Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine swap 1950 Chrysler 6 to a 340

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CaptChris, Aug 26, 2016.

1. CaptChris

CaptChris

I guess the HAMB is a good place to start. Here is my car, it's a 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport. I've driven it for 8 years. It's a pig. Original 250ci inline with the fluid drive that can't get out of it's own way. Plus it uses way too much fuel to go so slow. I was gonna keep it original but the car is far from cherry so I decided to swap in a 340 because I found a deal on a rebuilt one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am a beginner when it comes to swapping motors. I'm a bike guy, starting to be more of a car guy. So I have lots of questions when it comes to putting the 340 in.
    Here is the motor I found, 1973 340 new rebuilt with performance parts.
    [​IMG]

All done I want this in the car with an auto tranny with overdrive.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Darkfour

Darkfour
    from Florida

Lots of info available here http://p15-d24.com/

I have a 440/727 combination in my 50 Plymouth but that's probably too OT for here. The previous owner did the install so I can't tell you much about it.

3. George

George

You'll need a rear sump oil pan, oil pick up tube, dipstick & tube from a 318/360 out of a Pick Up or Van. On the smaller Plym/Dodges the engine is offset to the passenger side an inch or so & a small dent on the pass side firewall to clear the valve cover, don't know if it's nessesary on the Chr. "Butches Cool Stuff", if still around, has motor mounts. A tranny mount should be easy to fab if you weld. Probably will have to trim the inner fenders

need louvers ? likes this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

There are several similar swaps over at p15-d24.
    I'd expect an easy swap since the Chrysler is physically larger than the usual Dodge or Plymouth project. You may still find a need for the 'Dart' exhaust manifold, dunno.

5. CaptChris

CaptChris

Thanks! I will check that forum out. Seems to be the proper place for more exact info. I was imagining the need for a block hugger header, this engine bay isn't very large.

6. George

George

Might also want to look into front shock relocation & disc brake conversion

need louvers ? likes this.
  7. daliant

daliant

Hope you can fabricate stuff, there's little aftermarket support for these cars.