Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Odd reactions to your daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road Runner, Aug 29, 2016.

1. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yep, you seem to get the same treatment I do. For as many people that admire old cars, there are always the jealous, and the haters.

What annoys me is when just about everyone in their douche canoes has to try to race me, or the ccasional nice "r@t r*d" comment even though I'm driving a '50s car with gloss paint.

Overall I get mixed reactions, usually the uneducated asking questions, they've all gotta learn somewhere, sometime I guess.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

3. I love people on the street when they ask the "what is it" question about my Ford. I told one it was a '48 Studebaker with fluid drive, he was happy.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  4. Ron, I know that's got to be true .You cant make that stuff up. I have the law follow me some times. LOL. Bruce. 001.JPG

Ron Brown likes this.
  5. I was at a local speed shop a few months ago picking up a few things. Upon leaving I see a very nice '70-ish Challenger parked outside. The owner comes out and starts getting into it, I ask him if it was an AMC Javelin... the look on his face...

6. I get the "I'll show off to my gal by trying to race this old bomb in my new shiny $50K turdbox" asshats. When you don't "bite" at their bait, they get really pissed off.
    Or the poor saps who are in the passenger seat and are checking out your car, and by the look on their Gal's face are getting the "don't even THINK of buying an old car like that or I'm gone!" lecture.
    Usually I just get a"thumbs up'" from toothless tramps .

Ron Brown and cretin like this.
  7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Middle aged women in PT Cruisers and what ever that GMC panel thing is wave at me as if we are on the same page..... CHIEF POCATELLO 2016 014.JPG

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Lots of people seem to think that just because they want to buy it, You HAVE to sell it to them. They really dont want to pay what its worth, they seem to think you are an ignorant bumpkin and they believe you will sell it to them for very little money then they will sell it for a huge profit.

I was driving my 57 chevy wagon and a guy at the red light wanted to know if it was a Hearse! I asked his age. 19, so I was nice to him.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I was at the toll booth in my old beat up Corvette, when in the next lane was a new Viper, when I drop my coins into the basket, the Viper took off like a rocket. I pulled into a gas station and there was the Viper filling up. I threw in a few bucks of petro and headed in to pay, with the Viper guy right behind me. Waiting in line the Viper guy makes several comments about how slow Corvettes can be, loud enough for everyone in the station to hear. When I get up to pay, the kid at the cash register remarks, that there are several girls hanging around my old Corvette. I turn to the Viper guy and said, I own a Corvette for the women, not to spend money on gas.

10. I've already had 2 people wanting to buy my Ford, one a guy my age wanted to know what I had in it right now.. if I wanted to sell it. Not for sale buddy. Another was this older German couple who spent a lot of time looking the car over at a cruise night, again I told them I was still sorting the car out and was not thinking of selling it.

11. el shad

el shad

Nothing major here that most of you fellers haven't experienced. Just the usual bras shot at me like rubber bands, and the occasional soaking wet pair of panties. Guess they want me to use 'em to wash my truck like a shammy perhaps??

Either way these unruly gals throwing their undergarments at me while driving is definitely a safety concern. I keep my windows up, and a fresh set of wipers on.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  12. ^Don't get too excited, everybody's underwear is soaking wet in Arizona this time of year.;)

pat59, CowboyTed, 29bowtie and 7 others like this.
  13. el shad

el shad

Holy shit that just made me laugh! damnit you are so very correct!

This explains that funky smell....................

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Old couple asked if they could pose for a picture next to the "0" Henry,
    i said yes , and asked why, he said they drove one on there honeymoon
    it was their first car as a couple.(yes i took the picture for them)
    I offered to let them DRIVE it they politely declined.
    :cool:
    And MORE often than NOT the question is -- is it a studebaker:rolleyes:
    or
    just plain ol WHAT is it
    -n-
    sometimes people think its FOREIGN...LOL

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

So I'm coming out of the 7-11 and there are 2 20-something guys standing in front of my Coupe. As I walk up to open the door, one guy says "Is that one of them old Mustangs"?

Glenn A Coupe.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I walked out of a local parts store years ago to my T-bucket (Merc Flatty, T5, bias plies) and there's an elderly man checking it out pretty thoroughly. We get talking and I ask if he wants to go for a ride....Hell Yes! We take off down the road, leaving rubber in 3 gears....make a turn into a parking lot. I shut it down, get out and tell him it's his turn. He hopped in the driver's seat as I told him drive it like I did. I bet he's still grinning ear to ear!!

And then there's the Shoebox with the gas filler in the trunk.....'Is that really where the gas goes?'
    Man, I sure hope so!

17. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Just now outside of the grocery store... guys says, "That truck would look great restored!" All I could think about was this thread so I just laughed, I think the guy was po'd , but that's his gig not mine!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. I was driving with my 3 year old daughter in my O/T trike (which was my daily driver at the time) and we were passed by a college minibus. The guys in the back opened the windows and told me my car was shite and I was a wanker. I ignored them and drove on. As I overtook them a couple of miles later, one of them threw a full unopened coke can at my daughter. It hit the little door and caused a lot of damage but fortunately my daughter was uninjured.

I pulled in front of them and forced them to stop. I told the college tutor what had happened and he said "they're only kids". Bollocks, they were all in their early twenties and if you can't work out that throwing a full coke can at a toddler when travelling at 70mph is dangerous you need to be locked up.

Sadly not unusual. I get spat on, sworn at and have things thrown at me. Most common comment is "you've lost a wheel mate". My response is that you have one too many.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and Gary Reynolds like this.
  19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Lots of people ask if I'm going to restore mine. I look shocked and say, "No way! That would be going backwards!" They look confused. One guy asked what color I was going to paint my flat black (finish paint) 39 Ford. I asked, "Dont you think black is a color?' "But thats primer" Nope, its flat black finish paint

Landmule and volvobrynk like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One time a couple of guys were walking past the rear of my 56 Victoria. One a asked if I minded him showing his friend where the gas went, a little puzzled I said OK. After a minute of him pressing of both the right and left reflector over the back-up lights he asked what was wrong and did I have it locked. I bend down a tipped the license plate showing the gas cap. He hung his head and walked away, his buddy looked at me with smile and smiled back. I wish I would have filmed it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Too bad man, I dig that crazy looking contraption!

22. Just the other week I was pulling up to my local drinking establishment to pick up a friend and maybe a few in the truck bed and a fairly attractive girl runs up and says " that's a really nice studebaker!" I was just shocked she knew what a studebaker was...even though I drive a ford...

Let's see....another time the taxi company Uber was holding a promotion where you get picked up in an old car, had someone run up and ask if I was their Uber.

Another time, another girl "you drove that here?"

Or the other week at a stop light

Her: "Nice truck!
    Me: "thanks!"
    Her: "I'm Rachel, come visit me at...."

I guess this thing is good for picking up chicks. They always told me hot rods were for getting rid of them! Haha

I have so many of these. It pays to drive a old car daily.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29bowtie, Merge, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  23. Well that just plain sucks. I thought that kind of crap only happens here in the US (Rare but does happen). I never would have guessed that to be acceptable behavior across the pond.
    I like the trike.

clunker likes this.
  24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

But it is. Just not in a smarmy way.

25. Blackjack.Kids have no respect today.I would of got my ass whooped by my dad if he heard that!!!!!Bruce.

117harv likes this.
  26. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No kiddin....one of my favorite stories to tell....usually Im a magnet for tickets, though in my later years I have really toned down my driving style Ron

27. Wraymen, here to this summer in East T.N. Bruce.

wraymen likes this.
  28. I second wraymen's comments, takes a real piece of shit to throw something that could hit a kid like that. That makes me angry, and I've got little kids too, so it hits home.

I used to live in Los Angeles, and for most of the 90's I daily drove an old beat up 57 Ranchero. I loved that car. One day as I was heading south on Sunset, this surfer hippy dude started crossing the walk right as I got there, not enough time for me to even slow down, so I kept going and he had to stop walking. If I had tried to brake, I probably would have hit him. He was drinking an extra large orange drink in a paper cup. He threw it at my car and it exploded all over my windshield. I was so mad, I just pulled it half way up onto the curb, shut it down, jumped out and started running toward him. He was surprised and started running up a cross street up a hill. He was yelling "I'm sorry, dude! I didn't mean it man, I'm sorry!" I said nothing and kept chasing him. He finally stopped and we were circling this little car, every time I made a move left, he broke right, we were at a stand still, he was pleading, but I still said nothing. He was trying to reason with me "I'll clean it off, man! Calm down, dude!" Now, I'm not a brawny guy, but he could tell I was pissed. There was a little Korean guy watering his lawn there, and he started spraying us with his garden hose, "You boys no-fight! You boys no-fight!" I was getting really wet, and the situation turned sort of comical, so I used and explicative and walked back down the hill, leaving him there, didn't touch him. He had a tie died shirt, Birkenstocks and a pony tail but got no love from me that day.

29. I get the "Are you restoring it?" question about once a month, usually at a gas station while I'm taking 10 minutes to put 8 gallons of fuel in my 63 Falcon.

[​IMG]

My reply is always the same, "No, I'm having way too much fun vandalizing it!"

Posted with an IBM Selectric

30. LOL.Bruce.