Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mistake with semi-gloss clear coat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldandSloe, Aug 30, 2016.

1. OldandSloe

OldandSloe

Hey Gang,
    Newbie and need some advice. Sprayed my multicolored and patina'd truck with clear, semi-gloss sheen. Great that it brought the colors out, but the truck is too shiny. Is there a cheaper and quicker fix other than re-sand and respray with flat clear? image.jpeg

2. Go over it with a green scrungie?

3. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

Scuff it with a brown paper bag, experiment to see how it works for you.

4. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Why not just scuff it?

5. clem

clem

Give it a proper paint job to match those nicely painted wheels !
    It looks like it deserves a decent paint job.

BJR, lurker mick, colordeluxe and 2 others like this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When was it shot? We did a satin clear roof and it took several days to lose the shine it dried with. That was a catalyzed clear with flattening agent added.

7. zombiecat

zombiecat

If you're considering putting a flat clear on it, I'd say just sand or scuff it down like you would before repainting and see what you think. It just might be what you're looking for and you would save a little money.

8. putz

putz
    from wisc.

painted several , always used a ... Gray ... scotch brite , the older the better .

9. I've used steel wool to knock down a shine...................
    Never tried a paper bag but sounds interesting.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let my wife drive it for a couple of years. I bought her a new Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years ago, it has a nice low sheen patina accenting the door dings and depressions already. She could do wonders for your truck.

On a serious note, I clear coated my home's wood front door last weekend. Too much sheen so I knocked it down with some 000 steel wool that I lubricated with some car detail spray without silicone that I buy at a paint house.

Came out looking like my wife's Cherokee.

clem likes this.
  11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Like said, let it flash out plenty. Did the clear have flattener in it, or stuff you added.
    Recently helped a friend shoot is tuck with flat clear, after 2 coats and not knowing why it went on like crap we realized it needed stirred like crazy.

Get some old fashioned comet cleaner and a sponge and give it a good scrub, that took the gloss out of an old paint job I was trying to kill the gloss on.

12. OldandSloe

OldandSloe

Thanks all. No adders to the clear and done by a paint shop several months ago.
    I tried steel wool (dry) and it made the clear look cloudy. I will try all of the above and report back. Thanks for your time...I appreciate it!