Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 frame SBF Speedway motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilDuec, Aug 26, 2016.

1. LilDuec

LilDuec

It's been a looooooong time since I have posted anything on here. I'm rebuilding my 32 and putting a 302 SBF in it. The frame cureently has SBC mounts in it so I'm changing them out. Went with the biscuit style motor mount kit from Speedway Motors but when I got them and installed them I was confused. If I install them with the frame mounts toward the front, they hit the oil filter, if I mount them with the frame mounts to the rear it seems centered on the engine but almost too far back. Called Speedway and they said they should only fit on the engine one way so I'm guessing the frame mounts goes to the rear. Has anyone used these mounts just like this? Also anyone know exactly where they need to be on the frame?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Could you use an angled oil filter adapter to clear the mount? I'm thinking about a sbf on my 32 as well so I'm curious about the mounts too.

3. Think about your exhaust.

4. LilDuec

LilDuec

I've looked into that or an oil filter relocation kit as an option.
    The main thing I'm trying to find out though is if anyone else has used these exact mounts in a 32 to see if I have them set up right. If the frame mount goes forward I would HAVE to use a relocation kit. Speedway doesn't show that as something that's required though so I doubt they go that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. LilDuec

LilDuec

Yeah I thought of it already, I'm goin outside the frame exhaust so that won't be an issue.

6. Steering?

7. LilDuec

LilDuec

Only thing is the Vega box but not worried at it, been done before so the oil filter will be fine unless I do a remote filter like I said.

8. LilDuec

LilDuec

9. Since in one direction they are too far forward, fowling the oil filter and possibly the Vega Box - the other way they are too far back and unbalance the motor. They are just a Bad design. Ford put the center of the motor mount wher ethey did for a reason, those go against that design.

X38 likes this.
  10. I completely agree. The Brookville ones look the same as the Chassis Eng. ones.

11. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I used these and they are actually built well and very strong. Was planning on an angled filter adapter anyway,so no biggy. Also running a F1 box, only issue is I am running a full hood so I am making my own driver exhaust manifold. Actually a nice part, just have to use ingenuity to make them work for your application.

LilDuec likes this.
  12. LilDuec

LilDuec

Awesome that's what I'm looking for, someone who has actually used these. So did you mount these with the frame mounts forward or more towards the middle?
    I thought the same thing when I got these, really thick metal with nice bends in them and made nice.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Re-read @hotroddon's 2 posts. Study the Brookville design. Consider @X38's post. Open your mind to the best choice, rather than "really thick with nice bends in them"...
    Don stated it intelligently and simply: "Ford put the center of the motor mount there for a reason."
    Apply logic. It will usually work to your advantage.

14. F&J

F&J

Nobody has mentioned the large round rubber mount biscuits, and the two qualities available.

The original early Ford biscuits, as well as top quality repros, have a thin steel girdle band at the outer diameter. Cheapie mounts don't, and those will flatten out beyond belief in a few months.

15. LilDuec

LilDuec

Decision made, I'm returning these and going with something else.

117harv and F&J like this.
  16. oj

oj

I don't guess the offset will work in your favor if you swap sides? The one pictured looks to me like it belongs on the passenger side.

17. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

As stated I am running a F1 box, a centered mount like an original Ford 302 mount would not work simply based on the steering box location.

18. LilDuec

LilDuec

That's what I thought too. Called Speedway and they said they only mount one way. Even if I would mount it on the passenger side the drivers side will hit the oil filter.

19. oj

oj

Thats odd, the mounts in the picture with the biscuit showing drivers' side. You can't put the passenger side mounts to the same holes? You show a possible mounting location with oil filter interferrance but that is using a different set of holes. Looks to me you could put the passenger side mount thru the same bolt holes and that will move the frame mount forward instead of rearward.

20. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

The Chassis Engineering ones work great.

21. LilDuec

LilDuec

Well you can put the mount on the passenger side and it does bolt right up to the engine, but the drivers side if you have the same way it will hit the oil filter and not even mount up. Speedway calls these universal mounts but I'm gonna have to go a different route. Either cut these motor mounts I have up and fab something, or pay and eat the shipping to send these back then buy something from Chassis Engineering or Brookville.

22. oj

oj

Damn shame that. Speedway has some good stuff, stuff you can't get elsewhere. Problem is that you can't tell the good stuff from the bad, you would think they could at least get the engineering right on a pair of motor mounts.

LilDuec likes this.
  23. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

There will be a transmission hanging off the back of the motor. No need to worry about "balance".
    Use them.

24. Nonsense - it changes the stress on the bellhousing. It might work OK for a while, but at some point in time, if it gets driven a bunch, it will brake the bellhousing. I've see it happen with poorly designed motor mounts more than once. It is also hard on the motor and trans mounts themselves.
    It may "work" but that doesn't make it right - just because you get away with something doesn't mean it's the Right way to do it.

upspirate likes this.
  25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Welder Series also offers some good SBF motor mount options. I used theirs and was very happy with the results.

(tacked in place)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WelderSeries likes this.
  26. If you do use those replace the rubber biscuits with some from chassis engineering. The speedway ones are crap and will be smashed flat after 6 months of driving.

27. LilDuec

LilDuec

I agree. I think these mounts would work in certain applications, but they wont' work well or look right in a 32 Ford frame. Just my worthless opinion of course.

28. LilDuec

LilDuec

Really? Never thought of that. Have you used these before? I have two sets for some reason, I found a pair sitting around.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  29. Yes I have used these 2 times in the past. The Speedway ones just don't last. But the chassis engineering ones that I used to replace them work quite well. they have a steel cup on the bottom and sleeve inside the larger of the two biscuits. plus you can feel that the rubber is just a better quality than the speedway ones. I had a set laying around my shop (speedway biscuits) and a buddy asked if he could use them on his model A for mounting the small block in it. I gave them to him. 9 months later the biscuits had smashed, split and fallen out of the passengers side making his motor slam down on the frame mount and look like it was going to fall out. Speedway sells them for 20 buck a set, but the Chassis Engineering biscuits are only 10 bucks more. I just put a new motor in my 51 chevy, it has a chassis engineering mount kit in it for the last 20 years. The mounts still look like new and I used them over when I put the new motor back in it. Far better product, spend the 30 buck and get those. you will be glad you did.