Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 ford truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slamdpup, Aug 27, 2016.

1. slamdpup

slamdpup

Please school me on lowering a 40 ford truck without spending and money.here is the truck.i like the stance if the way it is but it was channeled 10 " without the suspension being lowered..it looks to be stock suspension..I would like to keep the stance and height but I have to raise the cab up..no leg room what so ever..what can I do and not spend any money?..possible or not?

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i build my frame , right before the firewall bottom of frame i made a slice on each rail the weight of motor spread the slice lowering the front , i than set my height rewelded ,looks great ,nice and easy ...good luck

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

uhoh, another rat rod

hotrodA likes this.
  4. i find it hard to believe that it has all stock `40 Ford pickup suspension. you should post some detailed pictures

X38 likes this.

5. slamdpup

slamdpup

You got any pics?

6. slamdpup

slamdpup

Is it?..I'm new to the 40 ford suspension correct me if I'm wrong
    .it would be nice to know what suspension it is..

7. slamdpup

slamdpup

Rat rod for now..hopefully I can save it and do it right and turn it in to my vision

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Post pics of the front suspension please. We can't guess what you have and give you a good answer. :)

X38 likes this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

The part of the frame that shows isnt a 40 Frame

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

scrub line much???? you've only got 2 - 3 inches under the front corner of the cab as it is?

11. slamdpup

slamdpup

I'm going to raise the cab back up

12. slamdpup

slamdpup

1472412121978.jpg

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

where is the suspension? I see the front spring but what is it attached to? need better pics. thats a Model A frame with god-awful rack and pinion steering. and rigid brake line that will break. You need a 40 frame and start over. Thats really bad ratrod junk

14. i think that there is/was a cross spring in that model A front crossmember with the ends attached the wishbones. i see some brackets on them. also, looks like it's only using 1/2 the rack to steer?

is the axle dropped?

15. slamdpup

slamdpup

I will get a pic in a few this is all I had on my phone..I'm not very fond of this myself

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Best advice is a correct frame, then use the parts that are for traditional hotrods. Maybe the front axle and rear axle, use the cab and maybe the bed. Let a Model A guy have that frame

17. you are going to end up using so few of the parts on it now that i think you would be better off putting it back together and selling it...... then start on something else

need louvers ? likes this.
  18. F&J

F&J

or swap on craigslist for something more conventional.

The way the spring is attached to the wishbones, so far back will not work. You have the whole front weight on the bone mid point. It will bend or break from fatigue cracks.

But I also think because it is cross steer, when you steer it, the front axle will cause the bones to flex sideways. Very scary feeling I would think. This just is not a good setup.

when I suggested something more conventional, that is so you get some driver comfort for longer drives, and conventional front and rear end design will work as designed. Build it once and it will last, rather than the strange things you have now

need louvers ? likes this.
  19. That brake line arrangement is beyond bad. Good grief. Now if that's an indication of the build engineering....it's dangerous junk.

need louvers ?, da34guy and slamdpup like this.
  20. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

for heavens sake its not good ! please do not sell or swap fix it correctly or scrap it don't move it on to a unsuspecting kid as no one is going to last long in that thing

21. It might be bad-mannered to ask, but why did you buy this BEFORE getting some advice from others who have been there? You may be able to save the cab, drivetrain and other bits and pieces, but as previously stated, there is NO sound or safe engineering or forethought in what's shown in the pics. If you're deadset on pursuing a "bobber" style build, then start with a clean sheet of paper and get the frame, suspension, and brakes correct. Don't throw more money at this disaster like it is.

X38 likes this.