Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Station wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Aug 23, 2016.

1. brad2v

brad2v

I definitely remember when wagons and more-doors were very uncool. Now I own one of each, and have owned a '59 Ford wagon. Even now, I'm never going to tell anyone my Dart wagon is cool, and it's damn ugly. But it's a fantastic daily driver/lumber yard mule. I have to stop driving it long enough to get it all one color one day I guess. Dart 0914 006_opt.jpg

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wagons were NEVER not cool. It's just that more people had poor taste back in the day and slowly they are being recalibrated. Some just take more training than others. ;)

Hnstray and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I doubt it. I also doubt that minivans are cool.

4. Not yet rated

Not yet rated

5. Not yet rated

Not yet rated

Okay here's my mighty fine forty nine. Merc flathead, 3 speed overdrive, & some speed equipment. Never raced!

6. That's REAL nice Ron! Bruce.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

This one is getting awfully close to being a runner! temp (2).jpg temp (3).jpg

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

4 doors still arent cool, Jim Gorman notwithstanding...

blowby and upspirate like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Give it time Jim. Any day now, I expect to see one satin black with pinstriping and red wheels...and the owner will be calling us a bunch of elitist assholes and telling us how "traditional" it is...:confused::p

brad2v and Sauli like this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Honestly, I kinda wish wagons were STILL uncool. I can remember when you could buy a clean '66/'67 chevelle wagon for $500.:(
    Wagons were always considered wierd cool in my crowd, but we were a fringe element. Chalk it up to all those late sixties Jr stockers and 50/50 wieght distribution.

11. upspirate

upspirate

Wish I could convince my wife about 4 drs not being kool, she's just not into rods or customs much anyway

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

George
    A friend of mine had a 4 speed 67 Malibu wagon, all original L79 car, I drove it and let me tell you, it was anything but "uncool".

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. My dad always had wagons, '55 Chevy, '59 Ford, '59 Chevy, a '64 Country Sedan and a '68 Impala.

The '68 Impala had a 327/275 in it and a TH400. It was pretty fast and got drag raced a few times. I busted a driver side motor mount one night, jammed the gas wide open and pulled the hose out of the brake booster. Talk about a huge pucker factor getting that stopped...

14. triman62

triman62

My wife had a 69 Chevy Concours wagon, cool now ,not so much in 1979. I remember working on a friends V8 Vega when she pulled up and honked with a full load of neighborhood kids, and even the dog was hanging out the window. I got a lot of teasing from my buddies so it got traded off real quick. I kind of regretted that, so I just recently bought a 58 Brookwood for her grocery getter. I wanted to do a 58 elcamino so I got me one too. IMG953629.jpg

Deuces, Puka, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Been around old cars all my life and have made it a special point to be, and study them somewhat etc but never knew any of the old malibu/chevelle wagons were called concours. I remember my uncle having a 77ish concours nova but never knew about the wags. I saw a 69 wagon at a cruise last night It could have been a concours but would never have known or thought about looking at the badging for that insignia. Thanks for sharing, I learned something new today.
    Also I like the 58s and maybe cool enough for us guys to drive now if they ran but looks like youve got some work to do before you will be proud to see your wife pull up in one loaded down with kids and the dog;)....:D

triman62 likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Think the concours wagon was a b-body, not an a-body??

triman62 likes this.
  17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn, the Vega mention above just reminded me that I was a wagon man for a short while, mid 70s....fuzzy times that they were.:eek:

Deuces and triman62 like this.
  18. papajohn

papajohn

I had my first wagon, 1960 chevy Brookwood, in 1985 when I was 17.
    I thought it was cool, everyone else in school thought it was a hearse.

cfmvw and low budget like this.
  19. cfmvw

cfmvw

A friend of mine had a mid-Sixties Cadillac hearse some years back; his license plate said NO BODY.

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. I've had several over the years, worst was a 69 Chevelle, weirdest was a 67 AMC Mariner. I actually liked it's blue exterior with white fake teakwood
    , plus the usual reclining seats etc, PLUS little anchors for trim!
    Best in our family was the 60 Plymouth 9 passenger and AWESOME was my Dad's 63 Pontiac Catalina 389! "THE CHIEF", a fantastic car! I'd love to have one!!!

21. das858

das858

20151109_130658.jpg downloadfile.jpeg I just used my wagon to tow our dragster to the H.A.M.B. drags and back last weekend. First long distance tow for it (400 miles each way) it passed with flying colors. On the way home we stopped for gas and a 1951 plymouth wagon pulled in to see the dragster, then a couple pulled in with a 1966 Chrysler wagon, we had our own little wagon car show.

Attached Files:

Deuces, quick85, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  22. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I traded into a 67 Chevelle Concours wagon. It was a high option car with a 327/275 out of New Mexico. It looked good when I traded an old Mazda for it, but someone had taken the roof rack off and put shower plugs in the holes. Water got into the insulation under the headliner and the car rusted in places I've never seen a car rust in before or since.

I've owned a 64 Nova wagon for the past 18 years. It's outlasted a lot of other cars that have come and gone in that time period. You can't beat it for reliability, ease of maintenance, and hauling all your stuff for a weekend car show.

Deuces likes this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Doh!:D

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That is gorgeous!!

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

39845_1356689204818_8130170_n.jpg I still have my '55, but haven't really done anything to it since the Pileup days. It's currently filled to the headliner with stuff while we are in the process of moving.

41 GMC K-18, Deuces, MO_JUNK and 6 others like this.
  27. Lol... that's good. I came VERY close to buying a '62 Caddy hearse when I was 19, we called them Cadaverllacs. Had the $600 in my hand too, I was probably wisely talked out of it by family and friends.

Bruce Fischer, cfmvw and falcongeorge like this.
  28. IMG_1611rs.JPG ......another station wagon thread? OK here's another picture of mine......

Deuces, Dangerousdan and MO_JUNK like this.
  29. LowBro

LowBro

Technically VW Bus's are minivans and they're bringing insane money now!

2935ford likes this.