Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shell V Power Premium-is it cut with ethanol too?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Aug 28, 2016.

1. no55mad

no55mad

Does anyone know if this gasoline has less ethanol than most other grades? Thanks for your expertise as the information seems hard to find.

willumbilt likes this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

All the same, especially in CA.
    It's not a big deal...as of the current percentage. If/when it goes to 85 (E85), then fuel tanks all the way to the carburetor or current fuel injectors will need an additive to stay clean/one piece. Or a coating of some sort to keep from being eaten alive..!

Mike

willumbilt likes this.
  3. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

How to find non-ethanol gas for your classic car in your state:

http://pure-gas.org/

Click your state, scroll to your city.

robracer1 and 302GMC like this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Just saw a simple test for deathanol in the fuel - cheap food coloring ...

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Explain, please.

Ray

6. Never2low

Never2low

Take a small amount of gas and add a couple drops of food coloring to it.
    If the food coloring stays separate, like little round drops at the bottom, it's pure gas.
    If the drops assimilate, it's got Ethanol.

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I didn't know you could buy pure gasoline anywhere in the states today. We have had 10-15% ethanol here in Phoenix for the better part of 15 years now exclusively. They used to switch back and forth as "winter gas" and "summer gas", and that was always a giant pain in the ass, but running ethanol isn't that big a deal. New soft line, keep your filter changed, and get an alcohol friendly accelerator pump diaphragm.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I've really never noticed any problems with it. Being in AZ, we can drive our cars year round. I think the main problem is folks let their cars sit for six months, and alcohol is a bit worse for that situation.

Barn Find likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Exactly.!

(but a LOT worse, not just a bit)

Ray

10. squirrel

squirrel

It's only a bit worse, here in AZ. I expect it might be a lot worse up there where there is moisture in the air, eh?

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think high humidity has a lot to do with the severity of the problems caused by ethanol, as ethanol will absorb water to the point it finally enters "phase separation", drops out of mixture with the gasoline and becomes a very acidic and corrosive agent. Both time and humidity enter into the equation, as well as percentage of ethanol.
    Here in GA, pure gas is available, and called "recreational gasoline" . However it is much more expensive, and the octane level is 3 points below the pump "premium @93. Premium here is now really 90 octane with the other 3 points coming from the etahanol added.
    I use the pure gas for small engines such as mowers, generators, etc, with Stabil added to it. The 2013 Fusion DD gets ethanol, the truck is a diesel, and both the roadster and coupe get ethanol with a heavy dose of the new Stabil 360* additive, which seems to be working out so far.

12. I expect the V-power has the same alcohol content but more additives for the injectors, etc. Western Refining in Albuquerque has two big tanks right there at their distribution center - one for gasoline and one for alcohol - it gets mixed going into the tanker, making me wonder what we're really getting. There is a Phillips 66 station here in Taos that has premium gas with no alcohol - it's 93 octane if I remember. The price fluctates some, but has gotten up into the VP racing gas range a few times. I may end up using VP in the coupe if it starts seeing a lot of garage time, hopefully keeping the vintage 97s in better shape than letting the alcohol sit in there.

13. squirrel

squirrel

or you could do like the alcohol racers, and drain it when you park it.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Keep the tank topped off, and away from wide temperature swings helps a bunch. A partially empty tank acts as a "bellows" and draws in moisture laden air. It condenses on the tank walls. A surprising amount of water can accumulate this way. Ethanol is hygroscopic and soaks it right up. Here's a way to tell if there are corn squeezins in the juice. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1472489566.029062.jpg

willumbilt likes this.
  15. 26Troadster

26Troadster

people who lived around the big citys have run it in the summer time since the mid 70's, now it is year round everywhere. i still by pure gas for my mower and chain saw.

16. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

17. no55mad

no55mad

I was @ a Shell today to try some of the V Power plus premium in a Whizzer motor bike. There was a tanker there so I asked the driver if this grade had the ethanol and he said yes, it's required by law for motor vehicles traveling on public roads. The big plus for this Shell grade is the additives which Shell claims does wonderous things.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

no55mad, I see you're in CA, and I don't know if the pure, non ethanol gas is available there, but that is one application (Whizzer motor bike)that I would for sure use it if you can find it.
    Take a look at the links posted above.

19. Slow down

Slow down

Just did the water test on gasoline I purchased at an on reserve station, no ethanol and 60 cents a gallon cheaper than in town . Worth the 10 minute drive .

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No non-ethanol gas in CA, at the pump.

I put a phenolic spacer under the carburetors, some fluroelastomer soft lines, and never looked back.

I think that you guys that are claiming other issues are blaming the wrong thing.

I cannot be having zero issues with over 350,000 vintage miles, on two and 4-wheels, traveled since we did away with MTBE if the fuel has problems.

21. squirrel

squirrel

The temperature doesn't change much on the California coast...as noted, the daily temp swing has a lot to do with how much moisture a vented gas tank will collect inside.

But yeah, it is strange hearing all the horror stories, and not having any problems yourself.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40º is not a big daily temp swing?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is even before the sun went down.