Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods >>>1935 Ford Coupe The Wizard....Saying Goodbye<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Aug 23, 2016.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well I had said time after time that you'd have to pry my '35 from my cold dead hands but after much deliberation I have to let it go.... It's not an easy decision but I think it's a necessary one so I thought I'd start a thread on me buttoning things up and tying up loose ends since my last update on the car a few years ago.

This car really has been such a fun car to drive and despite me initially battling an ill charging generator for 109 weeks before switching over to a POWERGEN, it's done really well. Only time it's left me on side of the rode was to running out of gas which I usually do a few times a year.

I'm not exactly sure where I left off the last update here's a little rundown of the car.

1935 Ford Coupe
    1956 265 Chevy Engine
    '57 Heads, 097 Duntov Solid Lifter Cam
    Weiand 4x2 intake with Original restored 97's
    Hildebrandt VC's
    '39 Ford Trans, Offy Adapter
    '39 Ford Rear with posies spring, Original '35 Dropped dropped front axle
    Chromed PowerGen
    4" Widefives (back) 3.5" Widefives (front)
    Rolled and Pleated Interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So around the fall time last year we decided we probably should sell one of our cars to lighten a load that my brain surgery and disorder kinda piled up. But really it was that coupled with the fact that the '35 isn't suiting my family with 2 kids the way I would like. I have a '54 Chevy that I have been stashing for 10 years almost and it's about time I put that in a place where I can work on it. So with that being said the decision to sell the '35 was made and I decided I wanted to go ahead work out any issues I might have thought it had. Things as simple as the old paint being buffed out so it shined up to cleaning the underside and re torquing all the bolts. There's an oil leak that needs to be addressed and some final tuning after I borrowed two carbs last year to run my '33 at the Race of Gents.

I thought I would start this thread as I go through buttoning up the car in hopes that it finds a new appreciative owner. So it will only take a week or two more to finish what I have but I thought since I haven't started thread in a few years it would be fun. So far I've done the following with selling the car in mind...

1. Rejetted and PV'd the 4 carbs to lean out it some.
    2. New braided red Fuel Lines on the Carbs
    3. Reset Linkage so it now runs direct instead of progressive
    4. Buffed and waxed paint
    5. Cleaned underside of car
    6. Cleaned engine bay
    7. polished frog mouths
    8. New gasket on the fuel sending unit
    9. Installed Dash Map Lights (need to be wired)
    10. Hood Latches

More to come....

Attached Files:

2. Muttley

Muttley

Wow, I can't believe you're letting go of that car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know... Man it's been real heavy making that decision. It's either it or my 33 and my 33 is ultimately what I always wanted but also not in a position to be sold with chop half done etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I wish I could buy it to keep it in the family babe!

6. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll still trade you my manifold/carb for your manifold/carbs... Also, I'm sorry that I gave you that generator that gave you so many problems (although it was "running when parked") :) I do hope you get what you believe its worth - it's a great car.

vic

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm almost positive it was because I got it chromed by the crackhead.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

[​IMG]

Pic from when my friend Matt was helping me buff it a few months ago....

9. Do you have a buyer yet??

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never easy to see things off you hold close to your left upper coverall pocket but it is a reality we are all going to experience sooner or later.
    You have many valid reasons. I know what I would do with it were I to purchase it...drive it with a smile. You'll know who to let carry the torch...
    Whats even better is your upgrading it even more for the next recipient...Class act that is.
    Its nice you have something else car wise and your family to pacify losing this one.
    So I hope your better and keep on posting pics and stories.
    Stogy

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  11. Someone will end up with an iconic hot rod.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

No so that's a good point, maybe it nobody will want it! We'll see!

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes I think I'm better! Still lots of issues associated with my health but doing good! Thanks everyone!

Stogy likes this.
  14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best of luck J. J. ........ I know it's a tough decision. Hope you get your health straightened out.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That is one beautiful car, best wishes moving forward.

16. I love the coupe and I'm really a '33-'34 guy!

17. I love that car! and I covet those valve covers and intake. But im in the same boat, I cant take my kids anywhere in the roadster with me, so now all I have is sedans and the roadster my dad and I built... but still Wish I could come up with the bucks to buy that one! Its so much more fun riding around with my boys so its a good trade off. Wish I could talk you into trading for my 39 Tudor and my 51, but I know those two together are not worth what that car is. It's perfect!

18. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Hey, you don't know me from Adam, but I want to say I've been though your threads on this car several times as I've planned and gathered for my '35 project. I've kept this car in mind as a reminder that I'm walking the holy path and all this effort and scrounging is worth it. Thank you for sharing. Best of luck with the sale.

19. belair

belair

I hope your health improves. Life gets in the way of our plans, doesn't it? I think stuff is meant to be used for life's sake, not vice versa. Good call on your part. What a great little car. But it has been my experience you can't keep them all forever. How did you like the Powergen? I think I am going to need one soon.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man thanks!! Yeah I can say it will totally be worth it. This car is the best driving old car I've ever rode in and seeing how I this was the first one under my belt, there's no reason you can't get same results. It's totally worth it man!!!!

Nailhead Jason and lewk like this.
  21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My Heath is probably the best it's ever been. What I have has always been there I just didn't know it. I had brain surgery and now the doc's say it'll just take a few years for nerves to recover if they are going to but I feel blessed to be where I am today physically... None the less, I have an obligation to my family to get back on track financially after all the MRI's etc so it's gotta go even though I'd rather keep it.

Powergen? Best thing I ever bought. I fought that generator so hard. 3 rebuilds, 3 regulators, constant removal of battery so I could put it on a charger at night. Put the Powergen on and never checked the voltage again 2 years later... Works like a charm!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Worked on the car some this weekend. One of the door latch springs was misaligned so I fixed that and it opens and closes nicely again.

The car really needs new side glass and felts etc but I doubt that I'll get around to that. I replaced the quarter side glass a few years ago but the glass in the doors needs to be changed out and the felts replaced. Not a big deal for someone that wants a weekend project I just don't know if I have time to do it. I might gather together a parts list to do it and weigh the options if I can.

Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can't stop the oil leak I believe to be coming from the gauge fitting in the block. Maybe wash it and get it ready to take some pics this week so I can list it next??

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Little video of it running a couple weeks ago after rejetting and adjusting linkage.

flat 39 and lewk like this.
  24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

[​IMG]

Spent Sunday futzing with a few things and ended up driving it around for an Hr trying to get lost. I didn't get lost but I had a bunch of fun so chalk that up as a win.

Then yesterday I replaced the bulbs with 12v which I neglected to do until now and I forgot how much I love seeing it all lit up! I got map lights working too which was needed.

[​IMG]

heavydumper, Paul B and kiwijeff like this.
  25. Such a bummer to see it go, but as you said, family comes first. Good on ya for making the right decision.

On a side note, glad to hear you're doing well. I didn't know you had some health issues, but I had noticed a while back that your posting had dropped off. I wondered what had happened.

26. Someone's going to get a great Hot Rod.
    Always sad to see cars go, but always cool to get new toys.
    Good luck with the sale.

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Very KOOL Car !, Understand your situation and your feelings on selling it, some lucky guy is going to get a nice ride. Good Luck with your health and wish you the best.

28. titus

titus

theres always another, which you have already!

29. Great car, but kudos you for putting family first! I'll spread the word around here!

Hope to get down there soon...

30. @JeffreyJames Are you brining this to the Old North State show next week? I'd love to see this in person. If I had the bucks I would be trying to buy it now.