Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joe Cruces: post what you know

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Brian Eissler

Brian Eissler

I grew up next door to Joe and his wife, grew up with his kids and even worked for Joe part time at his shop while in High school. I learned a lot from Joe, his attention to detail is phenomenal and one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to know. Not only are his cars great but so is he, Just recently my step dad passed away and we had to clean out the house Joe and his wife came over and helped us I can not say it enough or in any words except thank you!!!

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Wow, I didn't know he did the teeth Corvette too! It was nice otherwise, Rod. Sounds like a great guy to know and I'm glad he's still at it!

3. Deucehi

Deucehi

Here another of Joes csrs. Still in Vacaville,Ca

4. 2Loose

2Loose

Just ran across this thread...
    I grew up in Vacaville, class of '59 at Vaca High...
    Knew both Joe and his wife in high school, and fell in love with the "Tall T"
    when I first saw it...
    Moved to Hawaii for work in the mid sixties so lost track of Joe for awhile,
    then started seeing some of his work in magazines, so knew he was still at it!
    I've never lost my love of custom and hot rod cars and trucks, there were a lot of us like that when I was growing up in Vacaville, it must have been something in the air, maybe from the local onion and garlic dehydrator??
    Aloha from Maui,
    Willy

5. banginona40

banginona40

I said hello to Joe at the Home Depot just the other day. He seemed great and must have been working on something!

6. Deucehi

Deucehi

another of Joe's customs

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I got a hint that Joe's tall T had been sold, recall some pics of it rolling out of its 'shed', where it had been stored for years.
    Will the present owner please let us know what the present condition is, and
    1. Will it regain its flathead?
    2. Might it get another SBC like it had been retroed with in the mid '60s?
    Inquiring minds... This was a remarkable car, thrilling whenever it was shown. Saw it in traffic once years ago, up North...(Chico, IIRC) Thrilling!

Sancho likes this.
  8. Pinstriper40 and lurker mick like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since this has been brought up again, here's my story. My co-worker Harry told me that years ago, he was vacationing in northern California where he found a 1933 Dodge pickup. He brought it over to Joe's shop to be restored. A year later he returned to find it all finished and it is a beauty. Joe told Harry about someone who was interested in it so Harry sold it and made money without any work on his part. Harry had a picture of the Crucifier body minus the chassis covered with dust. That was a great looking show car. Does he still have it?

10. Rich Cornelius

Rich Cornelius

I have known Joe since he and Linda moved their family to Chico and I’m sorry to pass along that his beautiful home and shop were destroyed in the “Camp” fire last month. I think besides he and Linda being safe they managed to get 1 car out. I believe the Crucifier body that he had kept all these years may have been destroyed along with their endless collectibles and photos.

11. GuyW

GuyW

The car is still badass with the injected SBC...

BTW, it looks like the exhaust pipes come forward and wrap around the frame before going rearward (chrome U's on each side of radiator shell)

12. Miles12345

Miles12345

13. verde742

verde742

we are "waiting"

14. 2Loose

2Loose

When I read about those fires, I wondered if it affected Joe and Linda, I was deeply sorry to hear the bad news, but glad that they were not personally harmed. Many thanks for the updates, it means a lot....
    Willy P