, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  19. Not my daily driver, but one of my "fun" cars, I was putting gas in my OT almost stock '31 Ford 4 door one day when an old guy looking to be in his 80's or so came up, looked the car over one end to the other, inside and out. Throughout the whole time he never said a word. Finally, he turned around to me and said "The first piece of a** I ever got in my life was in the back seat of a Model "A" four door and I'll never forget it". He turned around and walked away never saying anything else.

20. Love my binders! Want to really get weird comments, drive a 1960 R190 while your daily is down. Long ago....-MIKE :D
    70-IH.jpg
    1960 IH -R190 DUMP.jpg

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Those are some nice looking trucks man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOST ANGEL and volvobrynk like this.
  22. jroberts

jroberts

I think that "Not Yet Rated" has a good point. When we drive our old cars and trucks around we do represent all the folks that do the same thing. So I try to be as polite and understanding as I can when people do and say the weird things they often do.
    I was driving my '61 Studebaker Champ (see avatar) when at a stoplight a guy shouted out that he didn't know Rambler made trucks. I thought it was particularly funny since it has a stock tailgate that has STUDEBAKER across it in big capital letters. I just said that it is a Studebaker not a Rambler and we both laughed.
    I think most Studebaker folks with a Stude 289 get asked about the engine being a Ford engine, but the weirdest engine comment was when I was getting the truck's annual inspection (this was before NC stopped inspecting older vehicles) and the "mechanic" insisted on seeing the engine (not a requirement by state law. I think it was because I told him I would turn the knobs and stuff since he tried to dim the headlights by pulling on the turn signal lever, but that is a different story.) He insisted that not only was it a Ford motor but a Ford "big block" engine. I told him no, but he kept on until asked him where the Ford distributor was located. Of course "they changed it to make the engine fit". Maybe he was thinking of a Y-block Ford, but I doubt he even knew what one of them is. Yes, I did speak to the owner of the station the next time was saw him.
    It is hard to be nice sometimes......but I try.

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  23. jroberts

jroberts

You are a good man! Best PR move ever.

24. jroberts

jroberts

Yep, I get that with both of my Studebakers. It doesn't bother me much except when I am a parts store and the guy/gal looking for parts asks the same question.

25. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

In my GT, I get Nice Studebaker a lot, occasionally they'll say Valiant or Dart, or they'll just ask what it is. One thought it was a Volvo. Only a handful have recognized it as a Lancer. In 15 years I haven't seen another one around here so I can't blame them. Nice wagon btw.

26. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

In South Africa, they're badged as a DeSoto Rebel

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

I'd only had Molly (the previously mentioned Lancer) a few months at the time and was about to go on a road trip so I went to a tune-up shop to get her oil changed and fluids checked. I parked in the back, checked in at the desk and went out front to smoke. A few minutes later I hear an engine revving, then again. Curious, I walk around the building to see what's up. It's my car. I walk up and the "mechanic" asks me "how do you shift it?" I showed him how the pushbuttons worked. He'd never seen them before.

jhammer, brad2v and Thaplumbr like this.
  28. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

maybe...it's the years without a feature in a magazine , short of John Dianna trying to make a turd run, or having to wait for ordered parts when we used to have to go to parts stores for parts. But I can appreciate almost* any brand ( a friend today waxed poetic about a *Renault Dauphine he had 30 + years ago. I damn near spit up my coffee. I would still be driving a 65 Impala SS if that backwoods doofus had have sold it to me in 73. Or a 67 Ford Fairlane 500 if I didn't hit the side of a brand new 73 Cutlass with the Fairlane my dad bought me a month after my 65 Impala 4 door got totaled.(that's why I wanted the 65 SS Impala, it was the same color as the 4 door but oh so much sweeter lookin) But when the drunk asshole pushed my 62 4 dr ex -Navy Plymouth Belvedere car down a ravine 2 days after he told me he'd help me get it running, it turned a gear in my head and I started working on my own cars. BTW, I've asked around, and no one in the mopar secret society rides around in a college minivan throwing sodas at cars. We'd do worse than just cast him out. I also work on Studebakers and wish the one in my shop had been left with the 327 instead of the 440 that's in it now. A friend's car, he saw a Cad engine in a stude at a show and he figured if a 500 inch cad would fit in it.

29. flypa38

flypa38

My 56 Pontiac isn't my daily driver right now, but gets driven quote a bit. It never fails.....at a red light someone beside me rolls down their window and yells "what year is your '57 Chevy?". Just let that sink in for a second........This has actually happened quite a few times.

shawnsauto1 and brad2v like this.
  30. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

26T coupe. I get all the usual questions. A lot of thumbs up, etc. etc. The most fun is to see the looks on their faces when I pass them on the highway. I'm thinking " you have just joined an elite club, people who have been passed by a model T"!! The T has been my DD for over 2 years now. I drive it so much once in a while I see somebody staring and think "what the fuck are YOU looking at?