Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 Ford Galaxy Fast Back...Saved from the crusher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teched, Jun 15, 2016.

1. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

What do you guys think about Ford Racing M-4841-A? 7 inches long and splined down the last 1/2". Takes a 1330 U-joint which is what they call for in the 63 Galaxie.

2. DeepRoots

DeepRoots

That would work.

Measure the u joint to see what series it is.

3. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I slipped the drive shaft back in and its catching about 1 inch of spline. I think it will be ok to start the engine and attempt to move the car around. No burn outs! ... yet. Here are some picts of the engine. I also attached a pict of a Spring left over from the 4100 Carb rebuild. It looks to be the accelerator pump spring, but it already has one. The vacuum secondary side also has a spring. Where in Hell did it come from. also I hope I don't really need the Equalizer Baffles...cause they broke. Thanks everyone with all the input on this old girl.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. DeepRoots

DeepRoots

Spring from a dashpot?

5. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I gave up on the location of the spring. I have one in the Accelerator pump and one in the secondary. Maybe a "gremlin" left in the bench when I wasn't looking. Moved on to ordering Carb and valve cover gaskets. Should be here in a couple of days.

6. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I have a 62 Galaxie xl.It came with a cruise o magic.I rebuilt ig in 07.Still runs Great!

7. steel spacer 001.JPG steel spacer 002.JPG steel spacer 003.JPG steel spacer 004.JPG Here are pictures of the aluminum PCV and water heated spacer,s and the thin steel plate that's often needed to prevent vacuum leaks. notice the aluminum componets are different and the steel plate has a flat smooth side and the other side milled out to facilate flow.

8. The pictures I posted the aluminum spacers are both pictures of the bottom side where it contacts the intake. The first one pictured will not work without the milled out steel spacer even with the correct intake. it needs that milled passage in order to create vacuum. without the milled steel spacer it just seals off the PCV port.

9. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

My spacer is different. Mine is not recessed like yours. I see how that one would need the steel spacer.

Attached Files:

10. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I think all I need is the Fel Pro 13303 Spacer to Intake gasket and a 60059 for Carb to spacer gasket

11. Yes that's all you need if your intake has the flat extension at the rear . I just posted the pictures to show that Ford did indeed use a steel plate in conjunction with the aluminum spacer on some applications.

12. Do you have the water resivor that attaches to the block. its a necessity on a 61 thru 64 ford to be able to close the hood. I have a extra that one I would sell. Ive owned several early 60,s ford,s back in the day.

13. DeepRoots

DeepRoots

I ran an engine for years in a Galaxie with the crossflow radiator and no surge tank. It's not ideal but it can be done.

14. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I lucked out on finding the expansion tank. I have an old friend that has a "true junkyard" Nowadays we call them scrappers. He is up in his mid 70's and use to race stock cars and seams to have "one" of everything. I stopped in last week just to say Hi and show him the Galaxie Project. I told him I was one the way to another friends to check if his 62 Galaxie with a 292, had an expansion tank. He said "the tank that you put the water in" I said ya. He says "I got one of those out in the trailer body. Sure enough we walk out to the 40' Tractor trailer body, climb up in and laying on top of a shelf was a dam near perfect tank. He handed it to me and says "here ya go" Free "what in hell am I going to do with it" Its about time something workedout in my way on this car.

OahuEli likes this.
  15. The 292 and 6cyl engines had different tanks. The 292 has a hose connection on it .the 6cyl hooked up between two top radiator hoses.

16. town sedan

town sedan

Your right, the FE, Y-Block and 223 all had different tanks.
    Thank you for posting a picture of both parts of the carb spacer. I found mine a week or so ago, but didn't feel the need to put up a photo of it since I was told earlier in the thread that the steel plate it isn't needed. I'd still use it if I was going to plumb the PCV that way.
    -Dave

17. Im still moving my hoard. and I knew right where those parts where at. Some applications need the steel plate some don't. I once owned a 406 engine. It was a tri power. the holley carb gaskets where shrunk. And they weren't the same as regular holley 2bbl or 4 bbl gaskets. And I couldn't find any. So I installed a cast iron 4V intake. Sold the tri power with the air cleaner for $65.

18. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

This is what I got. The holes line up, so it should fit.

Attached Files:

19. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Little more progress. Waiting on Carb Gaskets, Valve cover Gaskets, upper on lower radiator hoses. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. Expansion tank seamed to fit well, and I modified an alternator bracket to hold the One wire Alternator. Where is the correct location to mount the coil? I usually just stick where there is bolt.

Attached Files:

20. The factory usually mounted the coil in horizontal position on the intake right beside the dist. Ive seen a few bolted to the front of the cyl head.

21. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Thanks for the info

22. DeepRoots

DeepRoots

I like the front of the cylinder head as it soaks up less heat that way.

23. birdman1

birdman1

use a converter and flywheel off a 70"s ford pickup with a 360 or 390. make sure the part of the converter that goes into the end of the crankshaft is the same size. some are different.
    I have had 3 fastbacks. loved all of them.

24. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I ended using the flywheel and converter off the seized engine that came out of it. I figured that if it was in their once I should fit again. I bolted the coil to the front of the head last night... looks good. I had it cranking on the starter last night. I need to adjust the valves and figured it would be easier that tuning it by hand. I got the correct carb gaskets and installed that last night. Can't find the tube that goes to the PCV and back of manifold. Put it somewhere just cant lay my hand on it. Radiator hoses tranny lines are going on tonight. Getting real close to firing it up!

25. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Oil filter housing on and filled with 6 quarts in the pan and one in the filter of 15w40 Shell Rotella. I have primed the pump and I am showing about 10lbs of oil pressure cranking it with a 1/2 drill at full RPM. Is that low? It snaps right up there as soon as I touch the trigger on the drill, but no higher. I still need to adjust the valve lash, is .020 about right?

26. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Replaced Guage and
    I got 50lbs ...Whew!!!! Thought I was in trouble.

27. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Unless you have aftermarket higher capacity oil pan you should only need 5 quarts oil with the filter.